Cuonzo Martin met with Marquette Sunday afternoon

When did the donors pull their planes? I was under the impression that was recent. Its showing the AD you expect more. I don't agree with it but maybe if I was dropping a lot of money on what appears like a failed product some might change their mind.

They did that after the 2nd Texas A&M loss.

Most programs don't have boosters pull planes to sabotage the current coach to get an old one back, then have 36K fans call for the old coach during the middle of the season.

It's not the criticism. It's the sabotage/drama that would make Cuonzo leave.

I agree with you on the booster part. That's not just sabotaging Cuonzo, that's sabotaging the program. I think the petition is easier to get around (it's just stupid fans, it was fans wanting Bruce and he's taken with a huge buyout, and you can probably half that number because I know people that signed three times, I swear).

Not that it helps, but the booster issue is bigger. Fearing they'd turn on you would give a potential coach pause.

Remember how the boosters helped with fulmer...yeah the football team is finally seeing the light again after 8708080 years...I'd rather not go through that with the basketball team too

I agree with you on the booster part. That's not just sabotaging Cuonzo, that's sabotaging the program. I think the petition is easier to get around (it's just stupid fans, it was fans wanting Bruce and he's taken with a huge buyout, and you can probably half that number because I know people that signed three times, I swear).

Not that it helps, but the booster issue is bigger. Fearing they'd turn on you would give a potential coach pause.

I think at that point, the only option for the AD is to either hire someone completely unknown who is willing to risk getting the rug pulled out from under him, or to shell out some serious cash on a "name" coach who will unite the fanbase on day one.

There's a million other ways to go about it. Trying to sabotage the coach during the season is not only asinine, but absolutely stupid, especially for a coach that is a great guy, giving his all for the program, and is not embarrassing the university in any way.

How do we know it was for recruiting efforts? Maybe they pulled out knowing that Marquette was interested?

If boosters pulled their planes because of just Pearl...that is stupid. But if its just a bold statement to our AD, there is clearly more to that story. Maybe Hart is a prick and I'd love to see how it went to pulling planes. That's not a first step kind of move.

I think at that point, the only option for the AD is to either hire someone completely unknown who is willing to risk getting the rug pulled out from under him, or to shell out some serious cash on a "name" coach who will unite the fanbase on day one.

I fear it will be the first option, but we can hope for the second. We DO have good basketball fans. They just wanted to win. I hope it's the second option, but I'm not counting on it.

Just wondering why pulling planes would be an ultimate problem on the recruiting trail. How many planes do we really need? 3 would be the max in one day, right?

Just wondering why pulling planes would be an ultimate problem on the recruiting trail. How many planes do we really need? 3 would be the max in one day, right?

I think its more about the principles but flying commercial is more time consuming.

UT bball is about to get really bad because of our incompetent administration. Even though bUTch, CM, and Serrano may be good coaches, our athletic program as a whole will never be consistently successful in any sport with the people we have at the top.

Reactions: 4 people
UT bball is about to get really bad because of our incompetent administration. Even though bUTch, CM, and Serrano may be good coaches, our athletic program as a whole will never be consistently successful in any sport with the people we have at the top.

I approve this message

Reactions: 1 person
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

That's what this thread sounds like.

If I'm giving someone access to a multi-million dollar piece of equipment that costs 7000 dollars an hour to run and I don't agree with how it's being used, it's perfectly within my rights to deny use of it and there's not a damn thing wrong with doing it.

As a program, we'll be fine without Martin if he wants to bail. I swear the way some of you are doom and gloom posting you'd think it's 1962 and John Wooden is about to walk out on us while we're on the verge of a NC winning spree.

Instead, in the best case scenario, we'll be battling hard not to be in the NIT again next season.

Reactions: 2 people
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

That's what this thread sounds like.

If I'm giving someone access to a multi-million dollar piece of equipment that costs 7000 dollars an hour to run and I don't agree with how it's being used, it's perfectly within my rights to deny use of it and there's not a damn thing wrong with doing it.

