Coaching Carosuel '17

If you're talking about major bucks, T. Boone Pickens could write out a big check if Oklahoma State wanted to pursue Marshall and if LSU hires Crean, that would really be a major addition to the SEC coach wise.

If you're talking about major bucks, T. Boone Pickens could write out a big check if Oklahoma State wanted to pursue Marshall and if LSU hires Crean, that would really be a major addition to the SEC coach wise.

For some reason Underwood was only making like $1 mil per year though

For some reason Underwood was only making like $1 mil per year though

Oklahoma St is not a basketball school, and while what Underwood did at SF Austin was impressive they probably felt shelling out multiple millions per year for him was excessive.

That would be crazy if T. Boone made a run at Marshall, but he'd have to outbid the Koch brothers to get him. Seeing Marshall go head-to-head with Kansas and the other good Big 12 teams would be entertaining but I think it's great Wichita St has been able to keep him, personally.

Missouri Valley Conf is garbage after the top 2 teams

Sadly your right. I love just outside of Terre Haute (ISU) and outside of Wichita State, Northern Iowa and sometimes Illinois State it's gotten very weak. Creighton leaving really hurt and won't be long before Wichita leaves.

Sadly your right. I love just outside of Terre Haute (ISU) and outside of Wichita State, Northern Iowa and sometimes Illinois State it's gotten very weak. Creighton leaving really hurt and won't be long before Wichita leaves.

I live near Bradley - amazing how that program has hit the skids and its looking like Wardle is yet another bad hire for them

I' m not sure that Pickens has the power within the Okie Lite Athletic Department that most folks give him credit for. If he had that power then I think Mike Gundy would have been gone years ago.

Oklahoma St is not a basketball school, and while what Underwood did at SF Austin was impressive they probably felt shelling out multiple millions per year for him was excessive.

That would be crazy if T. Boone made a run at Marshall, but he'd have to outbid the Koch brothers to get him. Seeing Marshall go head-to-head with Kansas and the other good Big 12 teams would be entertaining but I think it's great Wichita St has been able to keep him, personally.

Don't know if true, but I read that Underwood was told that his contract would be reviewed pretty quickly and salary increased if he won. His agent was apparently ignored after reaching out after taking them to the NCAAT this year, so he jumped because he felt he was slighted.

Last edited:
I mentioned in another thread a few days ago that Gary Parrish had said to watch Washington with Marshall. His wife is from there, and they vacation there every year and love it. I guess he didn't have any interest.

I mean it more in the way of it is amazing that a mid-major has been able to keep him, not that he hasn't left. Admittedly they have deep-pocketed benefactors so it is a unique situation, but still amazing.

Think about it though, and it makes total sense. He has very little pressure and is paid like a Big Ten/ACC coach @ something like $3.5 mil/yr. He has it made. They worship him there, and he's paid handsomely. The only thing that could likely tug him away would be a blue blood program willing to almost double his salary, and his ego not being able to say no to that temptation.

Latest chatter & rumors:

Indiana- Steve Alford, Billy Dononvan, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, Scott Drew, Chris Holtman, Greg Marshall, Archie Miller

Oklahoma State- Doug Gottlieb, Tim Jankovich, Buzz Williams and Kermit Davis.

Cal- Saint Mary’s Randy Bennett and Nevada’s Eric Musselman

VCU- former VCU assistant and current Rice coach Mike Rhoades, Mount St. Mary’s Jamion Christian, Monmouth’s King Rice

UNC Wilmington- N/A

LIU Brooklyn- Jim Ferry, former Drexel coach Bruiser Flint

Portland State- N/A

UMass- Vermont coach John Becker.

Duquesne- N/A

Miami (Ohio)- N/A

Cleveland State- N/A

Drake- Indiana State's Greg Lansing

University of Texas Head Basketball Coach Shaka Smart has promoted Director of Basketball Operations Mike Morrell to Assistant Coach. He will replace David Cason whose contract was not renewed last week.

Morehead State Update:

I have heard that the search to replace Sean Woods at Morehead State is in the final stages, and could be down to the final two. Witt/Kieffer is running the search which drew 115 applicants. I have heard that the final group that likely included:

Jeremy Ballard – Assistant Coach Pittsburgh

Josh Schertz – Head Coach Lincoln Memorial University (TN)

Preston Spradlin – Interin Head Coach Morehead State

Kelly Wells – Head Coach UPIKE (KY).

I have also heard that South Carolina associate head coach Matt Figger is/was in the mix.

Jeff Lebo will return to East Carolina for an eight season according to AD Jeff Compher

After spending six years at the helm of the men’s basketball program for the Wildcats, Gravelle Craig and Bethune-Cookman University agreed Monday evening to part ways, allowing for Craig to seek fresher and different opportunities in the field of athletics, as his contract expires at the end of the month.

*Monmouth head coach King Rice on fire right now at Duquesne. Sounds like this one is really close to getting done – stay tuned…

* Hottest name right now at UMass is Florida Gulf Coast head coach Joe Dooley. He has killed it at FGCU, winning 21+ games in each of his four seasons there (including 26 this year). The long-time Kansas assistant was also the head coach at East Carolina from 1995-99.

*Worst kept secret out there is the first four to interview at Cal. They are: Nevada head coach Eric Musselman, Montana head coach Travis DeCuire, UC Davis head coach Jim Les, and UC Irvine head coach Russell Turner. I’ve also heard that former UCLA and St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin is making a push here.

Rice's Mike Rhoades likely replacing Will Wade at VCU. Another former Shaka Smart assistant.

*Monmouth head coach King Rice on fire right now at Duquesne. Sounds like this one is really close to getting done – stay tuned…

* Hottest name right now at UMass is Florida Gulf Coast head coach Joe Dooley. He has killed it at FGCU, winning 21+ games in each of his four seasons there (including 26 this year). The long-time Kansas assistant was also the head coach at East Carolina from 1995-99.

*Worst kept secret out there is the first four to interview at Cal. They are: Nevada head coach Eric Musselman, Montana head coach Travis DeCuire, UC Davis head coach Jim Les, and UC Irvine head coach Russell Turner. I’ve also heard that former UCLA and St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin is making a push here.

Gary Parrish said last week that Musselman makes sense at Cal. He still has a home in the Bay area from coaching the Warriors, and he has done well at Nevada.

Reactions: 1 person
A couple of notes on the California job........... from ESPN

Eric Musselman has withdrawn his name from the job.
Ivan Rabb is declaring for the NBA Draft.

From multiple sources....

John Thompson III Will Not Return as Head Coach of Georgetown

From multiple sources....

John Thompson III Will Not Return as Head Coach of Georgetown

Damn you're good. Was literally about to post this.

G'Town is an underused program. Right coach should have them in the top 20 every year

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back