Cuonzo Martin met with Marquette Sunday afternoon

If true, and considering the waning support when the program could've used a fanbase with more backbone (including yours truly), I think Zo would be well within his rights to examine his options. It's most fortunate the way UT conducted themselves; showed the world that Tennessee belonged in the big dance and that playing there would be a positive experience for a young athlete. April is going to be a month of questions and answers when coaching at UT is in the conversation. I hope he sticks around. If not, though, I think some seriously good HC's would take our program seriously. I'd still love for Pearl to somehow end up in Knoxville, but if not there are some others, like Gregg Marshall and Kirby Smart and Joe Dooley. Who have I missed here? Thank you Mr. Martin. You've conducted yourself as a classy coach and you're an exemplary gentleman. Just please make your decision known ASAP. Let's keep Stokes on board and we should be competitive, if we pick up another inside monster to replace Maymon and pick up on 3's plus steady up at PG, we'll dance again.

1) He's underpaid according to his results.

2) Boosters tried to sabotage him.

3) With Pearl coming back, he's always going to be compared to Pearl.

Why would you want to be here again?

Reactions: 2 people
IMO, and of course ill get flamed with silly insults, this is a win-win. Yes. We could easily miss the dance for the next few seasons if Martin leaves and Hart goofs up this new hire but Martin isn't the answer IMO. Most of you "keep Martin" folks was on the same bandwagon a few weeks ago so why flame if some of us still share that same opinion? We have a chance to get a proven coach that UT may or may not open the checkbook for...or we'll get an up and comer who is a wait and see type of guy. Three years with Martin and I'm happy to see UT take their chances with either of those two routes.

Reactions: 4 people
You guys know I called for Cuonzo's release at the end of the year (that's why I'm not the AD) and even after our really nice run I don't think he's going to be the guy to get Tennessee in the NCAAT consistently.

But this whole thing has the potential to be really, really, really bad for the program. Cuonzo leaving would be an absolute cluster**** in terms national news for the program. Couple that with UT potentially not wanting to spend money....and this could be a disaster.

I agree.

Were about to get really bad really fast.

You guys know I called for Cuonzo's release at the end of the year (that's why I'm not the AD) and even after our really nice run I don't think he's going to be the guy to get Tennessee in the NCAAT consistently.

But this whole thing has the potential to be really, really, really bad for the program. Cuonzo leaving would be an absolute cluster**** in terms national news for the program. Couple that with UT potentially not wanting to spend money....and this could be a disaster.

Yep, the press will tie it to the petition, maybe even the booster thing. It has the potential to be embarrassing and damaging to the program.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO, and of course ill get flamed with silly insults, this is a win-win. Yes. We could easily miss the dance for the next few seasons if Martin leaves and Hart goofs up this new hire but Martin isn't the answer IMO. Most of you "keep Martin" folks was on the same bandwagon a few weeks ago so why flame if some of us still share that same opinion? We have a chance to get a proven coach that UT may or may not open the checkbook for...or we'll get an up and comer who is a wait and see type of guy. Three years with Martin and I'm happy to see UT take their chances with either of those two routes.

If I'm an up and comer I'd think twice about coming to UT since we've shown that we're not willing to give a coach a chance to grow into the job. Petitions and loss of large donor support during the third year which turns into a sweet 16 run aren't going to give a young coach a good feeling about this job.

Yep, the press will tie it to the petition, maybe even the booster thing. It has the potential to be embarrassing and damaging to the program.

Simply an afterthought IMO. Doesn't matter. Coaches are here to win and when they don't fan bases voice their opinion. Tennessee is no different than other fan bases.

Reactions: 5 people
I think the money comment is speculation. Clearly, boosters care more than we thought. That's actually a pretty bold move by then. History does suggest that his assumptions are spot on. UT doesn't spend money on coaches...maybe a strong push from the boosters changes that perspective.

Does Peyton like basketball?

Simply an afterthought IMO. Doesn't matter. Coaches are here to win and when they don't fan bases voice their opinion. Tennessee is no different than other fan bases.

Most programs don't have boosters pull planes to sabotage the current coach to get an old one back, then have 36K fans call for the old coach during the middle of the season.

It's not the criticism. It's the sabotage/drama that would make Cuonzo leave.