As a program, we'll be fine without Martin if he wants to bail. I swear the way some of you are doom and gloom posting you'd think it's 1962 and John Wooden is about to walk out on us while we're on the verge of a NC winning spree.

Instead, in the best case scenario, we'll be battling hard not to be in the NIT again next season.

It's not that we think Martin is a great coach. It's that the alternative has the potential to be much worse. And from what LWS is saying, the AD isn't willing to put money into basketball, which means we could be facing bottom-dweller status is yet another sport.

It's not that we think Martin is a great coach. It's that the alternative has the potential to be much worse. And from what LWS is saying, the AD isn't willing to put money into basketball, which means we could be facing bottom-dweller status is yet another sport.

I don't know why we'd be a bottom dweller. I know Martin isn't leaving a great roster but there's a ton of bad teams in the SEC. I have no idea why people automatically assume we'll hire someone awful. I mean my gosh, our last hire had never been to an NCAA tournament, had hardly any experience at all, recruited terribly and people were apparently quite happy with him. So it shouldn't take much to please the fans, at least for a couple of years.

Reactions: 3 people
"...and there is significant interest from the Golden Eagles in hiring Martin away from the Vols, multiple sources told ESPN.com.
Sources told ESPN.com that discussions are underway between the two parties, but Tennessee still has an opportunity to keep Martin."

ESPN article reads more like there is already an offer. I'd be surprised at this point if he stays.

My hypothesis: the boosters put enormous pressure on Hart to reach out to Pearl after the second Texas A&M loss, operating under the assumption that we wouldn't make the Dance and Martin would then be (justifiably?) fired. Pulling the use of the planes is an obvious vote of no confidence. Only it blew up in their face, as the team got hot, made the Dance, and came within a terrible foul call of making the Elite 8. Pearl quickly realized that Martin couldn't be fired and took the best job he could get at the time. And now Martin is a hot commodity. You reap what you sow.

Reactions: 1 person
Numbers I've looked at recently state that the net revenue from men's basketball at UTK is just under $7 million a year. Women's basketball is losing about a million a year. So you've got close to $6 million a year in "excess" much of which is probably allocated to funding other sports. I'm curious to know what they could spend if they did open the checkbook? Could they even afford a $3 million a year coach?

Numbers I've looked at recently state that the net revenue from men's basketball at UTK is just under $7 million a year. Women's basketball is losing about a million a year. So you've got close to $6 million a year in "excess" much of which is probably allocated to funding other sports. I'm curious to know what they could spend if they did open the checkbook? Could they even afford a $3 million a year coach?

Pearl's last contract was for 2.3 million a season. Of course revenue has slipped under Martin if it's under 7 million per season now. It was 4.2 under Buzz and had risen to 8.5 under Pearl in 2009. So it looks like the right coach could probably bump revenue up 2 million or more.

I do wonder why the Lady Vols lose money. Are they paying Warlick an outrageous salary? I've not kept up with it. I would think she'd be making half or less of Summit's salary. That should have freed up revenue on that side.

Marquette wasn't interested until after our run I'm sure

More like when Buzz left. I'm sure there has always been somewhat interest just because there are strong ties between Marquette and TN.

1. Jon Harris and his wife played at Marquette
2. Tyler Summitt is an assistant on the women's Bball team.
3. The ENTIRE staff knows that area
4. Long shot theory ---BUT --- TN snagged O'Neil from Marquette. Wouldn't it be nice to return the favor?

More like when Buzz left. I'm sure there has always been somewhat interest just because there are strong ties between Marquette and TN.

1. Jon Harris and his wife played at Marquette
2. Tyler Summitt is an assistant on the women's Bball team.
3. The ENTIRE staff knows that area
4. Long shot theory ---BUT --- TN snagged O'Neil from Marquette. Wouldn't it be nice to return the favor?

Just get some sleep.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back