Cruitin' Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
247, good read on our LBers...SIAP.

Tennessee’s first-year linebackers coach said a few of his players — especially seniors John Propst and Channing Fugate — exceeded his initial expectations.

“I tell you, Propst is a lot better than I thought,” Thigpen told 247Sports. “He’s gonna help us win some games this year, I really believe that, ‘cause he’s a coach. He really gets it. He’s a smart, cerebral kid, and he has a lot of pride in his game. Fugate’s the same way. All he does is come out here and go out 200 percent. Christian Harris is another guy that plays really well and within the system, and I think we’ll continue to watch him grow. He’ll be exciting to watch for us, as well.

“And then guys like Dontavis Sapp, I think he grew up a lot. I think Greg King has grown up, too. It goes up to the leadership from our head coach to our defensive coordinator and their expectations. There’s a lot of pressure and a lot of stress for kids to do right and to lead right.”

Thigpen also said his depth situation — at least in the immediate sense — was nothing to complain about heading into summer workouts.

It’s the future, starting with 2014, that worries Thigpen. And for good reason.

“Well, this year’s not bad,” said Thigpen, who spent the past few years at Auburn. “It’s just that I’ve got a lot older kids — which is a good thing for this year. The question mark comes in the next year, when a lot of these guys graduate. I mean, we’re gonna graduate seven guys. You know, that’s a lot of linebackers, a lot of experience off the field.

“But the guys I’ve got in now, they’re solid. Even the backups are solid players, and they’re older kids. That’s a plus for us, an advantage in my opinion, ‘cause you’ve got guys that’s been in some type of playing situation, been in some games. They’re less likely to panic, and that’s good.”

While UT’s linebackers coach admitted to feeling better after spring than he felt going into it, he stopped well short of saying his group was reason for the season. He said he always has a very high expectation level for his players, and his current players “haven’t met ‘em yet.”

UT senior linebacker John Propst

“Of course, we haven’t played a game yet, so it’s hard to say,” he said. “We hadn’t been in any bullets yet, and no real fire. It’s one thing to practice, but then all of a sudden you’ve got to go out there and execute in a game — so that’s gonna be a key, is when we go out, will guys execute, you know, when there’s 100,000 people in the stands.

“And then will they be consistent when we actually have to go through the duration of a football game. When things are going good on offense, how are we gonna play? When things are going bad on offense, how are we gonna play? How are we gonna play if we lose our first game?

“That’s the key, is how we’re gonna keep ascending and keep improving as a defense. That’s got to be our No. 1 goal.”

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for posting. I know this is kind of a crazy thought, but is there any chance, depending on health and playing time distribution, they look to RS anyone to carry over to help for next year? I doubt it will be necessary, especially if you return AJ and Curt, along with Harris and Bynum. I'm actually more worried about the OLB spots.

Don't know how to imbed pics from mobile. So I posted the tweet's link to the photo.

broken link but i went to the twitter page and got it

BIo-BafCQAQoTCf.jpg:large

This is somewhat off topic from what you are speaking of at this moment but it's something that has been on my mind. With the way recruiting is going now it is easy to be at a peak state! What will be more important it seems to me is what happens if we have a very tough season? Which is very likely! It's important to keep everyone' spirits up and not get to where some are posting negative posts. I think its important not to feed into any negative people that will spring up. We have some high profile recruits and hopefully they realize how important they are to the turnaround at Knoxville. I believe some recruits read these forums and especially this one and if they read negativity on our own site, this can not be good. I truly believe we have the right coach and hanging on and building to this class is essential in our turn around. Hopefull all Vols will stay together and positive throughout the year!

Since the tweets thread does not allow discussion, who is @recruitingut? Says may be saying boom a lot in coming days. NOTE: I did look on first page of list, but did not see.

Last edited:
just a random person i think. some people post anything and everything UT related in the tweet thread, wheter or not if its a random fan. some people dont even bother to check to see if stuff is posted in there already

With the way recruiting's been going I wouldn't be suprised if @recruitingUT was telling the truth. Here's hoping he's right.

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back