CPF is the Featured speaker for today's coaching clinic

Hard to forget what he did to the program. Still digging out of it. Peace.

Phillip Fulmer took Tennessee football from great/competitive to mediocre by the end of his tenure, on that I'll agree. But to say that he's the one responsible for the hole we are still trying to climb out of is absurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Can't blame him for a hole, when he took us to a pinnacle not seen since the General was pacing the sidelines.

Fulmer is a trigger word to starting an argument amongst Vol fans.

To be honest, I'm not seeing much in the way of two big opposing camps arguing. I'm seeing Hoptown Vol being rude and provocative, and everyone else being pretty balanced about the complexity of the Fulmer era, its highs and lows.

Phil Fulmer was a great coach for Tennessee for most of his tenure, in fact he devoted most of his adult life to the university, and the folks here by and large seem to appreciate that. One can acknowledge that he got complacent and sloppy in his final five years and still salute the man for all that came before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
To be honest, I'm not seeing much in the way of two big opposing camps arguing. I'm seeing Hoptown Vol being rude and provocative, and everyone else being pretty balanced about the complexity of the Fulmer era, its highs and lows.

Phil Fulmer was a great coach for Tennessee for most of his tenure, in fact he devoted most of his adult life to the university, and the folks here by and large seem to appreciate that. One can acknowledge that he got complacent and sloppy in his final five years and still salute the man for all that came before.
Agreed. I have a hard time hating Fulmer as I still can't get over hating Doug Dickey for screwing us over for Florida. Hating serially, one screw job at a time, wouldn't walk across the street to assist Doug Dickey if he was on fire.

I bet he could give a stirring lecture on Proper knife technique for stabbing your hc in the back.

Fulmer and the decline of UT football were kind of a perfect storm. Ultimately if Saban and Meyer weren't hired to Alabama and Florida respectively he probably lasts a few more years and maybe even fields a couple of competitive teams.

I guess I just appreciate Phil's incompetence a little more than you do.

Oh yeah, you know what else I hate.... people that use that ridiculous term "hater."

Doubt there are very many people with a shred of sense who would call a coach in the college football hall of fame with 150+ wins, a .745 win % and a national championship on his resume "incompetent".

And I don't care much for fools who let their emotions override facts and evidence. Guess we're even.

Reactions: 5 people
The many topics he touched on:

1) How to create the most discomboluted offense.
2) Excuse making 101
3) Hiring idiots to make yourself feel exalted.
4) Mediocrity is acceptable if you can get away with it.
5) How to destroy a program and walk away with Fort Knox.

:rolleyes:

Sounds a lot like our potus..😝

The Fulmer situation was the perfect storm. Fulmer got hit from every direction possible at the absolute worst time.

Regardless if you like or dislike Fulmer, I believe everyone can agree the handling of his dismissal could have been handled in a much more respectful way.

The many topics he touched on:

1) How to create the most discomboluted offense.
2) Excuse making 101
3) Hiring idiots to make yourself feel exalted.
4) Mediocrity is acceptable if you can get away with it.
5) How to destroy a program and walk away with Fort Knox.

:rolleyes:
You are an IDIOT!

JP speaks truth 🍻

Fulmer and the decline of UT football were kind of a perfect storm. Ultimately if Saban and Meyer weren't hired to Alabama and Florida respectively he probably lasts a few more years and maybe even fields a couple of competitive teams.

If he would've been left in place we wouldn't have had so many problems like we have over the past few years. CPF loves UT and he would have worked hard to fix things. You have to understand the dynamics of what was happening at UT during the last few years of his tenure. Losing an AD and President. Having the pressure from Hamilton to hire out of his comfort zone with Clawson. That was a Meyer thing from Hamilton looking for that young coach... epic fail! Changes in the UT system drove a huge wedge between academic and athletic depts, mostly over money. Stuff that was never a problem while Johnson and Dickey controlled the ship. It's still not good just look at Cheek.... so when you criticize CPF understand what he was up against. For proof listen to first few pressors Hart had after taking the UT job. Talking about obstacles with the system....

Reactions: 4 people
Doubt there are very many people with a shred of sense who would call a coach in the college football hall of fame with 150+ wins, a .745 win % and a national championship on his resume "incompetent".

And I don't care much for fools who let their emotions override facts and evidence. Guess we're even.

Fulmer is a moron, and he was wayyyyy over his head. Do you want me to explain to you the
"perfect storm" of 1998 that allowed us to win a NC? Because I dont think you understand just
how fortunate we were.

Fulmer is a buffooon, and his excuse making was an embarrassement to the fans and to the
university. Do I really need to school you, because thats what I'm going to do!

"The job of the offense is to get a few first downs and then punt." Coach Phillip Fulmer

Last edited:
It seems like it would be hard for a real VOL fan to hate on a member of the VOLS Mt. Rushmore.

If you're talking about Flummo, no its not hard. He destroyed the program, and you people want
to build altars and worship the man. Makes no sense.

If he would've been left in place we wouldn't have had so many problems like we have over the past few years. CPF loves UT and he would have worked hard to fix things. You have to understand the dynamics of what was happening at UT during the last few years of his tenure. Losing an AD and President. Having the pressure from Hamilton to hire out of his comfort zone with Clawson. That was a Meyer thing from Hamilton looking for that young coach... epic fail! Changes in the UT system drove a huge wedge between academic and athletic depts, mostly over money. Stuff that was never a problem while Johnson and Dickey controlled the ship. It's still not good just look at Cheek.... so when you criticize CPF understand what he was up against. For proof listen to first few pressors Hart had after taking the UT job. Talking about obstacles with the system....

I'm sorry, you're delusional. But you learned how to make excuses from the best excuse maker in
the world....Phil Fulmer. Congratulations.

"Facts and evidence?" Want me to recount the facts and evidence of what happened to this
program after 2001? Some of you dont remember it seems.

"Facts and evidence?" Want me to recount the facts and evidence of what happened to this
program after 2001? Some of you dont remember it seems.

do I need to tell you about all of Coach Fulmers accomplishments ? his winning record is at about 75%,that is a 152 wins against 52 games lost ,he was close to beating Neylands record for most wins all time

He is the 2nd best football coach that the Vols have ever had and will be that for many a decade to come,no matter what snide comments or remarks are said about him

I do remember watching a bunch of his games,what has happened since he was fired ?i
It hasn't been what you could call impressive at all

I've been waiting for the Vols to get back to the way they played for CPF and guess what ? they still have a long way to go

do I need to tell you about all of Coach Fulmers accomplishments ? his winning record is at about 75%,that is a 152 wins against 52 games lost ,he was close to beating Neylands record for most wins all time

He is the 2nd best football coach that the Vols have ever had and will be that for many a decade to come,no matter what snide comments or remarks are said about him

I do remember watching a bunch of his games,what has happened since he was fired ?i
It hasn't been what you could call impressive at all

I've been waiting for the Vols to get back to the way they played for CPF and guess what ? they still have a long way to go

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove: Oy!

I doubt you'll see this in your lifetime.

08bcsobit1-jumbo.jpg

That's true, I don't think we'll ever see Fulmer coaching football again.

Reactions: 3 people
That being said, 3 years ago, one of the first few posts in this thread would be something like "Wish he was still the coach too" and it would have about 20 likes. Even if Butch doesn't work out in the long term, he has brought fans back into the actual present moment and for that I am eternally grateful.

VN Store

Back