Coach Martin and recruiting

Most don't realize this.
The alternative is scary.
Martin leaves. Stokes leaves. Recruits decommit.
TN hires another learn on the job guy.

Yup. And those complaining about bad play, or being a bubble team will have more to complain about than they ever imagined.

The grass isn't always greener.

Yup. And those complaining about bad play, or being a bubble team will have more to complain about than they ever imagined.

Everything you're saying could very well come true.

But it's kinda like the Fulmer deal. Fulmer's time had ended. Just because UT botched the hire to replace him doesn't mean he should have been retained.

Not saying we should fire CCM. Obviously, he's going to get a new deal (somewhere) this spring.

Reactions: 2 people
Everything you're saying could very well come true.

But it's kinda like the Fulmer deal. Fulmer's time had ended. Just because UT botched the hire to replace him doesn't mean he should have been retained.

Not saying we should fire CCM. Obviously, he's going to get a new deal (somewhere) this spring.

Right, so what're you saying?

Fulmer went sub .500, Martin made the Sweet 16.

Simple question. He's brought in a good incoming class but not a great one. We all know that you have bring in top notch recruiting classes in any sport to be successful. Yes, he has gotten Hubbs and Stokes, but he has to consistently bring in high caliber players every year that can make an immediate impact when we lose starters due to the NBA draft. It may sound like a stupid question but I'm just wanting an honest opinion from you guys. In my opinion, he's going to have improve his recruiting. Anyone else agree with me?

I think that's a fair question. But I also think every program feels this way. As far as the next recruiting class after researching it and asking the same question. I feel its a decent class coming in. Getting Rhett to transfer in goes a long way towards 2016. Next years recruits can develop at a slower pace. But the 2016 class is the big key. I think a freshman low post player that could contribute is an almost must have unless another transfer is in the mix after next season. Jr college players are a big risk. But that's also a possibility. I think he has recruiting heading in the right direction. A few more steals like Josh Richardson would be nice. There are bust at almost every school. Can't afford a bust in a whole class. Fingers crossed coach knows what he is doing. I just hope the good defense is here to stay. And yes I know it needs some improvement.

Reactions: 1 person
Simple question. He's brought in a good incoming class but not a great one. We all know that you have bring in top notch recruiting classes in any sport to be successful. Yes, he has gotten Hubbs and Stokes, but he has to consistently bring in high caliber players every year that can make an immediate impact when we lose starters due to the NBA draft. It may sound like a stupid question but I'm just wanting an honest opinion from you guys. In my opinion, he's going to have improve his recruiting. Anyone else agree with me?

I know some will disagree, but I blame at least part of this on the fact that he did not receive an extension last year which at least in the eyes of some would signify a hot (or warm) seat. It is enough to make a recruit considering us and another school to weight their decision in favor of the other school, not to mention that would also be used against CCM in recruiting by other schools. Of course there is also the issue of planes getting pulled which I am sure didn't really help either.

I know some will disagree, but I blame at least part of this on the fact that he did not receive an extension last year which at least in the eyes of some would signify a hot (or warm) seat. It is enough to make a recruit considering us and another school to weight their decision in favor of the other school, not to mention that would also be used against CCM in recruiting by other schools. Of course there is also the issue of planes getting pulled which I am sure didn't really help either.

Here is to hoping the future is now stable and we can move upwards as a program together as a team and fans.

Reactions: 1 person
Simple question. He's brought in a good incoming class but not a great one. We all know that you have bring in top notch recruiting classes in any sport to be successful.

Which class was Wisconsin's "top notch" recruiting class? They were just in the final four, while not having a single 4 or 5* iirc. They are a perennial top 15-20 team, and I'm not sure if Bo Ryan has ever had a Top 20 class.

Last edited:
Which class was Wisconsin's "top notch" recruiting class? They were just in the final four, while not having a single 4 or 5* iirc. They are a perennial top 15-20 team, and I'm not sure if Bo Ryan has ever had a Top 20 class.

bo ryan is a pretty special coach but three of the four had multiple four and five star players.

Or Dayton, or Wichita St.
or maybe it's the Billy Bean philosophy. If you're not the last team standing you're a loser.

bo ryan is a pretty special coach but three of the four had multiple four and five star players.

