Cross Divisional Rivals: Thoughts?

They should let a rivalry develop naturally. let Miz and A&M rotate through different east teams each season and see which team(s) (east or west) they develop a rivalry with. If LSU and FL wanted to they should let them do so as well. eventually rivalries will develop.

You and TrueOrange are rpobably right. IMO the SEC isnt gonna take two schools from the same market. If OK wont leave OKST then forget it...same with the Kansas schools.

I really dont know anything about Nebraska, except I think that they are located in Nebraska, but why wouldn't we want em?

To be fair, it'd be more about them wanting us

But at the moment, they (Nebraska) are making more money in the Big 10 (the conference averages more per team than the SEC does at this point, especially with the already established success of their network); there would not be enough of a reason for them to move conferences, especially with what would be taking a...well it's probably not the proper term here since this isn't a salary, but "pay cut"

They were also an AAU school at one point, so it's also possible that their president and board also might like the academic "rep" (& grant money) that comes from their university being tied with the Big 10 schools as well

Last edited:
You answered your own question.

Its about the markets and total revenue generated from all sports, not just football.

Lincoln is a map dot and the Oklahoma markets generally get back to Dallas Texas, which you already have when you got A&M.

There is no $ added from anything in Kansas.

At least Mizzou got you in StL, but other than that, they were worthless. They'll continue to be too, but hey, everyone likes another Vandy/Kentucky.

Well, I mean to be fair, between STL and KC an the rest of the state, they added a population of 6 million as "regional" to the footprint...clearly not all those people would end up fans of 1 team, but then again these moves and those numbers seem more expanding the brand (/ its awareness), increasing population footprint size for television deals, and if the SEC Network follows anything like the Big 10 network set up, having the greater number listed as regional, since they make more off regional customers / those people can be charged at a higher rate for subscription

(though since the SEC Network appears to be following more of a Longhorn network setup deal between the league and ESPN, I'm not sure if it's profits work the same way relative to subscribers...)

I was thinking about this last night regarding expansion. Someone name me 1 pitfall for adding Louisville.

I had a hard time coming up with one other than revenue generated from markets we already have in Kentucky.

I was thinking about this last night regarding expansion. Someone name me 1 pitfall for adding Louisville.

I had a hard time coming up with one other than revenue generated from markets we already have in Kentucky.

That reason is pretty much the only reason that matters. If we were talking about a larger state, like Texas, then adding a second team could make fiscal sense. But Kentucky is not that state.

Reactions: 1 person
They've got some good programs up there. Mens and womens hoops, football. They're in close proximity to everyone so travel costs would be low.....gotta look at em IMO.

FSU had their chance. Screw them. Give Clemson a shot if you're going to expand again. They have the following and the resources that would make them a successful and logical addition to the conference.

expansion is about money.

there are only a few schools that expand the pot. most all of them have a situation where moving is either not going to happen or virtually impossible to happen.

north carolina
a virginia school
oklahoma

that's about it

Reactions: 3 people
expansion is about money.

there are only a few schools that expand the pot. most all of them have a situation where moving is either not going to happen or virtually impossible to happen.

north carolina
a virginia school
oklahoma

that's about it

You including West Virginia as a Virginia?

They've got some good programs up there. Mens and womens hoops, football. They're in close proximity to everyone so travel costs would be low.....gotta look at em IMO.

The quality of the overall AD is of little concern. If it mattered, Missouri would never have received an invite. Heck, I'm not sure A&M would have made the cut.

The only school that is currently in the footprint that would increase pie for everyone is Texas. That's it. One could make an argument for FSU, but I think they are a distant second in that state as far as viewers.

You can forget Louisville, Clemson, and Ga Tech. None of those will ever be considered.

Reactions: 1 person
That reason is pretty much the only reason that matters. If we were talking about a larger state, like Texas, then adding a second team could make fiscal sense. But Kentucky is not that state.

Yea, unless adding L'ville might bring in more markets from Indiana and Ohio. Not sure if this would add more markets than UK currently pulls, but is a consideration I suppose.

What about Clemson? or maybe FSU?

FSU was offered before South Carolina but turned the league down in favor of the ACC, and then they (coaches, president, etc) went public to the media saying how much better of a choice it was that they didn't decide to go to the SEC....

that was only 20 years ago, they're more than likely not getting another invite to the conference...or if they ever do, it's going to be quite a whiles away

Plus doubling down in FL or SC really doesn't add terribly much.

Yea, unless adding L'ville might bring in more markets from Indiana and Ohio. Not sure if this would add more markets than UK currently pulls, but is a consideration I suppose.

It wouldn't. Indiana's split up between Notre Dame, Purdue, and Indiana as is.

And it's doubtful they'd make any, if at all, impact in the state of Ohio, especially with how much Ohio State simply owns that state.

FSU had their chance. Screw them. Give Clemson a shot if you're going to expand again. They have the following and the resources that would make them a successful and logical addition to the conference.

Whether it is true or not, it has been widely rumored that there is at least a "gentleman's pact" between the presidents/chancellors of the universities of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina that would block any attempt to bring additional conference members from their respective states. If true, that would eliminate FSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech from consideration.

Whether it is true or not, it has been widely rumored that there is at least a "gentleman's pact" between the presidents/chancellors of the universities of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina that would block any attempt to bring additional conference members from their respective states. If true, that would eliminate FSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech from consideration.

Kentucky too

It wouldn't. Indiana's split up between Notre Dame, Purdue, and Indiana as is.

And it's doubtful they'd make any, if at all, impact in the state of Ohio, especially with how much Ohio State simply owns that state.

Good points TrueOrange. Although, I would think they pull a few viewers in those areas for basketball. If you consider the UL/IU rivalry, the proximity to Cincy/Southern Oh area, and UC and Xavier being competitive but not championship teams, then you could make a case for regional interest. But, regarding football, I'm sure you're correct. I just figure, heck, somebody's got to be watching them LOL.

I can't imagine a season without playing Alabama and I'm only 28. The older folks would probably have a rage stroke.

/thread

P.S. I would like to add FL in there too if we go to a North South situation. I can' imagine a year without the gators and Bammers. You beat them both in the same year, that is NC worthy in and of itself.

VN Store

Back