Coach Majors Appreciation thread

Three words describe coach Majors,"tough as nails"

Thank you coach Majors for laying the foundation that propelled us to the NC.

Reactions: 2 people
I just remember him doing that exaggerated kicking movement for the extra point. Or else, he stepped in Smokey's pile! LOL (Oh my, will I now be struck by orange lightnin'?!!!)

Majors was UT football when I was growing up. College football was great back then...there wasn't 24 hour news (your news came from the 2 papers and 3 local stations), no drooling over recruiting classes, etc. It was just football.

UT Football was always a roller coaster...in that they would lose to Rutgers but turn around and beat ND. But somehow listening to John Ward call the games made it better and watching the Johnny Majors Show on Sunday capped it off.

With everything at your finger tips in today's world, a bit more old-school Johnny Majors types would be a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: 5 people
I love Majors and what he did as a player. But as we want to kill Butch look at Majors first 6 years here. 4-7, 5-5-1, 7-5,5-6,8-4, 6-5-1. Granted he did have a naty. Just interesting.

All I can remember about JM is he punted on 3rd down against BAMA..
To be honest after that I was done..
He's was a good player for UT and a sure nuff VFL.
But NO on the punt......

Reactions: 2 people
All I can remember about JM is he punted on 3rd down against BAMA..
To be honest after that I was done..
He's was a good player for UT and a sure nuff VFL.
But NO on the punt......

What does a punt 30 or 40 years ago have to do with appreciating Johnny? Or are just a jerk that likes to troll?

Reactions: 3 people
Back in the old days, a good quick kick on third down could really swing the momentum of a tight game. If you had someone who could kick a low line drive with a lot of roll on it. The game was more based on defense and the scores were much lower.

That said, those days have long passed.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe you have done a really good job with this thread Thunder and I like the concept of actually staying on topic.

A tip of the hat sir.

Reactions: 1 person
Still one of my all time favorite Vols. There was also this classic where he banged the stick on the desk and told John Ward to loosen up, my favorite from the old highlight shows.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imyedn755eQ[/youtube]

I have no idea where the crossbar or uprights went to that goalpost, but the base post ended up in the triple occupancy room on K-7 of Hess Hall. Since one of that floor's residents at the time worked in the Gibbs Hall Cafeteria, pretty much the entire team made their way over before Christmas break to autograph it. God only knows where it is by now.

grate coach , he was fired with better results than Jones. there was a time when vol nation would not except the Joneses ,

VN Store

Back