Cruitin' Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RyanCallahan247
Five-star QB David Cornwell
DavidCornwell5) visits #Tennessee
Vols again: bit.ly/11RKpQI

I’ve known about Coach Mahoney so long I forgot I knew him. We hated him at Tulane because their guys were always no worse than good. And frickin’ engineers and crap like that.

As much as it’s gonna bug the star-watchers, I don’t think he’s gonna change his spots. I get the feeling they’ll be 3-stars with the occasional 4-star. And exactly like Wisconsin has been doing, they’ll be churning out NFL draft picks.

I’ve known about Coach Mahoney so long I forgot I knew him. We hated him at Tulane because their guys were always no worse than good. And frickin’ engineers and crap like that.

As much as it’s gonna bug the star-watchers, I don’t think he’s gonna change his spots. I get the feeling they’ll be 3-stars with the occasional 4-star. And exactly like Wisconsin has been doing, they’ll be churning out NFL draft picks.

I could live with that...it seems that o-linemen are developed differently with this staff...whatever it takes...I'll be patient
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Here's a name to look out for in the draft tonight that I saw in a recent mock projection...obviously comes from a well known football factory that we are all familiar with.

Seventh round (226th overall) New England Patriots
Luke Marquardt, OT, Azusa-Pacific

I know BB has been asking about Lemond Johnson, so here are some quotes from an interview with Martinez on Lemond Johnson, JRM, and some on Riyahd:

On Lemond Johnson:
“He’s done great. You know, he has,” Martinez said. “It’s a major advantage for a kid that comes out (in January). For us, in our program, that’s a major advantage for you to be here. He should be in high school right now, going through prom and enjoying his last half-semester of high school, and he’s here.

"It’s kind of like a redshirt year. He’s going through it all, learning how to do things, you know, seeing how everything is operating. He can make his mistakes without trying to get ready for a game other than a spring game, and he’s going to class, seeing how to manage time, how to get everything in, how you’re going to be able to juggle things from the standpoint of football and weight training and academics and getting a good balance.

“He’s got a great idea of it, and he’s done a great job with it — as the other guys have, too. I’ve got some other new guys, too. I’ve got Riyahd that’s done that, and Jalen. He’s been able to do that, too. That’s been a major advantage.”

On JRM:
“No, I’m not (worried), ‘cause I think he’s a safety,” Martinez said. “I think he can still play that position. He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do other than the things he has to do on the field, obviously, ‘cause he’s been injured. But he’s been really good in academics, he’s been really good off the field — whether it’s community service or whatnot — with the way he’s handed his business about it. I’m excited about him.

“And I know everybody keeps on talking about depth a linebacker and everything else, but we need depth at the safety position for our future, and I think he’ll do a great job.”

“Whatever the case might be, he’s gonna be a guy that we’re looking forward to seeing on the field come this fall,” Martinez said.

Va. Beach school may have 5 ex-players in NFL draft | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter is a possible first-rounder; Syracuse strong safety Shamarko Thomas is expected to go between the second and fourth rounds; Virginia Tech wide receiver Marcus Davis has been told he could be picked anywhere between the second and sixth rounds; and Virginia Tech tight end Randall Dunn and Syracuse defensive end/linebacker Brandon Sharpe could go in the later rounds or sign as free agents.

need to keep our hands in this area

Just thought I'd point out that LT Eric Fisher, who bUTch recruited to Central Michigan in the 2008 Class, is projected to go number 1 in the NFL Draft tonight by Todd McShay.

Even if he doesn't he's a top 3 LT, and McShay thinks all 3 LT are the best players in this draft, and will all be picked in the first 4 picks! Just more confirmation of bUTch's excellent talent evaluating!

Reactions: 2 people
Just thought I'd point out that LT Eric Fisher, who bUTch recruited to Central Michigan in the 2008 Class, is projected to go number 1 in the NFL Draft tonight by Todd McShay.

Even if he doesn't he's a top 3 LT, and McShay thinks all 3 LT are the best players in this draft, and will all be picked in the first 4 picks! Just more confirmation of bUTch's excellent talent evaluating!

Ethan Wolf anybody?

completely agree - and 1 of the many reasons I am not on board with SEC expansion - likely targets are in NC and VA and that could be a huge selling point for CBJ to pitch to kids in those areas - stay close to home and play in the best conference in america - or you could go play high school ball in the ACC

I completely agree, which is why I think the ACC grant of rights this week was so huge not only for preserving that conference but for UT in the SEC. Folks advocating for Virginia Tech, UNC, or NC State should realize that the states of Virginia and North Carolina are among our main recruiting grounds, and a major selling point we have over these schools (besides tradition and facilities) is the SEC. Might not make as much difference as I'd think, but it would probably win us at least 1-3 recruits every cycle we might not otherwise have gotten.

Reactions: 3 people
Will the Tennessee Volunteers Make a Bowl Game in 2013? | AthlonSports.com

Interesting how the national media's goals and our fanbases expectations for our team this year don't mesh. 7-5 would be a COTY type season.

6-6 or 7-5 is reasonable to me. We have enough talent to get to a bowl game. It is really about this coaching staff removing doubt and increasing expectations. I was just talking with someone about the talent we will have starting next year, and I believe there will be 6-7 drafted eventually from that group.

This is how the rest of the SEC will begin to see Butch Jones and his recruiting prowess:

The-Butcher-2009-K-Movie.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Jalen Hurd

SIAP. Very good article.

I know some folks worry that 2014 could be another 6-6 type year, since we'll have a lot of guys graduating (particularly along the OL). We'll see how things shake out, but I'm more optimistic about 2014, especially since we should have a 230 pounder that runs a 4.4 40 charging out of our backfield...

Reactions: 1 person
Jalen Hurd

SIAP. Very good article.

I know some folks worry that 2014 could be another 6-6 type year, since we'll have a lot of guys graduating (particularly along the OL). We'll see how things shake out, but I'm more optimistic about 2014, especially since we should have a 230 pounder that runs a 4.4 40 charging out of our backfield...

ill take 6-6 if we can find a QB - that is my main concern - and i think you are right about 2014 if we find a QB b/c Hurd has the makings of a day 1 absolute stud - something we haven't had at RB in quite some time

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back