First one I've ever heard of. I'd say it's a little different than idle message board grumbling.

If I'm an up and comer I'd think twice about coming to UT since we've shown that we're not willing to give a coach a chance to grow into the job. Petitions and loss of large donor support during the third year which turns into a sweet 16 run aren't going to give a young coach a good feeling about this job.

At the same time, the world has also seen how united and loud a majority of the fan base was for Pearl. I know the bad generally out weighs the good but we are a compassionate fan base. This isn't a job you learn on and our facilities are some of the nicest in the country. If a coach feels he can win here...it won't matter because remember the lack of support for Martin went national when he struggled with this talented roster in year three....its not like donors turned their back or petitions were created at unreasonable times.

Reactions: 3 people
It's an extremely toxic fan base on all fronts. Never seen anything like it. If he leaves and all the negative exposure starts to get out there you're gonna see a terrible team for the foreseeable future. Short term it's going to be brutal.

1. That Hart won't counter.
2. That some boosters pulled planes on Zo
3. That if we have to make a hire it'll be a similar pay grade to current Zo

That last one is the most frustrating. Watching auburn make a good hire, Va Tech do the same, Dayton retain their coach....and Tennessee lose theirs and replace him with John Doe from SCXU who's never made the NCAAT, pathetic.

Howland? He's currently making NO PAY.

At the same time, the world has also seen how united and loud a majority of the fan base was for Pearl. I know the bad generally out weighs the good but we are a compassionate fan base. This isn't a job you learn on and our facilities are some of the nicest in the country. If a coach feels he can win here...it won't matter because remember the lack of support for Martin went national when he struggled with this talented roster in year three....its not like donors turned their back or petitions were created at unreasonable times.

You start trying to sabotage a coach during the season, yes that is unreasonable timing.

Howland? He's currently making NO PAY.

If Zo leaves, I think the AD might as well hire him at this point. The UT job is going to be toxic to a lot of coaches, but Howland himself apparently is toxic. Match made in heaven.

It's an extremely toxic fan base on all fronts. Never seen anything like it. If he leaves and all the negative exposure starts to get out there you're gonna see a terrible team for the foreseeable future. Short term it's going to be brutal.

If Cuonzo was winning 25 games a year, this wouldn't be an issue. It's not like the fanbase/boosters/donors were trying to fire him despite great basketball. The way it happened was stupid however.

There's a difference between voicing and sabotaging. The boosters crossed a line.

You start trying to sabotage a coach during the season, yes that is unreasonable timing.

When did the donors pull their planes? I was under the impression that was recent. Its showing the AD you expect more. I don't agree with it but maybe if I was dropping a lot of money on what appears like a failed product some might change their mind.

If Zo leaves, I think the AD might as well hire him at this point. The UT job is going to be toxic to a lot of coaches, but Howland himself apparently is toxic. Match made in heaven.

Maybe He could break some rules and buy Tennessee some top notch talent.:rock:

When did the donors pull their planes? I was under the impression that was recent. Its showing the AD you expect more. I don't agree with it but maybe if I was dropping a lot of money on what appears like a failed product some might change their mind.

There's a million other ways to go about it. Trying to sabotage the coach during the season is not only asinine, but absolutely stupid, especially for a coach that is a great guy, giving his all for the program, and is not embarrassing the university in any way.

And if boosters are pulling these kinds of moves, doesn't it seem like a Martin type of hire is less likely to happen? It sounds to me like they are willing to pay more for a proven coach. JMO

If Cuonzo was winning 25 games a year, this wouldn't be an issue. It's not like the fanbase/boosters/donors were trying to fire him despite great basketball. The way it happened was stupid however.

There's a difference between voicing and sabotaging. The boosters crossed a line.

He won 24

And if boosters are pulling these kinds of moves, doesn't it seem like a Martin type of hire is less likely to happen? It sounds to me like they are willing to pay more for a proven coach. JMO

1) No, because what coach wants to come to a program where the boosters tried to sabotage you during the season?

2) Maybe, but from what I've heard/read/seen, that doesn't seem likely.

3) The boosters wasn't strictly a "Fire Cuonzo" move. A LOT of it had to do with wanting Pearl back. Pearl isn't on the market right now.

VN Store

Back