Coaching Search Thread

Chris Mack would be a homerun hire for the amount of money we will spend. I doubt he would leave though, I think he has some good teams coming up.

Reactions: 1 person
Hire who you should've hired last year: Mike White.

Stop the disillusions of getting a "big name" or a Power 5 coach. This is Tennessee basketball. We simply do not do that.

This....... He is only Coach K tree member that has had success before going back and being an assistant under K. He has made a lot of recruiting contacts in his past years at Duke that would be very beneficial. And K's reference would be very legit.

We don't want Capel.

In nine seasons as a head coach he has three 20+ win seasons.

Outside of the Blake Griffin year, he hasn't done anything in the tournament.

Capel would be a horrible hire.

Reactions: 6 people
We don't want Capel.

In nine seasons as a head coach he has three 20+ win seasons.

Outside of the Blake Griffin year, he hasn't done anything in the tournament.

Capel would be a horrible hire.

Here's the thing, we don't need an up and comer who's suffer through 10 win seasons the next two years. Need a seasoned coach who knows adversity. Not gonna get that with a young coach who's been heading a team for 3 or 4 years.

Why is it ridiculous? Other than UT not being willing to pay up.

Take a look at recent history --- UT's last 4 hires have all been mid-majors (Peterson - Tulsa, Pearl - UWM, Martin - Mizzou St., Tyndall- Southern Miss). We are not going to spend the money to get a Marshall or Smart. Not saying I don't want UT to do it, but it just isn't happening.

Reactions: 4 people
#BringBackBruce #TeamBBB #TeamFireDaveHart #Vols #VFL

In all seriousness, there is no good reason to not attempt, at this point, to bring back Bruce Pearl. I'm all in!

:rock:

Just hope the administration does not have a cheap attack. It did this with Tyndall and we how that played out. Pay the money and get the kind of coach Tennesse fans deserve.

Reactions: 2 people
#BringBackBruce #TeamBBB #TeamFireDaveHart #Vols #VFL

In all seriousness, there is no good reason to not attempt, at this point, to bring back Bruce Pearl. I'm all in!

:rock:

I can think of about 5 million reasons. Let's please keep Pearl talk out of this thread as it is for legitimate options only.

Reactions: 3 people
Find the next Bruce Pearl. That's what we need to do. A guy who's had success at a smaller school or mid-major, knows the game and--ideally--has some charisma. And a guy who wants to coach Tennessee in the way that Pearl and Jones (and Tyndall) did. Don't underestimate the charisma factor in coaching and, more to the point, recruiting.

Reactions: 3 people
Whoever we hire, there needs to be a clause in the contract forbidding any recruiting trips to the Southwest.

Here's the thing, we don't need an up and comer who's suffer through 10 win seasons the next two years. Need a seasoned coach who knows adversity. Not gonna get that with a young coach who's been heading a team for 3 or 4 years.

So you're saying we need a guy who knows how to lose.

I'm saying we need a guy that knows how to win.

Find the next Bruce Pearl. That's what we need to do. A guy who's had success at a smaller school or mid-major, knows the game and--ideally--has some charisma. And a guy who wants to coach Tennessee in the way that Pearl and Jones (and Tyndall) did. Don't underestimate the charisma factor in coaching and, more to the point, recruiting.

1. Mike White
2. Mike White
3. Mike White

Agreed and I think of the legitimate candidates Hurley, Hunter, and Prohm probably fit best into this mold.

LOL are people serious about hiring Jeff Capel? You guys miss what happened after Blake left?

Yeah, he went mediocre and then went back under coach K in a winning environment and made new contacts in recruiting for K. Capel is Duke's main recruiter. To think that just because he was mediocre at one stop, he will be mediocre at all stops is quite foolish. If you know such certainties, why didn't you warn Hart about Tyndall?

I see it being Will Wade, but that is just a hunch as he passed on the Charlotte job to stay at UTC.

It will need to be a quick hire for recruiting in all likelihood.

Yeah, he went mediocre and then went back under coach K in a winning environment and made new contacts in recruiting for K. Capel is Duke's main recruiter. To think that just because he was mediocre at one stop, he will be mediocre at all stops is quite foolish. If you know such certainties, why didn't you warn Hart about Tyndall?

Because the Coach K coaching tree has been WILDLY successful.

Oh, wait - a total of 2 Elite 8 trips amongst 13 coaches, along with nine of those coaches being fired from their positions at one point or another.

It is absurd that we will have our fourth coach in four years. Even more amazing is that in the middle of all of that turmoil we have had decent basketball. If the University can ever get their @#$# together and have a little stability we may actually be a competitive team. Dare to dream I guess.

VN Store

Back