Coaches, the positive

You have to remember that our HC has zero experience, our OC has never been a full time OC calling all the plays, and a DC who's never been one before. It's amateur hour and these guys are being paid millions to learn on the job. They will get better but I'm not convinced tgey know what they are doing just yet.

What have they done that makes you think it's amateur hour ?

I feel it's important to balance being "right" with being a miserable PITA.
Not miserable at all buddy. Its sad that you take internet board chatter about a less than mediocre football team to be someones life status. Tennessee football is a very, very, very tiny facet of my life.

During our coaching search a lot of TN fans were wanting names like Frost, Kelly, Mullen, and Sumlin. Well how about now? Frost is 0-2. First time since 1954 Nebraska started 0-2. Kelly is 0-3 getting blown out by Fresno State. Mullen lost at home to KY giving away a 31 game winning streak. Sumlin is 1-2 with his only win against Southern Utah. I know CJP has yet to prove anything as head coach yet but I think we got the right guy. The other guys have fallen on their face right out of the gate. I didn't hear anybody clamoring for Taggart but my goodness Florida State is horrible. Like always we are going to have to be patient again but I think we are headed in the right direction. I certainly hope so.

You are correct. I remember 11 years ago, I was disappointed that Steelers hired a lesser known, less experienced coach on Mike Tomlin. Their decision didnt make me joyful but it seems to have worked out
The same is true with the Boston Celtics hiring a mid level college basketball coach
Name recognition doesn't always matter

I would much rather Leach have been hired.

Of course I doubt he would let Fulmer sit in on coaches meetings and watch film with him. Which may be why he didnt get hired.
Nah. Would’ve been an awful hire/fit here.

And I love that Pruitt, a first-year head coach wants a college football HOF head coach around the program and solicits his advice and counsel. It’s smart.

And I love that Pruitt, a first-year head coach wants a college football HOF head coach around the program and solicits his advice and counsel. It’s smart.

Be careful because we don't want Fulmer to be like Jerry Jones and tries to call plays and make personnel decisions
Pruitt should let his co ordinators call plays and his recruiting manager decide who to recruit
Notice that Cowboys have won nothing since Jerry has been a micro manager
Just saying

What does that even mean, a terrible fit? If he wins does his personality matter?

Theres little doubt he would have told the powers that be to kiss his ass when they stuck their noses into his coaching business. If that is considered a terrible fit then you might be o to something. However I would much prefer a coach who doesnt put up with crap from his AD.

Pretty sure most on vn believe 3 games is way too soon to judge CJP. But we can judge other coaches in that same span?

Also weird that many folks here say history has nothing to do with anything but we use UK/UF history to prove a point

There have been TN fans that are already judging Pruitt and Helton. So its all fair game.

Reactions: Behr
Because pass first offenses have historically won lots of championships?

Pruitt is the type of coach that TN needs to be successful in the SEC. Good recruiter, tough nosed, and wants to run a smashmouth, ball control offense that eats game clock and keeps his defense rested. That style of football is what has created the most champions in this sport than any other. It's what lead TN to success under Neyland, Majors, and Fulmer.

Regardless if Pruitt is a massive success as HC, we can at least feel reassured that he knows how to recruit for this league and has a staff that has proven they know how to develop football players. With each successive hire since Fulmer we didnt think it could get worse but it did. That ends with Pruitt. He won't leave TN in worse shape than he found it. At least we have that to be positive about

What have you seen that makes you any that? How has batting two scrubs and getting our asses handed to us by a Top 15 team assured anyone that it wont get worse?

Seriously...

LOL! Could you imagine Phil sitting with Mike Leach and discussing coaching philosophies? Phil, "you got to work like heck, play conservative and be physical." Leach, "fluck that. Air that sob out and score, score, and score some more!" Phil, 'you're fired!"

That's a meeting I would love to atrend!😁

HaHa HA

why would anyone think a proven winner HC would become OC for someone who has never been an HC?

I do hope Pruitt is capable of growing into a great coach. Currently there is zero proof that he will or can.[

Any proof that he can't?

Hindsight is always 20/20. I find it hard to believe that if we hired Chip Kelly, that the vast majority of VN wouldnt have been very happy. I like Pruitt. But if given the choice between Kelly and Pruitt before the season? I am taking Kelly all day.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
There have been TN fans that are already judging Pruitt and Helton. So its all fair game.
There are people that believe bigfoot exist, Obama was a good president and all sorts of nonsense. Just because 4 people out of a fanbase of millions believe it doesnt mean it should be entertained and referred to as a point of emphasis.

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
There are people that believe bigfoot exist, Obama was a good president and all sorts of nonsense. Just because 4 people out of a fanbase of millions believe it doesnt mean it should be entertained and referred to as a point of emphasis.

Is every coaching sutuation the same? Does every new HC walk into the exact same thing when taking over?

Hindsight is always 20/20. I find it hard to believe that if we hired Chip Kelly, that the vast majority of VN wouldnt have been very happy. I like Pruitt. But if given the choice between Kelly and Pruitt before the season? I am taking Kelly all day.
We could have hired oscar the grouch and the vast majority of fans would be claiming he was the second coming of General Neyland. Thats the way it works.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Mullen. If he can win at MSU he will win at Florida eventually
Mullen is a goober, go cheer for the gators. We have the right guy, and have plenty of smart fans who will support him, because they know he’s the right guy. That’ll be proven when we beat Florida this upcoming week! GBO

Mullen is a goober, go cheer for the gators. We have the right guy, and have plenty of smart fans who will support him, because they know he’s the right guy. That’ll be proven when we beat Florida this upcoming week! GBO
I like Pruitt, but he hasn't proven anything as a head coach, nothing at all. And as much as people want that to be a debatable point, it isnt. So noone really KNOWS that he is "the guy." Now, we all hope he is so that the program we all love can be rebuilt, but so far he has fielded a sloppy, undisciplined team that isnt really good and doesnt look too concerned with winning at a high level. Whether that is indicative of his coaching ability or just the hand he was dealt, he will probably have to wait until next year to really see. This year we are just (or should be) hoping to see a few glimpses of whats to come on a positive side.

I like Pruitt, but he hasn't proven anything as a head coach, nothing at all. And as much as people want that to be a debatable point, it isnt. So noone really KNOWS that he is "the guy." Now, we all hope he is so that the program we all love can be rebuilt, but so far he has fielded a sloppy, undisciplined team that isnt really good and doesnt look too concerned with winning at a high level. Whether that is indicative of his coaching ability or just the hand he was dealt, he will probably have to wait until next year to really see. This year we are just (or should be) hoping to see a few glimpses of whats to come on a positive side.
Don’t agree one bit. We’ve looked better every week so far, we lost the first game because he has the same team as last year minus a few of that teams top players. I’m not one of the fans who said Butch or Dooley was going to be successful, now I did day that with Lane, and still feel he would’ve if he would have stayed. I truly believe Pruitt is the guy. I think He proves that this upcoming weekend! GBO

VN Store

Back