Cross Divisional Rivals: Thoughts?

Whether it is true or not, it has been widely rumored that there is at least a "gentleman's pact" between the presidents/chancellors of the universities of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina that would block any attempt to bring additional conference members from their respective states. If true, that would eliminate FSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech from consideration.
I could definitely see that as being true. It'd make sense that those schools want to be "the" football school since their in the SEC.

I don't want the game to go away but a lot of people think that's the way its going to go the SEC is going to do away with permanent cross divisional games.

Good question. The issue is getting play in the media, but only three schools have publicly expressed a desire to do away with the cross-divisional rivalries.

Interesting....so there's one game being played that one school doesn't want and the other wants.

Interesting....so there's one game being played that one school doesn't want and the other wants.

Yeah. LSU wants to separate from UF, but the Gators don't seem to want out of the rivalry.

A&M and USCe don't like their pairing, which is kind of understandable given the distance between the two and the fact that they have nothing in common.

Yeah. LSU wants to separate from UF, but the Gators don't seem to want out of the rivalry.

A&M and USCe don't like their pairing, which is kind of understandable given the distance between the two and the fact that they have nothing in common.

Hmmm...well that would make LSU and fl a wash and A&M and SC cant be very high in the sec hierarchy.

Hmmm...well that would make LSU and fl a wash and A&M and SC cant be very high in the sec hierarchy.

It's not about being high in the hierarchy; it's about having the right number of total votes.

At this point - at the very least - UT, Bama, UGA, Auburn, and probably Vandy and Ole Miss would be voting against it.

The others (UF, UK, Miss St, Mizzou) don't seem to really care one way or another.

It's not about being high in the hierarchy; it's about having the right number of total votes.

At this point - at the very least - UT, Bama, UGA, Auburn, and probably Vandy and Ole Miss would be voting against it.

The others (UF, UK, Miss St, Mizzou) don't seem to really care one way or another.

Agreed. Right now I think the current 6-1-1 scheduling model has the most support. Three schools want 6-2, while Bama and UT are pushing for 6-2-1. UF, USCe, UGA, Vandy, and LSU are strongly opposed to a nine game schedule of any kind.

Eventually, I think Slive will push everyone toward the 6-2-1 model at the behest of ESPN.

There's a lot of talk in the media about the SEC going to 9 conference games and doing away with permanent cross divisional rivals.

There's been talk about either 9 conference games OR doing away with the cross-divisional rival, but not really scenarios of doing both.

And either way 1) it's just media talk not the thinking of more than a few schools - the only schools really pushing for the latter change were LSU, South Carolina, and possibly A&M (if they are) - and 2) no actual major change is expected to really come from this set of meetings

But this happens every summer; LSU (sick of playing UF) goes public to the media with their problems with the cross-divisional system trying to garner support, and South Carolina joins them...often coming from Spurrier

(though their complaints seemed to have started to become more verbal after that year they went undefeated in division play but missed out on the championship game because they lost both their cross-divisional games)

See that's what I'm talking about. And then who knows, in a few years Ole Miss may be a dangerous matchup. It just evolves.

Vandy may still be "Candy" to many of you, but Franklin may stir the pot enough not to sleep on them.

Arkansas was pretty damn good prior to a motorcycle incident. Like I said, it comes and goes.

What would be wrong with playing 9 conference games and scheduling powder puffs to fill in? SOS be damned, this is the SEC. Really dont see a need to risk it with premiere OOC matchups. At this point, I think programs do that just to get an early jump in the polls and to be, well, arrogant about how good they are.

Like VT really has a shot at Bama. I mean, c'mon. Or TCU V LSU in the opener. Really? TCU?

You're right about VT - the Teabaggers will rape them. And LSU will barbeque Purple Baylor.

But I dislike cross-divisional rivalries. I don't want to play Bama every year because: 1) we never beat them anymore, 2) I hate their condescending fans and, 3) that part of Alabama is like visiting Bangladesh. I would MUCH MUCH rather visit Columbia or College Station more than we will. Baton Rouge is fun and Oxford - despite being in Mississippi - has The Grove, a tailgating mecca.

UT voting against it is like volunteering to go in front of a firing squad. Really, who cares about Bama anymore? They are a waste of space. Let's start some new traditions.

Agreed. Right now I think the current 6-1-1 scheduling model has the most support. Three schools want 6-2, while Bama and UT are pushing for 6-2-1. UF, USCe, UGA, Vandy, and LSU are strongly opposed to a nine game schedule of any kind.

Eventually, I think Slive will push everyone toward the 6-2-1 model at the behest of ESPN.

He'll eventually have to (with all the other conferences doing such), but I think it will be a few years before he does though.

I feel Kramer would have already made the schools make such a move by now (if how he made the schools accept the 8 game, championship game system despite all the coaches and ADs voicing their disapproval was any indication)

You're right about VT - the Teabaggers will rape them. And LSU will barbeque Purple Baylor.

But I dislike cross-divisional rivalries. I don't want to play Bama every year because: 1) we never beat them anymore, 2) I hate their condescending fans and, 3) that part of Alabama is like visiting Bangladesh. I would MUCH MUCH rather visit Columbia or College Station more than we will. Baton Rouge is fun and Oxford - despite being in Mississippi - has The Grove, a tailgating mecca.

...we'd be visiting both Columbias at the same rate regardless of whether or not we played Alabama each year

Reactions: 1 person
He'll eventually have to (with all the other conferences doing such), but I think it will be a few years before he does though.

I feel Kramer would have already made the schools make such a move by now (if how he made the schools accept the 8 game, championship game system despite all the coaches and ADs voicing their disapproval was any indication)

Agree. Kramer got what he wanted.

I wouldn't mind the nine game schedule.

With mizzou in the east, half the conference schedule are generally pushovers at this point

How's this for "condescending"?:

You are a scared little girl, and you display an amazing amount of ignorance about the conference UT has been a part of for 80 years.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree. Kramer got what he wanted.

It's kind of funny looking back and seeing every coach then (Majors included) on camera saying how a 7 game schedule in the SEC was already tough enough as was, and if the league went to 8 games and a championship game it would just start hurting the teams and the conference, resulting only in cost/lost them national championship, seasonal success, etc.

Sure turned out that way...

It's kind of funny looking back and seeing every coach then (Majors included) on camera saying how a 7 game schedule in the SEC was already tough enough as was, and if the league went to 8 games and a championship game it would just start hurting the teams and the conference, resulting only in cost/lost them national championship, seasonal success, etc.

Sure turned out that way...

You should watch the "sec: storied" about the 1st sec title game.

Antonio langham is Roy Kramer's favorite college athlete of all time

I wouldn't mind the nine game schedule.

With mizzou in the east, half the conference schedule are generally pushovers at this point

This.

In the absence of a 9-game conference schedule, I'd prefer to keep LSU on the schedule.

They're usually relevant nationally, and the series has been evenly matched for the past decade.

VN Store

Back