College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

No you couldn't. Just having talent doesn't make a winning team or a winning coach.

It takes a unique kind of person to mesh those egos and personalities. He isn't John Wooden, but he isn't Dallas Bowlin either.

Money talks. Where’s the national championship’s? One out of what, nine? If he’s some great coach, with all of the talent he has had he should at least have 3.

Money talks. Where’s the national championship’s? One out of what, nine? If he’s some great coach, with all of the talent he has had he should at least have 3.

Dallas, you make some of the dumbest, naive arguments. It's like trying to talk with my 11 year old nephew. When are you going to understand that it isn't simply about talent?

Cal has been at UK 8 full seasons. In that time he has 1 championship. I count three other teams that recruit the way UK does, consistently. Kansas (0 titles in that time), UNC (1 title), and Duke (2 titles).

Are Bill Self and Roy Williams terrible coaches too? Is Coach K just a shade better than them? Given your results-based line of thinking, I have to assume so.

Reactions: 2 people
Sooners freshman stud Trae Young with 12 turnovers last night. Most by a major conference player since 1999. In conference play, he has 51 assists and 46 TOs (6 games).

Dallas, you make some of the dumbest, naive arguments. It's like trying to talk with my 11 year old nephew. When are you going to understand that it isn't simply about talent?

Cal has been at UK 8 full seasons. In that time he has 1 championship. I count three other teams that recruit the way UK does, consistently. Kansas (0 titles in that time), UNC (1 title), and Duke (2 titles).

Are Bill Self and Roy Williams terrible coaches too? Is Coach K just a shade better than them? Given your results-based line of thinking, I have to assume so.

It’s not that. It’s how cal is regarded. He’s regarded as a ****ing god. If he’s so ****ing good where’s the wins?

It’s not that. It’s how cal is regarded. He’s regarded as a ****ing god. If he’s so ****ing good where’s the wins?

Regarded like that by whom, exactly? Kentucky fans? Well, big freaking surprise. And you live smack dab in the middle of them, so you hear it a lot more. Tennessee fans, for a time, worshipped the ground Butch Jones walked on, too.

And Cal's star is fading a bit in the eyes of Kentucky fans, which was totally predictable. He can't keep up the pace he's run at forever. His recruiting method was always going to catch up to him. But for you to say he's a bad coach is just ignorant and biased. Not that that surprises anyone.

Regarded like that by whom, exactly? Kentucky fans? Well, big freaking surprise. And you live smack dab in the middle of them, so you hear it a lot more. Tennessee fans, for a time, worshipped the ground Butch Jones walked on, too.

And Cal's star is fading a bit in the eyes of Kentucky fans, which was totally predictable. He can't keep up the pace he's run at forever. His recruiting method was always going to catch up to him. But for you to say he's a bad coach is just ignorant and biased. Not that that surprises anyone.

Actually I would say in a sense that Cal is in fact a bad coach. Yeah he's great at getting their egos to mesh and play as a team. But he's a pretty bad in game x and o coach. His refusal to make in game adjustments are mind boggling at times.

Reactions: 1 person

Never said he was a bad coach, he just isn’t great. He’s a good coach. That’s it. Wouldn’t want him here.

Sooners freshman stud Trae Young with 12 turnovers last night. Most by a major conference player since 1999. In conference play, he has 51 assists and 46 TOs (6 games).

This is a great time to say why I don't think Simon and Barnes are a good fit. It's been said maybe Simon could be next years young for us and there is ZERO shot Barnes would put up with anything close to that.

51/46 wouldn't be tolerated

Cal can coach. He just doesn’t have a roster of John Walls and Demarcus Cousins right now.

With that much turnover you’re gonna have some off years. I’m surprised he hasn’t had more down years. Not surprised Kentucky fans are getting tired of the one and done route.

Being from Memphis, I have seen Cal for a long time. Cal is a great coach when it comes to motivation and getting his star players to play together. He lacks in the area of X's and O's. But when you have great players, you can overcome that.

I have always said that experience really does matter when it comes to March. Even Cal would admit that. I think I recall him saying at halftime of one of his first round tournament games a year or two ago that even star freshmen get ancy and nervous in the NCAAT.

