Cuonzo Martin met with Marquette Sunday afternoon

I don't have names. Just common sense. And I'm not going to make up a conversation with somebody that occurred in my imagination to try and convince you otherwise. I'm not emotional at all. Having a beer and listening to Radiohead. I just don't care what you have to say, to be honest.
Wish you a good day though. It's nice outside.

Like I said, it was meant as a completely honest question. I go into more detail in my edit above, but no....I don't think that there's many coaches who would have Tennessee winning 22-25 games a year, making the NCAAT every year, a deep run every other year that would want to stay at Tennessee forever.

Maybe I'm wrong, but common sense tells me that in what, 100 years of Tennessee basketball they've not had it yet, so I doubt they're going to.

Like I said, it was meant as a completely honest question. I go into more detail in my edit above, but no....I don't think that there's many coaches who would have Tennessee winning 22-25 games a year, making the NCAAT every year, a deep run every other year that would want to stay at Tennessee forever.

Maybe I'm wrong, but common sense tells me that in what, 100 years of Tennessee basketball they've not had it yet, so I doubt they're going to.

You could say the same about FL pre-Donovan.

You could say the same about FL pre-Donovan.

Absolutely, and kudos to them for continually doing what was necessary to keep him. Im saying I have little faith in Hart(previously Hamilton) to do that.

Example being....

I know this is far fetched, but let's say Martin makes an elite 8 next year....do you see Hart giving him a raise up to $2.5m, inserting a massive buyout to keep him from leaving, and increasing his assistants salaries again? Discussing plans for improvements to the outside of TBA, an increased basketball budget, and plans for a new players dormitory?

In other words, him doing everything within his power to keep Martin happy and as the coach at Tennessee for as long as possible?

I don't, but that's jmo.

Absolutely, and kudos to them for continually doing what was necessary to keep him. Im saying I have little faith in Hart(previously Hamilton) to do that.

Example being....

I know this is far fetched, but let's say Martin makes an elite 8 next year....do you see Hart giving him a raise up to $2.5m, inserting a massive buyout to keep him from leaving, and increasing his assistants salaries again? Discussing plans for improvements to the outside of TBA, an increased basketball budget, and plans for a new players dormitory?

In other words, him doing everything within his power to keep Martin happy and as the coach at Tennessee for as long as possible?

I don't, but that's jmo.

I think he would if he felt Martin was the right guy. I don't think he thinks Martin is the right guy. I don't think it's coaching as much as it is his personality. I don't think he's a fit here. Round hole square peg sort of thing.

I think we were on that path with Pearl before his shenanigans. I think Pearl was building something. I think the UT AD was prepared to spend what it took to keep him. Primary reason was because it made sense financially. JMO

I think he would if he felt Martin was the right guy. I don't think he thinks Martin is the right guy. I don't think it's coaching as much as it is his personality. I don't think he's a fit here. Round hole square peg sort of thing.

I think we were on that path with Pearl before his shenanigans. I think Pearl was building something. I think the UT AD was prepared to spend what it took to keep him. Primary reason was because it made sense financially. JMO
I disagree, respectfully. If Hart knew Martin wasn't the right guy, he wouldn't be extending Martin; he would cut the ties now.

Pearl was deteriorating. I'm not saying that as a Martin-lover or Pearl-hater, but as a neutral Tennessee fan. Pearl had a lot of trouble keeping his guys in the games, not to mention had trouble disciplining his guys. Over time, the hype would settle down and Pearl would have gotten flushed out. His energy and charisma seemed to be depreciating during his last two years here.

If Hart felt he was the right guy it would've already been done. They know it's short-lived. Hart doesn't want to get burned on a buyout and Martin's side knows he wants to be somewhere else whenever the time is right and wont be saddled with a big buyout. Both sides are doing what they should be doing in this particular situation from a business standpoint.

Averages 20 wins a season. lol.

And Stan Heath made an elite 8 run with Kent St. Meaningless in the grand scheme.

You're being emotional again, why can't you have an actual discussion without becoming a 16 year old teenage girl on the rag?

It was a honest question. If you're saying that Joe Shmo would love to come here and get paid $1.5m the next 20 years and win 16-18 games a year making the NCAAT 1/6 years...I agree. I assumed you were referring to someone better than Martin though, a coach who averages 20 wins a season NCAAT 1/3 years and Sweet 16.

So no, I don't believe you would find many coaches who are gonna say have Tennessee consistently in the dance and making runs, as wanting to stay at Tennessee forever.

Jmo

I disagree, respectfully. If Hart knew Martin wasn't the right guy, he wouldn't be extending Martin; he would cut the ties now.

Pearl was deteriorating. I'm not saying that as a Martin-lover or Pearl-hater, but as a neutral Tennessee fan. Pearl had a lot of trouble keeping his guys in the games, not to mention had trouble disciplining his guys. Over time, the hype would settle down and Pearl would have gotten flushed out. His energy and charisma seemed to be depreciating during his last two years here.

It's all conjecture as to Pearl. TBA was rocking even during his tumultuous final year. Recruiting was getting better every year except when the cloud moved in over the program. I think we were on an upward trajectory with Pearl but that's JMO.

You guys could be right about martin looking to leave but you're missing one key point - you're assuming he's going to have chances. He just had by far the most talented roster he's ever going to have here and still had to play a play-in game just to be in the tourney.

When he's playing with his own recruits, and we're mired in NIT-land (or worse), how many chances do you think he's gonna get? If he leaves it won't be to go to purdue. It'll be to join Wade Houston at his trucking company, or whatever it was he started when he left here.

If Hart felt he was the right guy it would've already been done. They know it's short-lived. Hart doesn't want to get burned on a buyout and Martin's side knows he wants to be somewhere else whenever the time is right and wont be saddled with a big buyout. Both sides are doing what they should be doing in this particular situation from a business standpoint.

As to Martin, if Hart thought Martin was the man, Marquette would have never entered into the equation. Hart would have nipped it in the bud.

You guys could be right about martin looking to leave but you're missing one key point - you're assuming he's going to have chances. He just had by far the most talented roster he's ever going to have here and still had to play a play-in game just to be in the tourney.

When he's playing with his own recruits, and we're mired in NIT-land (or worse), how many chances do you think he's gonna get? If he leaves it won't be to go to purdue. It'll be to join Wade Houston at his trucking company, or whatever it was he started when he left here.

That's what I've been saying. His advisors and agent are completely aware of the outlook should Stokes and Rhett stay.
Really, that tandem is pretty close to the top factor in all the discussions and possible directions in the next 2-3.years. it's like a big map on the wall, one direction goes one way and one goes the other. That's the stokes/Rhett decision.

Neutral? lmao

Last two years? He made an elite eight the yr before he was fired and had possibly his best recruiting class during his tenure.....he wasnt slowing down.

Last two years? He made an elite eight the yr before he was fired and had possibly his best recruiting class during his tenure.....he wasnt slowing down.
I'm the one speaking Jibberish. What the hell am I thinking?

VN Store

Back