Cuonzo v Barnes v Pearl

Cuonzo is in his 8th year at Cal. He was in his 4th year as a head coach when he started at TN. I wouldn't be surprised if he's successful at California. I would have been surprised if he hadn't peaked in his 3rd year had he stayed at TN.

We have Cuonzo to thank for one decent post season run in three years. We also have him to thank for chasing Wes Washpun out of town before he even learned how to tie his shoes. Imagine this year's team with an elite point guard. Could have been the difference between a mediocre and good year. Cuonzo may have cost us a tourney run this year with his crappy talent evaluation.

Reactions: 1 person
We have Cuonzo to thank for one decent post season run in three years. We also have him to thank for chasing Wes Washpun out of town before he even learned how to tie his shoes. Imagine this year's team with an elite point guard. Could have been the difference between a mediocre and good year. Cuonzo may have cost us a tourney run this year with his crappy talent evaluation.

Last season would have been Wes' last if he stayed.

Reactions: 2 people

Ummmmm did you miss UT basketball circa 2014-15???

Reactions: 3 people
Cuonzo is a mediocre coach and a slightly better recruiter. In 8 years two NCAA tournaments and one Sweet Sixteen. Pearl had those in his four years coaching D1 at Milwaukee.
And Pearl also had two losing seasons at Auburn. Cuonzo is still in 40s. He has a lot of time to grow as a man, a father and a coach.

But let's keep going off Cuonzo's 3 year stint here. Its not like its been TWO years since he last coached here.

And Pearl also had two losing seasons at Auburn. Cuonzo is still in 40s. He has a lot of time to grow as a man, a father and a coach.

But let's keep going off Cuonzo's 3 year stint here. Its not like its been TWO years since he last coached here.

Lets not even think about Cuonzo at all....he finished fourth in the pac 12.....congrats

While we finished 12th in arguably the worst Power 5 basketball conference :crazy:

that's bc we had Zo and CDT which depleted our roster....His recruiting was abysmal while here....I understand the clamoring for Pearl although I consider him the enemy now and cherish every loss he has but Zo has accomplished very very little in his career so far. Its absolutely ridiculous.

Zo's not our coach. If he's great? Doesn't affect us. If he's mediocre? Doesn't affect us.

Oh, I can see why many may wish pretend Martin had never been a part of Tennessee basketball history. He left Tennessee largely because of a ill-conceived petition to bring back another former coach who had no hope of ever being re-hired.

Regardless of the forum, there is nothing wrong with discussing history, however unpleasant it may make some feel. Those who ignore its lessons will repeat their mistakes.

There is one big snag in your thinking. At least 99% of the people engaging in this discussion only fantasize about being in a position to repeat past mistakes. And the 1 percent that MIGHT? They would be smart enough not to reveal themselves.

So, continue the exercise in futility and may it at least provide you with some sense of.....whatever.

Any discussion of Barnes, Pearl and Martin should relate to how they are coaching now, how they might be remembered based on the totality of their career at all their coaching stops and what they have accomplished at UT.

I think in many of the discussions, people are talking about different things. From my perspective Zoe is coaching better now than he did at UT. BP is not doing as well and Barnes seems to be doing a better job here than he did at Texas with his personnel but not recruiting as well.

In terms of accomplishments at UT., Zoe had three guys that have played in the NBA and yet fairly managed to get into the play in game and have a good run. His other two years were a combination of boring basketball and on the job training. He left with four recruits signed that have done nothing meaningful at their other schools.

BP's on the court record here speaks for itself. It is ridiculous to act like Cunzo Martin had a good career here. He had a few good weeks and good PR. That says nothing about character and potential in the future as a coach but that is a different conversation as it relates to Zoe and BP

Worst mistake Tennessee made is running Cuonzo out of town.He was going to make Tennessee an elite program. Dumbace fans!

Reactions: 2 people
I'll take RB over the other two any day, and yawl know that I love Bruce Pearl, but Rick Barnes is the man, by the way, did anyone else hear BP mistakenly call Auburn Tennessee twice in his interview right before the Tennessee/Auburn BB game this week! Man loves him some Tennessee!

When are we going to stop talking about Martin and Pearl? Neither of them Coach here. Martin sucked out loud when he was at UT. That's why fans wanted him gone....plain and simple. He underachieved the entire time he was at UT and that includes his last team. That team should have been a solid 5 seed or better...getting into a play in game which took last second heroics to win then getting lucky draws to get you a couple more DOES NOT make him a good coach.

You give Martin the roster Barnes had this year and they wouldn't have won 10 games.....period....end of story.

It has nothing to do with race, religion, personality, or anything else.....the guy can't coach.

No agenda...no wanting Bruce back....nothing other than support for the current staff and team.....and a willingness to forget the previous jokers who tried to destroy our basketball program.

I'll take RB over the other two any day, and yawl know that I love Bruce Pearl, but Rick Barnes is the man, by the way, did anyone else hear BP mistakenly call Auburn Tennessee twice in his interview right before the Tennessee/Auburn BB game this week! Man loves him some Tennessee!

I heard it one time and figured that I misheard.

Worst mistake Tennessee made is running Cuonzo out of town.He was going to make Tennessee an elite program. Dumbace fans!

He sucks out loud. Worst mistake we ever made was hiring a guy like that to replace Bruce. Dude's a joke who will make excuses for everything and take responsibility for nothing.

But to be fair.....He's a joke at a very high level.

VN Store

Back