If you look at his finals teams, 2 of 3 had a lot of experience to go along with talented freshmen (championship team at UK and finals team at Memphis). I think his other finals team in 2014 at UK had mostly freshmen, but they made a run as an 8 seed.

This is a great time to say why I don't think Simon and Barnes are a good fit. It's been said maybe Simon could be next years young for us and there is ZERO shot Barnes would put up with anything close to that.

I don't know the true makeup of that OU team, but I have heard people say that Young has to score that much for them to win. The difference is that Simons would have scorers all around him. He doesn't have to force anything because Williams, Schofield, and Bowden are other great options. I just think it's different.

Actually I would say in a sense that Cal is in fact a bad coach. Yeah he's great at getting their egos to mesh and play as a team. But he's a pretty bad in game x and o coach. His refusal to make in game adjustments are mind boggling at times.

Well, unfortunately Xs and Os is only a part of coaching, especially at the college level. You can be average at Xs and Os, be a great recruiter, and be great at getting great player to play as a team, and still be a really good all-around coach. Do you think UK pays him $7 million a year and that he's had offers for more money from NBA teams because he's a bad coach? Come on. Butch Jones is a bad coach. Derek Dooley is a bad coach. There current employment options support that. Cal could leave right now and have his pick of 98% of head coaching jobs at any level of basketball in the world.

Respectfully disagree. This team is missing a star, difference-making talent that can go and score any time he wants. If Simons is that player, we need him. Fortunately, he wouldn't have to be the type player for us that Young has to be for OU. We have many more options, but we need an alpha dog at the guard position. We don't have one right now.

Kentucky just has a lesser talented team than they have had with other teams the last few years. And this group just hasn't meshed as others have. You will have years like this when your approach is what Cal's is to recruiting. He's able to place a lot of talent in the NBA and for the most part win a ton of games, but it doesn't get what you think you should be getting in 1 year of college with them. Having some 1 and duns on your roster is not a bad thing and some years it can fit and it just works, but for winning in the tournament I think you need some continuity and experience built in your roster. UK just rarely has that.

Respectfully disagree. This team is missing a star, difference-making talent that can go and score any time he wants. If Simons is that player, we need him. Fortunately, he wouldn't have to be the type player for us that Young has to be for OU. We have many more options, but we need an alpha dog at the guard position. We don't have one right now.

You always take talent if it will fit your style and roster.

As stated above, you don't ask Young ( or Simons if he's comparable) to be what he is at OU if he's on UT's roster.

Young is asked to carry OU's team. UT is a top 20 team without him. OU is not. If he accepted a role where he didn't have the ball every possesion and didn't need to get 30 every nite for you to win he's a great addition. Simon the same.

That place is called “Around the NCAA,” it’s a place that’s warm, where the beer flows like wine, and D4H instinctively flocks like the salmon of Capistrano.

360 posts and 12,000 views later it looks like my thread here in the Hoops section has found a nice response. :)

You always take talent if it will fit your style and roster.

As stated above, you don't ask Young ( or Simons if he's comparable) to be what he is at OU if he's on UT's roster.

Young is asked to carry OU's team. UT is a top 20 team without him. OU is not. If he accepted a role where he didn't have the ball every possesion and didn't need to get 30 every nite for you to win he's a great addition. Simon the same.

Agree with both of you but neither are getting my point. My point is Barnes isn't going to put up with the mistakes when he has a seasoned roster. Simons won't get the minutes he wants and needs imo

You make some of the most brainless boneheaded arguments. Cal wins like 80% of his games and has been more consistent with young teams than anyone in the country. If you judge him based off 3 games then you're as dumb as a brick.

Reactions: 1 person
This Kentucky team reminds me of the 2013 team. Just continues to go downhill. 2014 kind of was the same way, but he got them turned around in the NCAA tournament.

Agree with both of you but neither are getting my point. My point is Barnes isn't going to put up with the mistakes when he has a seasoned roster. Simons won't get the minutes he wants and needs imo

No, I see your point. Mine is that when he's not asked to win every possesion by scoring or creating his (anyones for that matter) mistakes should and will decrease.

Coaches deal with "mistakes" by every player they have or will coach, Barnes is no different. They all weigh the pros vs the cons that players produce.

VN Store

Back