Cross Divisional Rivals: Thoughts?

The fans who post on message boards represent the vocal minority of the
overall fan base.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Nothing stays the same and social media is rapidly becoming the norm. So how much longer before the minority becomes the majority? The contempt and animosity coming through message boards are making their way through twitter and the information universe. The protocol and etiquette that was the norm in football speak, among coaches, are leaking badly.

We know this at Alabama, because SEC coaches are apologizing to coach Saban at an alarming rate. :good!:

You're new to the SEC so I'll give you a pass.

I NEVER want to see our cross divisional rival go away. EVER

If the Third Saturday in October is taken away it will be the dumbest move ever. I'll take the lumps now just they took their lumps the 8 or 9 years before Saban happened.

This is pretty much how I feel. This series has very rarely had a lot of back and forth. Typically, one team will get on top and stay there for a while. However, historically, once you make that breakthrough, you're on the verge of winning several more. To me, a fall without the Third Saturday in October may as well be a fall with no football.

Reactions: 1 person
IMO, telling michigan they wouldnt be playing OSU every year would be the same as telling us we wouldnt be playing Bama or UF every year (i know UF is in same division). We hate them, they hate us. And every year is another chance to shut the other one up.

Yes us older folks would!!!!

Do not take away Bama, I love tradition and we will be back competing with them soon!

Give Butch two years and two good recruiting classes.

Thats the problem. The sec we battle for the same recruits. Gettting our teeth kicked in may not be a good thing to show prospectve recruits.

Don't care if ever other team in the country fell off the face of the earth so long as we play bama in October. IDC if we only played one game a year, so long as its bama. If other teams and other fans don't feel a need for those rivalries that's on them. With us its pretty much non negotiable. The sun rises in the east, the good Lord saves wayward souls, death and taxes, Tennessee plays Alabama. I hope I'm dead before that changes.

This sounded a lot like a pre-game speech...had me pumped!!!

Made me want to suit up and run thru a Big Orange Wall...then I looked in a mirror, and laughed...but still pumped!!!

I'll qualify your comment with just this, the intense hate/respect is fluid and is mainly where you are standing. The fans attending the games have always been predominately respectful, before and after. The players and coaches have been overall, through the decades and even today, respectful of this rivalry. It is, without doubt, the social network, the fanatics, with computer in hand, that have been disrespectful.

I suppose I should have worded it differently. With pretty much everyone I know, yeah everyone dislikes Florida and whatnot, but it's different with Alabama. People, especially the slightly older crowd, instantly become much more energetic and passionate when talking about the UT-Alabama game. Many of my college buddies despise Florida, but my parents and all of their friends view Alabama that way.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't care if ever other team in the country fell off the face of the earth so long as we play bama in October. IDC if we only played one game a year, so long as its bama. If other teams and other fans don't feel a need for those rivalries that's on them. With us its pretty much non negotiable. The sun rises in the east, the good Lord saves wayward souls, death and taxes, Tennessee plays Alabama. I hope I'm dead before that changes.

This.

Good post.

IMO, telling michigan they wouldnt be playing OSU every year would be the same as telling us we wouldnt be playing Bama or UF every year (i know UF is in same division). We hate them, they hate us. And every year is another chance to shut the other one up.

Alabama and Florida are two totally different animals imo. We didn't play UF every year until 1990. That rivalry doesn't have the tradition that UT/Bama has.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I cant really comment to the concept of not playing the sips. Emotionally, I'm really just over it. We tried. They declined. Its over and thats just the way it is. Contending for National Championships is our concern and frankly, we're in the best place possible to do that. We have a conference championship here. A top notch schedule year in, year out against highly ranked opponents. You cant take a week off and get by here.

As for playing SCAR, its fine now I suppose. They're a 10 win or better program recently and that makes for good scheduling. Just gotta win those matchups. Do I hate em? No. Will I? Not sure.

The mindset here has changed. We used to talk about, like yall do, what would be a dissapointing season. To that, the resounding answer here is "a loss".

Frankly, that's not too far off base currently. At least for next year.
Not too far off base? Lol. See that is the beauty of the SEC, anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

I think the UT/Bama and AU/UGA games should be kept, but keeping aTm tied to South Carolina makes no sense. This is one reason that if the SEC does expand, I hope it's to the west. This way Mizzou can go to the west and Bama and AU can move to the East. I know that would be a beast of a division but it puts all of our conference rivals in one division and we can get rid of the permanent cross division games.

I think the UT/Bama and AU/UGA games should be kept, but keeping aTm tied to South Carolina makes no sense. This is one reason that if the SEC does expand, I hope it's to the west. This way Mizzou can go to the west and Bama and AU can move to the East. I know that would be a beast of a division but it puts all of our conference rivals in one division and we can get rid of the permanent cross division games.

Oklahoma...Kansas...K ST...Nebraska

Those would be good candidates.

Exactly. It sucks for both schools, both geographically and financially. I'm not excited about the prospect of facing that offense every year, but it'll make for a good challenge if nothing else.

Nebraska would be taking a pay cut to move

Oklahoma is insistent that Oklahoma State come with it, and has pretty much already let it be known their desire is to move their athletics further out west towards LA (the Pac12) than towards the Deep South

Kansas and Kansas State don't draw near enough revenue nor market to ever be really considered (or worth) such a move....good basketball seasons (& 1-2 really good football seasons by one) aside

Nebraska would be taking a pay cut to move

Oklahoma is insistent that Oklahoma State come with it, and has pretty much already let it be known their desire is to move their athletics further out west towards LA (the Pac12) than towards the Deep South

Kansas and Kansas State don't draw near enough revenue nor market to ever be really considered (or worth) such a move....good basketball seasons (& 1-2 really good football seasons by one) aside

I think you are right on all counts here. I wish we would invite the Oklahoma schools, but I think They will move west with Texas (if they move at all). I think the SEC will move east and try to get a school from VA and one from NC. If that happens I fear both our game with Bama and the AU/UGA game may be gone.

Cant have Okie without Okie Lite
The Kansas schools bring very little in all around athletics
You dont really want Nebraska.
The folks in Austin wouldn't let it happen anyway.

If you want to expand the SEC, go East not West.

Cant have Okie without Okie Lite
The Kansas schools bring very little in all around athletics
You dont really want Nebraska.
The folks in Austin wouldn't let it happen anyway.

If you want to expand the SEC, go East not West.

You and TrueOrange are rpobably right. IMO the SEC isnt gonna take two schools from the same market. If OK wont leave OKST then forget it...same with the Kansas schools.

I really dont know anything about Nebraska, except I think that they are located in Nebraska, but why wouldn't we want em?

You answered your own question.

Its about the markets and total revenue generated from all sports, not just football.

Lincoln is a map dot and the Oklahoma markets generally get back to Dallas Texas, which you already have when you got A&M.

There is no $ added from anything in Kansas.

At least Mizzou got you in StL, but other than that, they were worthless. They'll continue to be too, but hey, everyone likes another Vandy/Kentucky.

and you dont want Nebraska because they'd be a thorn. Storied school with a great history. They will always have a grip on their own state as far as recruiting goes, and they can always put up a good fight in football. After that, there is very little.

That and Po Pelini is a classless asshat.

VN Store

Back