Coach Majors Appreciation thread

Can't argue with that, but Majors' Tennessee teams still only had to play Bama once a year.

Not sure what Bama's dominance had to do with

4-7
5-5-1
7-5
5-6
8-4

Other than 0-1 in each of those years.

Heck even when he finally beat the Bear, we still end up 6-5-1.

Any year we beat Bama is a great year.

Majors was my favorite coach. His spirit and enthusiasm were contagious. I always thought we were going to win every game despite the odds. Of course, we didn't. But his spirited attitude made me think we would.

Maybe it's because I was in the prime of life and had more vim and vigor myself. :) But I enjoyed the Majors years so much and many of his players rank among my favorites too.

Thanks Coach Majors for some exciting years of Volunteer football.

Reactions: 1 person
Back in the old days, a good quick kick on third down could really swing the momentum of a tight game. If you had someone who could kick a low line drive with a lot of roll on it. The game was more based on defense and the scores were much lower.

That said, those days have long passed.

Employed the quick kick several times in my football-playing days. We had a good offense, but, our defense was extemely good. A quick change of field position won several games for us. If a current team has an overpowering defense, there's no reason it would not work today, provided the punter knows how to drill it and get that good roll.... plus fast coverage.

Johnny's teams gave us some good thrillers.

Yeah 25-25 vs Army, 26-26 vs UCLA, 24-24 vs Duke. North Texas State. What are a Rutgers. They don't necessarily offset the wins over Notre Dame twice and Miami in the Sugar Bowl and the 4 in a row against Bama from 82-85, but the SEC record from 77-92 speaks for itself.

Coach Majors was engaging and entertaining and a CEO type of head coach. Like everybody that thought Fulmer had sort of run his course after 16 years, that was a common denominator with Coach Majors too.

Yeah 25-25 vs Army, 26-26 vs UCLA, 24-24 vs Duke. North Texas State. What are a Rutgers. They don't necessarily offset the wins over Notre Dame twice and Miami in the Sugar Bowl and the 4 in a row against Bama from 82-85, but the SEC record from 77-92 speaks for itself.

Coach Majors was engaging and entertaining and a CEO type of head coach. Like everybody that thought Fulmer had sort of run his course after 16 years, that was a common denominator with Coach Majors too.

North Texas State?

Listening to him on Sport Talk right now. Great story teller. Love his commentary on last season.

VN Store

Back