Could someone please tell me?

Samuellbronkowitz

I know that even though we look like a MAC team at best and are slowly improving, Florida is 5-1 and beat a freaking Top 5 team in LSU while we keep getting creamed by Top 25 opponents.

This is one reason I hate Florida. They were almost identical to us talent and record wise last year and are contenders for the SEC East while we are trying to climb out of the bottom. Just like in 2013 when they were 4-8, and they fielded a better team next season.

So someone please tell me how the Gators go from being one of the worst SEC teams one year to one of the best while we may not even make it out of the cellar of the conference for a while.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I know that even though we look like a MAC team at best and are slowly improving, Florida is 5-1 and beat a freaking Top 5 team in LSU while we keep getting creamed by Top 25 opponents.

This is one reason I hate Florida. They were almost identical to us talent and record wise last year and are contenders for the SEC East while we are trying to climb out of the bottom. Just like in 2013 when they were 4-8, and they fielded a better team next season.

So someone please tell me how the Gators go from being one of the worst SEC teams one year to one of the best while we may not even make it out of the cellar of the conference for a while.
Dan Mullen is an experienced and good football coach. He’s not Saban or Meyer, but still very good.

Dan Mullen is an experienced and good football coach. He’s not Saban or Meyer, but still very good.
Right you are. He won 8 or more games 5 times at a door mat school in the toughest division in football.

He's arguably the second best coach in the SEC.

the players that Mullen inherited were better than ours...period...he's a dang good coach with very good assistants and he makes it look easier than it really is also...:D

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Our previous staff never developed jack squat. Its going to take a while to teach these young men how to play SEC football.

here is the issue that Tennessee fans miss.

Florida had more talent last year than Tennessee. Just like they do this year.

Florida was a dysfunctional program last year due to the head coach and Florida administration being at odds. It impacted the football team and the players stopped trying even before Mac quit. Rarely is a team going to perform when a coach leaves mid-season and is replaced by an "interim" coach. So the talent level being off at Florida was not true, even though many want to believe that.

Did everyone forget, they won the East in 2015 and 2016?

Florida will be pushing Georgia soon. sooner than Tennessee wants. They have 30 sophomores and 36 freshman on their roster. With a year of Mullen, they might be ready to push Georgia next year.

Reactions: VolinMC
OP, I think Pruitt will be good, but let's face it, if you're good at what you do, the more experience you have, the better you are. This is second time Mullen building a program...Pruitt's first...at any coaching position. UF has Mullen b/c Kelly opted for UCLA...otherwise, Mullen would probably be here, and ironically, Kelly + Frost are a combined 0-10, though, just like UT, probably speaks more about low talent levels, than coaching.

I dislike UF more than any other team not named Bama, and may get flamed for this, but I don't mind UF being good if we are too. I miss the heated rivalry games that mean something. We just haven't held up our end of the bargain for SO LONG.

Reactions: Samuellbronkowitz
Pruitt has been successful. Obviously our recruiting has failed us
Pruitt has zero success.as.a.head coach, far different than being a head coach. While we dont have the best talent, our coaching staff certainly isnt getting the most of it.

That's the difference.

They hired an experienced coach and we hired a maybe that’s still learning to be HC.

OP, I think Pruitt will be good, but let's face it, if you're good at what you do, the more experience you have, the better you are. This is second time Mullen building a program...Pruitt's first...at any coaching position. UF has Mullen b/c Kelly opted for UCLA...otherwise, Mullen would probably be here, and ironically, Kelly + Frost are a combined 0-10, though, just like UT, probably speaks more about low talent levels, than coaching.

I dislike UF more than any other team not named Bama, and may get flamed for this, but I don't mind UF being good if we are too. I miss the heated rivalry games that mean something. We just haven't held up our end of the bargain for SO LONG.
Those games in the 90's/Early 2000's were magic...I remember them all very well, fun times...I too wish it would get back to that.

Pruitt has been successful. Obviously our recruiting has failed us

Being successful as a DC =/= successful as a HC.

We don't know if Pruitt is going to be successful or not yet, but good head coaches make the right assistant hires, and get the most out of their players. What we are seeing on the field so far, is not indicative of a well-put-together staff, that is effectively teaching and motivating the team.

Won't change the fact that he's going to be here for 4 years, regardless, but if the current staff doesn't show that they can develop players over an off-season, and an entire season, then it's going to be all the more difficult to recruit the 4-5 star players that Pruitt is used to having on his teams.

My main concern about Pruitt was, and is, that he never had to work with sub par talent.

It’s easy to look good at FSU, Georgia, and Alabama. All that showed was that he’s not an idiot.

He never was the d-coordinator at Boston College or Virginia. He never entered into contests without typically having a lopsided talent advantage.

Doesn’t mean he won’t get it done. But, that was my concern

I can’t even tell you who the coordinators are at Alabama right now without looking it up.

Good point '99. I'm kinda worried about his ability to oversee offensive production also and if he's allowing Helton and Friend total control of it.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Jim McElwain started 10-1 in his first season in 2015 and I saw a lot of the same crap on here about Florida. LSU gave away that game yesterday with turnovers. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
Jim McElwain started 10-1 in his first season in 2015 and I saw a lot of the same crap on here about Florida. LSU gave away that game yesterday with turnovers. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

It's different, I assure you...Everyone who watched us play those two years before the bottom fell out last year knew good and well that our defense was CARRYING the team and getting timely stops and turnovers that kept us in it...We go down 19-14 late in the game to LSU at any point under Jim McElwain, and I assure you we don't mount a PERFECTLY called and executed 75 yard drive to reclaim the lead, we just lose...We actually have a real head coach, a REAL offensive innovator...It really is apples and oranges.

My main concern about Pruitt was, and is, that he never had to work with sub par talent.

It’s easy to look good at FSU, Georgia, and Alabama. All that showed was that he’s not an idiot.

He never was the d-coordinator at Boston College or Virginia. He never entered into contests without typically having a lopsided talent advantage.

Doesn’t mean he won’t get it done. But, that was my concern

I can’t even tell you who the coordinators are at Alabama right now without looking it up.
Ya but that also means he knows what SEC talent is. He is bringing that kind of talent in. So I don’t take that as a concern, I see it As a plus.

Reactions: lifeVol
It's different, I assure you...Everyone who watched us play those two years before the bottom fell out last year knew good and well that our defense was CARRYING the team and getting timely stops and turnovers that kept us in it...We go down 19-14 late in the game to LSU at any point under Jim McElwain, and I assure you we don't mount a PERFECTLY called and executed 75 yard drive to reclaim the lead, we just lose...We actually have a real head coach, a REAL offensive innovator...It really is apples and oranges.
You're a Florida fan... you hope it's different. That remains to be seen. You lost at home to Kentucky for crying out loud and the offense looked like garbage.

VN Store

Back