CPF is the Featured speaker for today's coaching clinic

Fulmer is a moron, and he was wayyyyy over his head. Do you want me to explain to you the
"perfect storm" of 1998 that allowed us to win a NC? Because I dont think you understand just
how fortunate we were.

Fulmer is a buffooon, and his excuse making was an embarrassement to the fans and to the
university. Do I really need to school you, because thats what I'm going to do!

"The job of the offense is to get a few first downs and then punt." Coach Phillip Fulmer

Please "school" me and the rest of us on Fulmer, and try to do it in language that suggest you're more than 11 years old....you certainly haven't done it yet. The childish name calling really bolsters your argument.

Btw, virtually every single team that wins a national championship has that game or 2 that they "escape" yet still find a way to win. History has shown us there has to be good fortune at different points in the season. The great teams, the championship teams find ways to win....just like FULMER'S 1998 team did.

Ok, I'm ready.....please start the schoolin'...this oughtta be good.

Reactions: 3 people
I bet he could give a stirring lecture on Proper knife technique for stabbing your hc in the back.

Most people don't need lessons in that, stabbing others in the back is a way of life for many as they strive for power and personal gain.

Great coach. Brought a lot of attention to the program. Good memories for the fans.

Fulmer took UT to a level that Majors never achieved by winning back to back SEC TItles and the first BCS Title. He did this through hard work and dedication to the program.

After reaching the pinnacle in the 1999 Fiest Bowl, Fulmer began to slack off more. He allowed the program to erode until he was terminated in 2008.

If UT had made the right hire after Fulmer they would have immediately rebounded, but Kiffin wasn't ready and Dooley set the program back years.

Butch has shown the same dedication and hard work that Fulmer was know for before he won it all. If UT had hired a guy like Butch after Fulmer this would be a moot point because UT would be winning and that's all that anyone cares about.

Reactions: 4 people
Fulmer was an elte recruiter(closer) during his time at Tennessee. He wasnt much of a coach. He won because he had more talent than everybody else.

Reactions: 1 person
Fulmer was an elte recruiter(closer) during his time at Tennessee. He wasnt much of a coach. He won because he had more talent than everybody else.

Not much of a collegiate head coach? You don't win 75% of your games over 16 years, win a national championship and get inducted into the hall of fame if you're not "much of a coach". He wasn't the best at making in-game adjustments to say the least....but he was outstanding at building a program, putting together an excellent staff, brining in excellent talent, implementing/teaching/executing his systems and winning football games.

Reactions: 2 people
It totally blows my mind that people--not just people, Vols fans--will reconstruct the recent history of our football program to make Phil Fulmer into some kind of doofus who lucked into 150+ college football game victories. Blows my mind. Can't understand it, can't get my arms around it, can't fathom how people can so completely misunderstand Fulmer's legacy, just because they don't like the way he got sloppy and complacent in his last five years and had a couple of losing seasons.

Now, I wasn't here at VN back then, but I'm beginning to suspect that some of these people deep down feel guilt at being part of the Pitchfork Brigade before Fulmer got the axe, and now have to defend their fickle behavior by continuing to denigrate the man's place in Vols history. That could be completely and utterly wrong, I have no facts at all to base it on, it's pure speculation in an attempt to understand how Vols fans can be so utterly self-delusional.

It flabbergasts me, hopefully some day I'll understand the psychological dynamics going on here, but for the moment I am at a complete loss.

Reactions: 4 people
"Facts and evidence?" Want me to recount the facts and evidence of what happened to this
program after 2001? Some of you dont remember it seems.

He went 59-32 in all the years from 2002-08. That's a 65% winning percentage. Want to see what the winning percentage is since firing him?

He went 59-32 in all the years from 2002-08. That's a 65% winning percentage. Want to see what the winning percentage is since firing him?

Correct. But, the program was in decline. What was his record from 92 until the BCS Title game?

