Coach Majors Appreciation thread

My favorite phrase in Volunteer lore!:hi:

his speech against, i think it was Memphis?, when he was talking about "knocking the hell out of the guy in front of you"...had a huge smile on his face while he was saying.

dude is old school. and it was cool.

Reactions: 3 people
I wish that more of the video from The Johnny Majors Show (with John Ward) was available. I hope that somehow it's been preserved and we'll see more of it some day. Attack, attack, attack!!!

Search him, search him, search him. He loved to say that as well. When Majors was younger he liked to run with backs as they broke a long run during practice. While running with Dorsett at Pitt he said I was chasing him and the behinder and behinder I got.

Reactions: 2 people
Still one of my all time favorite Vols. There was also this classic where he banged the stick on the desk and told John Ward to loosen up, my favorite from the old highlight shows.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imyedn755eQ[/youtube]

How many minutes in is that?

Majors ended Bear Bryant's 11 game Alabama winning streak over Tennessee. Alabama was ranked #4 or higher in 8 of those 11 years (#6, 15, and 20 in the other 3 years).

Last edited:
Still one of my all time favorite Vols. There was also this classic where he banged the stick on the desk and told John Ward to loosen up, my favorite from the old highlight shows.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imyedn755eQ[/youtube]

The Johnny Majors show with Ward was "must watch TV". He could give a dang motivational speech with sincerity and passion from the heart!

Reactions: 1 person
The Johnny Majors show with Ward was "must watch TV". He could give a dang motivational speech with sincerity and passion from the heart!

This was back in the day when not alot of college football games were on T.V. I used to plan my Sunday around that show just to see the game!

Reactions: 2 people

This was back in the day when not alot of college football games were on T.V. I used to plan my Sunday around that show just to see the game!

Yep, my Dad and I watched that every Sunday.

Majors ended Bear Bryant's 11 game Alabama winning streak over Tennessee. Alabama was ranked #4 or higher in 8 of those 11 years (#6, 15, and 20 in the other 3 years).

Johnny put Bama Bear out of coaching.

When the Bear went to sleep, he first checked under his bed for Johnny 'Fricken' Majors.

Reactions: 1 person
Its a peeve of mine. I love Johnny, but he didn't get robbed of the heisman, and he'll tell you that himself. Jim Brown did.

You know, I think I agree with Brown as best, until I think how many times in a game Johnny handled the ball and what he did with it. Run, Pass, Handoff, Kick. It's hard to vote against a guy this involved that did so much so well. I memory fails me...... Someone help..... Did Johnny play defense? Seem to remember he did.

John Majors was the best Coach of Fundamental I have ever seen.. Blocking Tackling, Staying in bound rather than cutting out of bounds and picking up 10 or more yards, How to teach a RB to pick his feet up when they felt contact and run with your head up.... watch his RBs,,, And he knew the kicking game better than anyone Ive ever seen

Majors was the head coach when my blood turned from human red to Big Orange,that's why he is special to me. Once I learned his history and accomplishments,it only grew from there.
As for the tv show,when it would be on no one in the house said or did anything. It truly was must see tv.

Several have covered his coaching accomplishments, I truly appreciate his personality. You can almost say what any given current coach will before they do.
So scripted, so blah.

Majors? Ha, the world needs more personalities and glad we had/have his.

Me & Johnny.

34403360870_cab12d9b7a_c.jpg

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back