Coach Warlick

NOOOOOOO!!!! Why is Fulmer so loyal to her???? Her contract should end, when this recruiting class graduates. If she can't be successful with this recruiting class, then she just flat out can't coach.

I think the next three years will either save her or cost her the position. That #1 recruiting class is now Sophomores and she brought in another solid group behind them. If this group can't get back to the Final Four with Holly as HC over the next three years then she isn't the one to lead them. IMO

The thing is two of the Top 10-12 players in the 2020 Class is from Hamilton Hights in Chattanooga. One is a listed (6'6) center prospect.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
I don't hate Holly. I don't think she is a bad coach. I think she is probably a good coach. In other words, on a par with at least a hundred other women's coaches getting paid for it at the collegiate level. That's not going to get the Lady Vols back to the final four. That takes a great coach.

Everyone needs to understand that the vast majority of 4 and 5 star rated high school recruits are going to be average COLLEGE basketball players.

These were top 5 recruits, not just 5 star players, meaning that as seniors in high school they were expected to be one of the 5 best players in the entire country. For a measuring stick...let's see how Tennessee players have improved at Tennessee compared to their peers in the top 5.

Class of 2011: Tennesesee has Massengale and Burdick. Who were the other 3 players in the top 5 class?

Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis-won three championships and was a 2x All American
Elizabeth Williams-a 4x All American, although I'd argue she really didn't improve much under McCallie...but still, a 4x All American
Krystal Forthan-never played collegiate basketball

Class of 2012: Tennessee landed #5 recruit Bashaara Graves who won NFOY and was a stud that year. I remember UCONN fans complaining about their inconsistent freshmen while praising Graves. Graves peaked as a freshman and didn't make All-SEC her last three years after earning a nod as a freshman. How did the rest of the top 5 players pan out?

Breanna Stewart-became one of the best collegiate players ever
Moriah Jefferson-2x All American and one of the best collegiate PGs ever
Alexis Jones-was a fantastic combo guard for two years at Baylor and was twice named All-Big 12. Likely makes an AA roster as a senior if she didn't get injured midseason.
Jewell Loyd-another 2x All American who would've been a 3x All American if she didn't jump to the pros after her junior year.

Continuing on to 2013, Tennessee had Mercedes Russell and two years of Diamond Deshields. Who else was top 5?
Taya Reimer-had a good sophomore year at ND but then quit and regressed at Michigan State. Overall underachieved big time.
Kaela Davis-was an impact player at GT and a key contributor on SC's title team in 2017. Overall underachieved.
Linnae Harper-impact player as a senior, overall underachieved.

I can maybe give Holly a pass on 2013 because it was a weird class with almost all of the top players transferring, but I don't think she did anything to help Deshields improve, and Russell was the #1 kid in her class and wasn't drafted in the first round of the WNBA. That on its own is telling.

Onto 2014, I'll give Nared a break since she wasn't a top 5 recruit, she was #6 recruit.
#1 A'ja Wilson-went on to be a 4x All American and NPOY
#2 Brianna Turner-so far has been a 2x All American
#3 Ariel Atkins-was underutilized at Texas, has been a stud as a pro so far
#4 Jordin Canada-standout point guard for years in the Pac-12, 3rd team AA as a senior
#5 Kelsey Mitchell-4x All American and 2nd all time in NCAA history for career points
#6 Jaime Nared-1st/2nd team All SEC as a senior, 2nd team All-SEC as a junior

So in summary, you look at the top 5 recruits from the 2011-2014 classes, out of 19 players (not counting Forthan), 5 went to Tennessee. 9 of the 14 players who didn't choose Tennessee became AP-All Americans (with 8 of them winning AA honors in multiple seasons), while 0/5 did at Tennessee. Holly took 2 NFOYs and wasn't able to make them into All-Americans. Holly is the only coach to ever land a #1 HG recruit (looking at years 2006-2015) and not develop her into an All-American.

I know most 4 and 5 star players don't become All-Americans, but if you're landing top 5 recruits, you should be developing some of those players to an AA level.

We need to give her at least one more year. Mercedes Russell and Jaime Nared as much as I love them must have been overrated just by look at there WNBA playing time this year. I love the Lady Vol's and only hope the best. I hope this is a big breakout year for Holly and the team.

Only because they didn't get better playing for Holly. Jaime in particular has all the physical tools to be a solid WNBA player, and Mercedes likely would have been a higher draft pick if she played for a coach that pushed her more.