And 1 didn't, so therefore the "you have to bring in top notch recruiting classes in any sport to be successful" comment that I commented on was completely false.

Last edited:
And 1 didn't, so therefore the "you have to bring in top notch recruiting classes in any sport to be successful" comment that I commented on was completely false.

yeah but u act like its not a concern that our recruiting is not highly rated.....we barely made it with a pretty stacked team this yr.

Reactions: 2 people
yeah but u act like its not a concern that our recruiting is not highly rated.....we barely made it with a pretty stacked team this yr.

You're putting words in my mouth, I didn't say our recruiting doesn't need to improve, if I have feel free to post it.

All I am saying, and have been saying, is maybe you should wait before writing off Martin as a coach who's better with his system guys than just recruiting by rivals.com rankings.

You're putting words in my mouth, I didn't say our recruiting doesn't need to improve, if I have feel free to post it.

All I am saying, and have been saying, is maybe you should wait before writing off Martin as a coach who's better with his system guys than just recruiting by rivals.com rankings.

and u put words in mouth.....he earns what he gets and he earned another yr off his late season run.

Sam Dekker who is one of Wisconsin's best players was a 5* and the #8 player in the nation in 2012 per 247's ranking. He was also a 5*, top 15 recruit on Rivals and Scout.

PG Bronson Koenig was a 4* and was ranked #66 on the 2013 247 composite ranking. He was also a top 75 4* on Rivals and Scout.

The rest of their signees are all 3* guys, but mostly ones with good offers from Big 6 conference schools.

So while Bo Ryan is an exceptional coach, he also has some talent there, even some elite talent.

Really? What did he prove last year?

Not sure if serious. You want to know what Calipari proved last year(one season) when Cuonzo has proven to suck basically every year. If you give him a free pass for beating trash this season, you have one season where Cuonzo has proven anything. Calipari has many seasons where he has proven he's a winner. He's also proven he can put talent in the NBA.

Marcus Camby
Derrick Rose
Tyreke Evans
John Wall
Eric Bledsoe
DeMarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis

3 championship appearances. 1 championship(maybe 2 after tonight).

The better question is, what did Martin prove last year? Any year prior to this year for that matter. Oh, right.

But let's not let facts and accomplishments get in the way. Let's question the guy taking freshman to a title game while we'll be lucky if our best player even gets drafted. Isn't that why we're talking about 5* Stokes playing football? Because crappy coaching might limit him from getting drafted. NBAdraft.net shows him 38th in the 2nd round with a non-guaranteed contract.

And you're questioning Calipari's system... he had one off year. Martin has had 5 off years and everyone is calling next year a rebuilding year. I'd love to rebuild the way Calipari does. Beats 3 mediocre seasons with a lucky tournament/sweet 16 appearance and then having to rebuild all over again.

"What did he prove last year"... seriously, gtfo. What has Martin ever proven? This year he proved that he can't beat a team when they're ranked in the top 25 but can make it to the Sweet 16 against the #14 seed and a #6 seed that was seeded incorrectly. Proved he can win a play in game against a team that was 1-7 in their last 8 games. Also proved he can't beat Kentucky, like he proves every year.

But to answer your question... Calipari has proven he can go 4-1 against Cuonzo in 3 seasons with a bunch of freshman. Is that the answer you were looking for? In Calipari's 5 seasons at Kentucky to Cuonzo's 3 here, they have the same amount of conference losses and Calipari has twice as many wins. Calipari is 64-20 and Martin is 32-20. And you're actually trying to debate Calipari's system to Martin's? I'll have what you're on.

Last edited:
No doubt recruiting is important. I will certainly give you that. The blue bloods in college basketball will always be the blue bloods. U.T. isn't going to recruit on that level. It's not a bad thing, it's just that there is a limited #of 5* players to go around. Pearl did a good job of signing a few 5*'s, and Martin has 2 on his recruiting record as well. Once you get past the first 30 or so players though, I don't think there is much of a difference between the players ranked between 30-150.

Stokes was going to be another 5* recruit for Pearl.