It totally blows my mind that people--not just people, Vols fans--will reconstruct the recent history of our football program to make Phil Fulmer into some kind of doofus who lucked into 150+ college football game victories. Blows my mind. Can't understand it, can't get my arms around it, can't fathom how people can so completely misunderstand Fulmer's legacy, just because they don't like the way he got sloppy and complacent in his last five years and had a couple of losing seasons.

Now, I wasn't here at VN back then, but I'm beginning to suspect that some of these people deep down feel guilt at being part of the Pitchfork Brigade before Fulmer got the axe, and now have to defend their fickle behavior by continuing to denigrate the man's place in Vols history. That could be completely and utterly wrong, I have no facts at all to base it on, it's pure speculation in an attempt to understand how Vols fans can be so utterly self-delusional.

It flabbergasts me, hopefully some day I'll understand the psychological dynamics going on here, but for the moment I am at a complete loss.

It's not that unique. Roy Williams has 750 wins and two national titles and there are plenty of people who think he's not a great in-game coach. Same with Rick Barnes when he was at Texas, though I'm glad we have him. Hell, people here will say it about Calipari all day long and he's been to four Final Fours in 6 years. If you're going to say those were "all because of having great players," then when that logic is applied to Fulmer, don't act like it's just completely unthinkable.

Last edited:
Correct. But, the program was in decline. What was his record from 92 until the BCS Title game?

That doesnt help Hoptown's argument (actually it appears nothing does at this point) so he chose the "bad years" where Fulmer only won 2/3 of his games, went to 5 bowl games, finished in the top 25 4 times and played for an SEC championship.

Every team/coach has its ups and downs. This fanbase is too egotistical to work through it. LSU is going through it right now. But they're smart enough to bear with it. Too much "gimme gimme" and winning the national championship every year on video games.

And now this fanbase is begging for an 8 win season when they castrated one of their own just 10 years ago for an 8 win season.

I enjoyed him being the coach. Yes he faded a bit near the end, but it does not take away from the "glory" time we had... not much point in arguing with one another here, we all bleed Orange.

Go Coach Jones, let us Kick some Booty!:pepper::worship:

Please "school" me and the rest of us on Fulmer, and try to do it in language that suggest you're more than 11 years old....you certainly haven't done it yet. The childish name calling really bolsters your argument.

Btw, virtually every single team that wins a national championship has that game or 2 that they "escape" yet still find a way to win. History has shown us there has to be good fortune at different points in the season. The great teams, the championship teams find ways to win....just like FULMER'S 1998 team did.

Ok, I'm ready.....please start the schoolin'...this oughtta be good.

Syracuse - Phantom interference call at a critical time in the game in the Carrier Dome. That happens 1/10 times.

Florida - fumble into the end zone collected by Al Wilson, missed chip shot in overtime. Phew!

Arkansas - Are you serious? Anybody ever seen that before?

Miss St - 2 big plays in the 2nd half. We dont win otherwise.

Florida State - OH this is the kicker. Down to their 3rd string QB who had thrown about 10 passes in his career. We still didnt win by a big margin.

In fact the 98' team didnt beat up anybody, and go back and look at all the NFL talent on that team. They were throttled by Fulmer's incompetence.

I'm very happy we won it all, I remember it like it was yesterday, but we had a lot of help. There are dominant teams that win it all, we were not a dominant team, we were lucky as hell.

Classroom dismissed.

Orlando Sentinel to Urban Meyer:

Coach, are you working on a special game plan for Tennessee?

Urban: (chuckle ha ha ha) "We dont have to game plan for Tennessee."

Thats an exact quote.

Last edited:
Hoptownvol,
Who do u think should have been our coach during the Fulmer era if he did such a horrible job?

Syracuse - Phantom interference call at a critical time in the game in the Carrier Dome. That happens 1/10 times.

Florida - fumble into the end zone collected by Al Wilson, missed chip shot in overtime. Phew!

Arkansas - Are you serious? Anybody ever seen that before?

