Coaching Carosuel '17

In 1989 Pat Kennedy turned down TN and the job fell to Wade Houston. Kennedy was TN's first choice and was possibly the hottest name in coaching that year. What if?

A coach to keep an eye on in the future is UNT HC Grant McCasland.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/grant_mccasland_1041085.html

COACHING EXPERIENCE:
• 1999-2001 Texas Tech, director of operations
• 2001-03 Northeastern JC, assistant coach
• 2004-09 Midland College, head coach
• 2009-11 Midwestern State, head coach
• 2011-16 Baylor, assistant coach
• 2016-17 Arkansas State, head coach
• 2017-pres. North Texas, head coach

POSTSEASON EXPERIENCE
• 2004-05 NJCAA, Elite Eight (Midland)
• 2006-07 NJCAA, national champions (Midland)
• 2008-09 NJCAA, finals (Midland)
• 2009-10 NCAA Division II, Elite Eight (Midwestern State)
• 2010-11 NCAA Division II, Elite Eight (Midwestern State)
• 2011-12 NCAA, Elite Eight (Baylor)
• 2012-13 NIT, champions (Baylor)
• 2013-14 NCAA, Sweet 16 (Baylor)
• 2014-15 NCAA, first round (Baylor)
• 2015-16 NCAA, first round (Baylor)

In his only season at Arkansas St, before taking the North Texas job, he took ASU from 10 to 20 wins.

Boston Celtics assistant Micah Shrewsberry is no longer on the running at UMass. Hot name there now is Chattanooga head coach Matt McCall. Some are saying that a deal with the former Florida assistant is imminent.

My Austin Peay Gov's have agreed with USCjr assistant Matt Figger

Last edited:
I'll save the Georgetown administration some time, hire Dan Hurley, you're welcome.

I've been on the Hurley wagon for a while. He was on my list of targets when it was looking like we were going to have to replace Tyndall.

Wagner and RI were both in the ****ter when he took over and orchestrated incredible turnarounds at both places. Last year his team was derailed by injuries

I thought St Johns F'd up by not taking him

Dayton went with Anthony Grant. Definitely a step down from Archie, and he has a low ceiling IMO but he inherits a strong program. Probably not a bad hire.

I know some very delusional IU fans. They were dissappointed in getting Archie

They thought they could hire Billy Donovan

Georgetown hired Patrick Ewing. Feels like when NC State hired Sydney Lowe, and more recently St. John's and Mullins....

so who is Georgetown going to hire to teach Patrick how to coach

He actually has lots of assistant coach experience in the NBA. I think the more important question is can he recruit/build a good staff, because he has no experience doing that.

Other Coaching Notes:

* USC extends Andy Enfield’s contract through 2023
* Former Cal Great Theo Robertson Joins Golden Bears Coaching Staff

According to multiple reports, New Mexico State Head Coach Paul Weir will become the next Head Basketball Coach at New Mexico. It sounds like he beat out Florida Gulf Coast Head Coach Joe Dooley, ETSU Head Coach Steve Forbes, Texas Arlington Head Coach Scott Cross, and Spurs Assistant Coach James Borrego for the job.

Oral Roberts University Athletic Director Mike Carter announced today the release of Scott Sutton as the University’s Head Men’s Basketball Coach.

VN Store

Back