He never would have even looked at Tennessee if not for Pearl. I'm not sure I'd really call Stokes a Martin recruit because from what I read, Stokes didn't care for Tennessee anymore until he accidentally answered Martin's call. If that's the case, Stokes would have never picked up the phone if Martin had been Tennessee's coach all along. Pearl completely opened the door to land him.

How many top 20 classes has Wichita State had? VCU? butler? Wisconsin?

Outside of Wisconsin who plays in the Big 10, how many of those teams would actually make the tournament if they didn't pad stats against crap all year? We'll call it the TCU and Boise State argument in football. It's easy to get up for big games when you play crap opponents all year and actually get to rest your players due to many blow outs. How has TCU fared in the Big 12 for football?

Better yet... How about West Virginia in the Big 12? They dominated the Big East in both football and basketball. How'd they do in a real conference? Now that they're in the Big 12, they can't even make the tournament or bowl games.

I'd put money on Wichita State, VCU and Butler having mediocre records and passed over for the tournament if they played in a major conference.

Oh ok, so he made a Sweet 16, so you admit his method works?

Wow...

So if Mike Tyson goes 40-0 against a group of blind fighters, is it as impressive as beating Evander Holyfield? Too bad he can't beat Evander Holyfield and had to bite his ear off.

Martin lost every single game against top 25 opponents this year when they were in the top 25.

If Mercer didn't take out Duke, would have lost to Duke as well.

Making the Sweet 16 is only impressive if you actually beat good teams. If you're impressed by beating 4 of 5 SEC teams with sub .500 records, 1-7 Iowa in their last 8 games, 14 seed Mercer and incorrectly seeded UMass, good for you. I'm not and I also wouldn't be impressed if Mike Tyson knocked out a group of handicapped people.

Agree, but Martin has improved every year he's been here, this year making it to the sweet 16. Seems like he's trending upwards, learning from his mistakes, and becoming a pretty good coach. I mean, he's got the best available job currently calling his number...

I'm just gonna copy and paste someone else's response until you understand that beating trash teams is an indication of nothing other than being capable of beating trash teams.

A sweet 16 "run" against umass and mercer hardly means he has arrived as a coach.

0=number of championships Tennessee has

If you're expecting a coach to come in and win a national championship, you may wanna get your head checked. Making the NCAAT, an occasional run is a fair expectations, national championship is not.

Wow.

"Believe in this coach because we'll never win anyways"

I'm not trying to be insulting but wow, what a loser. You have the mentality of a loser.

We can average top 5 nationally in attendance and renovate TBA but we can't win in basketball. Good thing schools like Boise State don't have that type of attitude. They lose Hawkins and go out and get Petersen. On they march. If you were coaching Boise State, you wouldn't have even shown up to play Oklahoma i'm guessing. Or if you were coach of Utah against Alabama.

Seriously... for all of your big talk, you sound like a terrible fan with a loser mentality. "Accept this crappy coach cause we can't do better anyways". Hopefully you never encounter someone ready to jump. Your pep talk sounds like the reason to jump. "Well, your life sucks anyways and there's no reason to try and overcome it. Just accept that your life sucks". Jumper proceeds to plummet into the ocean.

Given what you just said, I may as well stop being a fan of the team because I have no reason to believe we'll ever be better than scraping into the tournament. I don't know about you, but I watch my team in hopes that they'll win and could win it all. But if you truly believe Tennessee could never win it all, why watch? I'd never watch sports if I felt that way. Pacers, Astros and Titans all have 0 titles but it doesn't mean they never will. I watched all 3 play in title games. People think Pearl fans are the problem. You've just proven that Martin fans are the real problem. You don't believe we can do any better and believe we should be so lucky to even make the tournament. Wow... just wow.

More loser mentality.

We get it... you've accepted being a loser. Some of us aren't so willing to lay down.

I honestly don't know why you even watch seeing as you don't think we'll ever win. Pathetic.

and u put words in mouth.....he earns what he gets and he earned another yr off his late season run.

Dude eats Cuonzo burgers for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I give up. There is no getting through to him. We're always going to suck, we should accept Martin because of said reason and beating Mercer/UMass is impressive. Can't wait to go 0-5 against top 25 teams next year. All will be well if we can beat Penn and Bucknell though.

VN Store

Back