Coach JP

We are an underrated team I think. There is talent here. With the right coach we could hit the 8-9 win mark.

Could we agree with this scale?

<5 wins bad hire
6 wins ok lets see about next year, and recruiting!
7 wins this was a good hire.
8 wins Great hire!
9+ wins look out! The sleeping giant is waking up!

8+ wins in 2018 = Coach of the Year

Definitely a stretch but our SEC foes aren’t laughing at UT anymore.

Fear the Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollygirl View Post
I don't know how you call it a great hire at this point.

I agree with this. He is our coach, so I support him. But, just like recruiting. You can’t judge how good they really are for a few years.

Why wait until the WVA game, or someday in the future, to call what can be called, in opinion, today: "He's a great hire, especially given the circumstances."

Heck, he could lose by 2 points to Clemson in this (next) years NC, because of a poor decision (perhaps by a coord), and folks would say he's not a great hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I think he's a great hire. Glad we got someone with some SEC experience. But nothing is going to change over night. Patience will be needed.

Reactions: 1 person
If you’re banking on him having Kirby Smart-like success then you’re going to be disappointed. That’s an anomaly, not the standard.

Not what I said at all. We should know whether he is a good coach or not after year 1. If we're still wondering if he is a good HC after year 2, he's not.

If you’re banking on him having Kirby Smart-like success then you’re going to be disappointed. That’s an anomaly, not the standard.

That would not be a fair assessment, Kirby had vastly more talent by year two that Tennessee currently has. It will take 2-3 recruiting cycles.

Not what I said at all. We should know whether he is a good coach or not after year 1. If we're still wondering if he is a good HC after year 2, he's not.

It is an subjective grading curve to a point. It's never easy turning a 4-3 defense into a 3-4 which can take at least two years to either convert or recruit the players needed. There really are only two or three players right now that could fill in on that nose guard position in a 3-4 base: Shy, Crosby and maybe Alexis Johnson.

Luckily, or unlucky depending on your perspective, the offense has nowhere to go but up. It (should) be easy to gauge "improvement" on that front next year.

He gets three years, but showing marked improvement over the span of three years is key. However, what I consider "improvement" might not be the same for you.

It is an subjective grading curve to a point. It's never easy turning a 4-3 defense into a 3-4 which can take at least two years to either convert or recruit the players needed. There really are only two or three players right now that could fill in on that nose guard position in a 3-4 base: Shy, Crosby and maybe Alexis Johnson.

Luckily, or unlucky depending on your perspective, the offense has nowhere to go but up. It (should) be easy to gauge "improvement" on that front next year.

He gets three years, but showing marked improvement over the span of three years is key. However, what I consider "improvement" might not be the same for you.

Improvement would be beating South Carolina, Mizz, Vandy, Kentucky, and all of the OOC teams. I’ll be very happy if he can accomplish this in year 1.

Improvement would be beating South Carolina, Mizz, Vandy, Kentucky, and all of the OOC teams. I’ll be very happy if he can accomplish this in year 1.

WVU will be a tough nut to crack, but it can be done.

110% agree on the remainder.

We'll know whether he's a good coach and has a good staff by the way the players play. Missed tackles, blocks, assignments and general confusion should be noticeably reduced. He also should win a game he's not supposed to and not lose a game he's supposed to win.

It won't be hard to figure out if he's a keeper or not after year 1.

If it takes 3 years, he wasn't a good hire.

That depends on what “it” is (Bill Clinton voice)&#128513;.

If “it” is winning 8-9 games I would agree.... it can’t take him 3 years to get to a 9-win season. But if you’re saying he wasn’t a good hire if it takes him 3 years to win an SEC title, I wouldn’t agree there. He has a big rebuild ahead of him and a ton of competition to get to that accomplishment. And if he wins 10-11 games in year 3, gets to the title game but loses there, that’s not a failure, at all.

All that said, I think we know what we have by the end of year 2. If he wins 9 or more in year 2 at a minimum then he’s the right guy...if not, history tells us he’s not.

That depends on what “it” is (Bill Clinton voice)&#128513;.

If “it” is winning 8-9 games I would agree.... it can’t take him 3 years to get to a 9-win season. But if you’re saying he wasn’t a good hire if it takes him 3 years to win an SEC title, I wouldn’t agree there. He has a big rebuild ahead of him and a ton of competition to get to that accomplishment. And if he wins 10-11 games in year 3, gets to the title game but loses there, that’s not a failure, at all.

All that said, I think we know what we have by the end of year 2. If he wins 9 or more in year 2 at a minimum then he’s the right guy...if not, history tells us he’s not.

Just W-L record. He needs to be at a minimum:

Year 1 - 7-6 (6-6 if he is competitive against GA and AL and doesn't lose to KY or Vandy)
Year 2 - 9-3
Year 3, 4, 5 - 9 win minimum in each with at least 1 10 win season and an SEC championship.

Yep. TBD. As long as he goes 6-6 next season, he good. 5-7 would be disappointing, but wouldn't shock me. Kirby went 7-6 his first year, albeit with a Frosh QB.

Yes but Kirby’s freshman q.b. Was way better than anything we’ve seen from our quarterbacks. Maybe they’ll get better, but until they do we are in for a hard time. It’s hard to win with sorry play at that position.

Yes but Kirby’s freshman q.b. Was way better than anything we’ve seen from our quarterbacks. Maybe they’ll get better, but until they do we are in for a hard time. It’s hard to win with sorry play at that position.

There will be no excuse for less than a 6-6 season.

He’s an honest man, but he’s also a winner. He very well could be our version of Dabo. Fulmer put his name on the line with this hire, and I think it’s going to pay off in a big way. There will be some bumps, but stick with JP because I believe he’ll have us back in the big league.

We all need to calm down and see what happens....

There were some who claimed that Kiffin was a great hire, BUT he allowed one tailback at Ole Piss to get over 300 yards on us. Also, we lost to Va. Tech in the Peach Bowl. He also ran a less than respectable program.

Then we claimed that Dooley was a good hire because he came from the same gene pool as Vince Dooley. He also won at La. Tech.
He recruited well but could not coach and make silly statements in the public arena.

Then we claimed that bUTch was a good hire. He won at Central Michigan. He won at Cincinnati. He is a student of Brian Kelly. He coached J.J. Watt & Antonio Brown...

Let's wait about five years to see how things go. He may first has to implement his STYLE of defense and offense with HIS players and his assistant COACHES.
The verdict will be out in 2022 season....

Hell even Gene Chizik won with a great offensive player in Scam Newton and a great defensive player and a great offensive co ordinator. That does not make Gene a great coach. He was a one hit wonder.

If he’s the real deal, WVU should be easy. They just lost to Utah..

And they are in the way too early top 25 because they return 14 starters including Grier. Plus, Holgerson isn't a coach to be underestimated.

It's a winnable game given the talent on the Vols' roster, but won't be easy by any means.

There will be no excuse for less than a 6-6 season.

Yes there will be. We were winless in the SEC for the first time in history. The entire culture needs to be revamped. You don’t do that in year 1, especially the way virtually every other team in the East is improving at a time when we have been regressing.

VN Store

Back