Miss St - 2 big plays in the 2nd half. We dont win otherwise.

Florida State - OH this is the kicker. Down to their 3rd string QB who had thrown about 10 passes in his career. We still didnt win by a big margin.

In fact the 98' team didnt beat up anybody, and go back and look at all the NFL talent on that team. They were throttled by Fulmer's incompetence.

I'm very happy we won it all, I remember it like it was yesterday, but we had a lot of help. There are dominant teams that win it all, we were not a dominant team, we were lucky as hell.

Classroom dismissed.

Orlando Sentinel to Urban Meyer:

Coach, are you working on a special game plan for Tennessee?

Urban: (chuckle ha ha ha) "We dont have to game plan for Tennessee."

Thats an exact quote.

And you think this somehow "schools" anybody that doesn't share your irrational dislike for Fulmer?? Hahaha!!! Come on man..... you'd have done MUCH better for yourself had you just clammed up and not posted anymore in this thread. Lol!!

I'll give you one very quick example of just how bad your "point" is. Ohio State and Urbs last year....LOST to an awful Virginia Tech team....BARELY beat a bad Penn State in OVERTIME who went 6-6 in the regular season and boasted the 114th ranked offense. They were also losing to mighty Navy in the 4th quarter of their opening game before "finding a way to win"....just like Phil did vs the team's you wrote about from 1998.

Finally, Ol' Urbs had to have the good fortune of having the committee inexplicably drop Baylor out of the top 4 after a blowout win the last week of the season so Ohio St. could slide into the top 4 for the first time all year.

I got a bunch more examples of you'd like chief. Let me know if you want more.

Edit: one more thought. Are you really using the 1998 season, an undefeated 14-0 National Championship season as the example of why Fulmer was a bad coach and hence, the reason you hate the guy?? Jeez man, no wonder a segment of our fanbase gets a bad rap. I'd hate to get your take on Butch at this point, given all the blowout/bad losses he's had after 2 years....does he need to get a restraining order?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

This is wildly inaccurate. That qb was good enough to beat UF by more than UT did (with better stats than Tee)

Irrational, he drove the program into a ditch, making excuse after excuse while doing it!

I'm not talking about Urban Meyer, try and keep up. I'm talking about the guy that singlehandedly
destroyed UT football. That cannot be challenged. Do you think Kiffin is responsible for where we
are now? :lolabove:

Oh yeah, no wonder a segment of our fan base is considered internet idiots. You're romanticism of
Mark Richt the 1st will do it everytime. And I'm not using 98' to prove Fulmer was worthless, there's plenty
of other examples, we just were extremely FORTUNATE that year. That cannot be argued either. Sorry.

And you think this somehow "schools" anybody that doesn't share your irrational dislike for Fulmer?? Hahaha!!! Come on man..... you'd have done MUCH better for yourself had you just clammed up and not posted anymore in this thread. Lol!!

I'll give you one very quick example of just how bad your "point" is. Ohio State and Urbs last year....LOST to an awful Virginia Tech team....BARELY beat a bad Penn State in OVERTIME who went 6-6 in the regular season and boasted the 114th ranked offense. They were also losing to mighty Navy in the 4th quarter of their opening game before "finding a way to win"....just like Phil did vs the team's you wrote about from 1998.

Finally, Ol' Urbs had to have the good fortune of having the committee inexplicably drop Baylor out of the top 4 after a blowout win the last week of the season so Ohio St. could slide into the top 4 for the first time all year.

I got a bunch more examples of you'd like chief. Let me know if you want more.

Edit: one more thought. Are you really using the 1998 season, an undefeated 14-0 National Championship season as the example of why Fulmer was a bad coach and hence, the reason you hate the guy?? Jeez man, no wonder a segment of our fanbase gets a bad rap. I'd hate to get your take on Butch at this point, given all the blowout/bad losses he's had after 2 years....does he need to get a restraining order?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back