Coaching Search Thread

He reportedly turned us down last time, so no.

He didn't turn us down, Dave refused to budge on assistants' pay. White wanted the P5 job but unless Tennessee was willing to give the assistant coaches a considerable raise he was fine at La Tech. Hoping Dave learned his lesson.

Because the Coach K coaching tree has been WILDLY successful.

Oh, wait - a total of 2 Elite 8 trips amongst 13 coaches, along with nine of those coaches being fired from their positions at one point or another.

Capel is the only K member that coached at power 5 and then came back. The village idiots run wild on VN. Didn't realize we had so many wise people who can predict outcomes as certainties.

Capel is the only K member that coached at power 5 and then came back. The village idiots run wild on VN. Didn't realize we had so many wise people who can predict outcomes as certainties.

I'll leave you be. We'll see how he does at Arizona State, because that's where he's headed.

Ben Jacobson would be a home run hire.

Also saw Mark Price's name being thrown around some, he's coaching with the Hornets. Would be an interesting hire for sure.

If we are going on the cheap how about Mike Young of Wofford. He went 28-7 this year has taken Wofford to the big dance 12 out of 14 years. Lost to Arkansas in the tourney by 3. We could do a lot worse.

Reactions: 4 people
Why would they transfer when they go to the tourney every year and upset high seeds every other year? He goes to the tourney more than most of the "up and comers" listed before him. And he has to be realistic in his recruiting. No major player is gonna fo to OVC unless its grades or issues. You don't know how he would recruit in a bigger league, bigger school, and with a bigger budget.

You realize Belmont has never won an NCAA tournament game, right? I was hoping that we would have hired Coach Byrd the last 2 searches, but I think our window for hiring him has closed. However, if he did show interest, I think we hire him on the spot. If nothing else, he would establish some security and stability.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, he went mediocre and then went back under coach K in a winning environment and made new contacts in recruiting for K. Capel is Duke's main recruiter. To think that just because he was mediocre at one stop, he will be mediocre at all stops is quite foolish. If you know such certainties, why didn't you warn Hart about Tyndall?

He's been mediocre at all stops.

9 seaons as a head coach. 20+ wins only 3 times.

Capel sucks, move on.

It is absurd that we will have our fourth coach in four years. Even more amazing is that in the middle of all of that turmoil we have had decent basketball. If the University can ever get their @#$# together and have a little stability we may actually be a competitive team. Dare to dream I guess.

3rd in 3 years....but yes, you are right......it sucks!

Can we start one where we keep it to legitimate names (no Smarts, Pearls, Marshalls, etc.)?

Based on UTs last 4 hires, who were all mid-majors, here's who I see as legitimate names:

Will Wade (UTC HC) - won't move the national meter much.

Bobby Hurley (Buffalo HC) - in line for a big-time HC job in next few years, but can he recruit in the south.

Ron Hunter (Ga St. HC) - he would be near the top of my list.

Steve Prohm (Murray St. HC) - also in line for a big-time HC job in next few years. This would be a solid hire.

Michael White (LA Tech HC) - he turned UT down once and I don't see them going back down that road.

Rick Byrd (Belmont HC) - it wouldn't be a good coaching search thread without throwing his name in. He would stabilize the program and run a clean program, but age and energy are a factor.

Rick Stansbury (former Miss St. HC) - this would be intriguing. Had no NCAA issues despite what some think.

Please add to the list if I have left someone legitimate out.

Additional names:

Ben Jacobsen (Northern Iowa HC)

Chris Mack (Xavier HC)

Brad Underwood (SFA HC)

Andy Toole (Robert Morris HC)

Billy Donlon (Wright St. HC)

Konzo will be looking for a new job soon. :)

You realize Belmont has never won an NCAA tournament game, right? I was hoping that we would have hired Coach Byrd the last 2 searches, but I think our window for hiring him has closed. However, if he did show interest, I think we hire him on the spot. If nothing else, he would establish some security and stability.

Excuse me. I apologize. Seems like they always run top seeds to the wire year after year. Forgot that Duke and Wiscy squeaked those wins out.

This should be the easiest decision any UTAD has ever had to make: Hire Bruce Pearl immediately.

If this doesn't happen, Dave Hart had better hope he backs into the next John Wooden. Anything less and Bama Dave should be gone.

In fact, Bama Dave should be gone regardless. He lucked out on Butch (who still has a lot to prove on Saturdays), and he had the chance to get Pearl the first time.

Pinkins has been named interim. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried him for a season and held off on a hire and did some actual vetting if he can't handle it.
Knows the players.
Good teacher.
Mentors: miller, Kennedy, Tyndall
other teams have tried it. Depaul comes to mind.

will David Blackburn do the next basketball hire ?

maybe he should be at the top of the list :)

I'll waste everybody's time with my choices: Sean Miller, Mike Brey or Gregg Marshall. Unlike UT I think big.

this++++1000 other than our AD not wanting to spend the money no reason it couldn't happen...

If our AD doesn't see the trend in the SEC they are more retarded than I already think they are... All SEC schools are spending money on the best coaches in ALL of their sports because they know you have to spend money to make money.. Today you can't depend on just football or BB you need to be successful in at least two major sports to pay for all the crap they have to pay for now..

:hi:

Why would they transfer when they go to the tourney every year and upset high seeds every other year? He goes to the tourney more than most of the "up and comers" listed before him. And he has to be realistic in his recruiting. No major player is gonna fo to OVC unless its grades or issues. You don't know how he would recruit in a bigger league, bigger school, and with a bigger budget.
Actually i do, I've researched Byrd every single time a vacancy opens up. It wouldn't be a good fit here. What he does at Belmont is special to that school and area. He's too old to start somewhere now. I doubt We go for Byrd.

Also, from visiting this forum for years, surprised that so few of you are calling for Hart's head. Just remember: he vetted Tyndall for three hours before hiring him because spent that Saturday through 2 PM Monday trying to hire Mike White.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back