NOOOOOOO!!!! Why is Fulmer so loyal to her???? Her contract should end, when this recruiting class graduates. If she can't be successful with this recruiting class, then she just flat out can't coach.

"Not sure why an inferior team beat us. I thought we had a good week of practice. At this point, I just don't have any answers."
During her watch, she allowed USC to be the best team in the S.E.C. and USC beat UConvict. We haven't beaten them in quiet a while. USC has a national championship.

USC hasn’t beaten or come close to beating UCONN. MSU knocked out UConn two seasons ago and ND did it last season. The USC rising to the top during her watch was true though.

Silver lining...….……..with Coach Holly at the helm, the program and attendance will be so low...……...anyone we hire will make it better. PF is just making it better for next Coach......07c7fc792bf0d358a54d00fcfe5cfccf.jpg

That's old news and I believe it is structured in a way that allows for easier termination with lower buyout costs...but the extension means that she can still recruit competitively because recruits won't sign up to a team when a coach only has one year left on a contract.

Essentially she is coaching for her job this fall and that is the way the extension is structured. No massive lyle buyouts here.
I hope this is accurate ….that would be good news.

Fulmer and Warlick are very good friends. Like it or not, this is what came with hiring him as AD. He will never fire her... no matter how long we are mired in mediocrity.

These pla
We need to give her at least one more year. Mercedes Russell and Jaime Nared as much as I love them must have been overrated just by look at there WNBA playing time this year. I love the Lady Vol's and only hope the best. I hope this is a big breakout year for Holly and the team.

These players weren't overrated, they were underdeveloped. Same with most of the players that have been coached by Warlick, they're not growing in this program! They remain stagnant from day one and if any do go on to the WNBA, they're like completely green rookies who have to learn from the bench. They don't come in being contenders for rookie of the year, they don't come in with readymade pro skills, like some players from other programs.

Were they overrated or under-coached and undeveloped....?

Sources: Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick has signed a contract extension. Should be announced soon. Don't have details yet.

We need to realize that women’s basketball is not on the same level as men’s big two basketball and football, so I am not surprised at Holly receiving an extension. If this was football Holly would not have received an extension. It is all about what have you done lately in the top two top men’s sportswear
Sources: Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick has signed a contract extension. Should be announced soon. Don't have details yet.

I expected that Holly would get another extension, however, if this was a men’s program that had been ranked in the top 10 for over 20 years, Holly would be an afterthought. Look at all the negative records she has set in the last three years, Yet you pro Holly fans want to blame it on the players. That is plain crazy. You can recruit all the McD Americans in the world, however, you have to develop them at the next level. Being a good recruiter is fine but when you have better players, on paper, than most of the teams in the power five conferences and yet you can’t remain in the top ten, either you are recruiting bad chemistry or you need help coaching.

It is astounding to me the comments around the marginalization of the players who have come through our program.... they have been blue chippers we just have not developed them.... and the hopes still that Holly will set the ship on the right course..... 30 yrs as asst coach learning from the best.... a year as de facto head coach and then 6 more on her own.... ..... and to end up here with extension.... it is plain to see.... (not that i did not expect this) that the athletic department cares little for the success of Lady Vol basketball.... Philip F's quote on Holly and her handling of the program..... well it was laughable.... we are on the "good enough" plan with our program now.... if we win some games and are competitive in most, that is good enough.... good enough for Tenn athletics..... but far short of what i had hoped for ....

negative people go away.

A message board, by its nature, is designed as a forum for all viewpoints.
As long as there are no personal attacks on individuals, commenting on any element of the LV program is not negative. It may just differ from yours.
Who leads our program is a subjective viewpoint, neither negative nor positive.
Those who love our program but think we need different leadership are not negative people.
In fact, they love our program enough to buck it and demand more from the administration.

I love Holly. Great person. great VFL.
However, I wish we had a different Head Coach.
(If that begs the question as to who, I’d look at ND, UL, MSU and make them say no first).

A message board, by its nature, is designed as a forum for all viewpoints.
As long as there are no personal attacks on individuals, commenting on any element of the LV program is not negative. It may just differ from yours.
Who leads our program is a subjective viewpoint, neither negative nor positive.
Those who love our program but think we need different leadership are not negative people.
In fact, they love our program enough to buck it and demand more from the administration.

I love Holly. Great person. great VFL.
However, I wish we had a different Head Coach.
(If that begs the question as to who, I’d look at ND, UL, MSU and make them say no first).

I'd look in our own backyard first... we don't need a whole new engine just the right spark plug

VN Store

Back