Coaching Carosuel '17

From multiple sources....

John Thompson III Will Not Return as Head Coach of Georgetown

They should go after Danny Hurley. Their fans want Mike Brey but that doesn't seem realistic. Supposedly Tommy Amaker is on their list, which would be lame IMO. Also apparently Patrick Ewing

They should go after Danny Hurley. Their fans want Mike Brey but that doesn't seem realistic. Supposedly Tommy Amaker is on their list, which would be lame IMO. Also apparently Patrick Ewing

Smaller isn't cut for big time college basketball. He won't play the recruiting game (which is perfectly ok btw).

I think Hurley is a good get. I also think they go after Tom Crean and improve.

I can't believe they kept him this long. living on his daddy's coattails took him a long ways there.

That's a little unfair. He got off to a great start and made the Sweet 16 in his 2nd year and their first Final Four in 20 years in his 3rd. Granted, he had Roy Hibbert and Jeff Green but still...

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like he reversed course and is staying at Winthrop.

UMass AD Ryan Bamford said that Pat Kelsey owes the university $1 million for leaving within two years of his five-year deal, according to a buyout clause in the Memorandum of Understanding he signed Tuesday. That’s a pretty costly change of heart for Kelsey who announced late last night that he will be returning to Winthrop.

*Early names that I’ve heard at Coppin State are: Morgan State assistant Larry Stewart (former NBA player and Coppin State alum), Jacksonville State assistant Jake Morton (played at Miami, former assistant at Coppin State), and District of Columbia women’s coach Juan Dixon (former ACC player of the year at Maryland, and NBA vet). More names as I hear them.

*Speaking of MEAC jobs and NBA veterans…I’ve heard that 17-year NBA vet Rod Strickland is involved with the job at Florida A&M. He had been on the staff at South Florida before being released this season. Strickland has also worked at Kentucky and Memphis.

A couple of notes on the California job........... from ESPN

Eric Musselman has withdrawn his name from the job.
Ivan Rabb is declaring for the NBA Draft.

Yesterday, it was reported that Nevada’s Eric Musselman had withdrawn his name from the Cal search. I can now also report that Montana head coach Travis DeCuire is no longer involved.

UMass AD Ryan Bamford said that Pat Kelsey owes the university $1 million for leaving within two years of his five-year deal, according to a buyout clause in the Memorandum of Understanding he signed Tuesday. That’s a pretty costly change of heart for Kelsey who announced late last night that he will be returning to Winthrop.

I'm not familiar with contract law, but I thought there's generally a small window in which courts generally allow people to change their mind.

I'm not familiar with contract law, but I thought there's generally a small window in which courts generally allow people to change their mind.

Legally, they can move forward to attempt to collect it. However, I would guess they would negotiate it to a more manageable and reasonable amount. UMass might ask for some compensation for lost time and paying for another search, but schools also don't want to play hardball. It's not a great look, and they don't want to financially cripple a coach and his personal finances. I guess it also depends on the language of the buyout clause. He didn't exactly take a new job; he just went back to his old one.

It must have really been something important to make Kelsey back out. He agreed to $800k/year at UMass and is making at $250k/year at Winthrop.

Reactions: 1 person
The theme of the day seems to be promoting assistant coaches. Okie State promoted Mike Boynton as head coach. The carousel slows down when assistants get promoted.

Someone hire LeVelle Moton and you'll be very happy with the results. It's about time

I agree. When Tennessee hired Tyndall I was looking around the NCAA at coaching resumes and I thought at the time he was doing a great job elevating that program. He's obviously done more since then.

Last edited:
Drake

Drake University Director of Athletics Sandy Hatfield Clubb today named Niko Medved head men’s basketball coach. A well-respected head coach at Furman University and Minnesota native, Medved has a proven record of building a program through recruiting and player development at one of the nation’s premier liberal arts institutions.

Youngstown State Update:

According to multiple reports, Youngstown State will hire Fairmont State (WVa.) head coach as their next head basketball coach. He has reportedly beat out Arkon assistant coach Rick McFadden for the position. Calhoun led his team to the DII National Championship game where they lost yesterday to Northwest Missouri State 71-61.

University of South Florida head men’s basketball coach Brian Gregory has announced the addition of Scott Wagers as a Bulls’ assistant coach.

Tuesday's Notes & Updates:

* University of Washington head coach Mike Hopkins has announced that Cameron Dollar will join his staff as an assistant coach. Dollar returns to the bench at Alaska Airlines Arena after spending the last eight seasons as the head coach at Seattle University.

* According to multiple reports, Akron’s Keith Dambrot will be the next head coach at Duquesne. Dambrot’s Zips went 27-9 this past season and advanced to the second round of the NIT. Dambrot has now strung together 12-straight 21+ win seasons at Akron. In his 13 seasons as the Zips head coach, he amassed a 305-139 record

* Jerrod Calhoun, who led Fairmont State University to the 2017 NCAA Division II National Championship game, has been named the 13th men’s basketball Head Coach at Youngstown State University

* NC State has hired James Johnson as an assistant coach for the men’s basketball program, head coach Kevin Keatts announced on Monday.

* Glen Miller is no longer the Associate Head Coach at UConn. He had been on the staff there for the past seven seasons, serving the past five as the Associate Head Coach . The former head coach at Brown and Penn, Miller had also spent seven previous seasons on Jim Calhoun’s staff prior to returning in 2010. No official word yet on why he departed the staff.

* Bob Richey has been named as the Interim Head Coach at Furman. He will coach the Paladins as they continue to play in the C.I.T., and I have heard that he will be considered for the opening once the season ends. He has been at Furman for the past five seasons.

* Boston Celtics Micah Shrewsberry will have a second interview with UMass. Before joining the Celtics back in 2013, he was an assistant at Butler and Purdue.

* Speaking of former Butler assistants…I have heard that Nebraska assistant (and former Butler assistant) Michael Lewis is involved at Austin Peay.

* VERY early names at Dayton: Ball State head coach James Whitford, former Alabama head coach Anthony Grant, Northern Kentucky head coach John Brannen, current Dayton assistant Tom Ostrom, and Ohio State assistant Greg Paulus.

* Former Florida State head coach Pat Kennedy is chasing the Florida A&M job. He has also been the head coach at DePaul, Montana, and Towson.

VN Store

Back