Coach JP

He’s an honest man, but he’s also a winner. He very well could be our version of Dabo. Fulmer put his name on the line with this hire, and I think it’s going to pay off in a big way. There will be some bumps, but stick with JP because I believe he’ll have us back in the big league.

Fulmer also put his name on the line with Clawson.......

This is about where my head is as well. He wins one SEC game next year and it's a 100% improvement in that stat year over year but would be a massive fail and under performance. He has my support but am I ready to declare him a "great" hire? I guess it depends what your benchmark is for great. I've had this discussion with various VN posters previously. For example was Nic Chubb a GREAT RB? Not in my view. Chubb had one GREAT season as a freshman and was never ever able to duplicate or exceed it the rest of his collegiate career. This final season, he wasn't even the best RB in the SEC or on his team. Johnson at Auburn had more total yards and Sony Michel had better ypc stats, so IMO Chubb was not great, very good he was. It is WAAAAAAY to early to tag CJP great, he may be, but Bucth Jones after his first 9 win season on The Hill was termed "great" and as we all know that clouds in my coffee dream vanished. CJP may be great but we actually will not know that until we see the product he puts on the field for a few years.
I agree with what you say about Chubb and are saying as it relates to our new coach.

To put him in the proper perspective, I think we, at least for the most of us find him "comfortable".

Reactions: 2 people
Hopefully this isn't one of those funny thread bumps in 4 years.

Yep. We go through this with every coaching hire. Hoping for the best, but his abilities as the head coach remain unproven. Time will tell. Recruiting looks promising, but let's see how he does with next years class and with player development. Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I'll take the wait and see approach.

Yep. TBD. As long as he goes 6-6 next season, he good. 5-7 would be disappointing, but wouldn't shock me. Kirby went 7-6 his first year, albeit with a Frosh QB.

We are an underrated team I think. There is talent here. With the right coach we could hit the 8-9 win mark.

Could we agree with this scale?

<5 wins bad hire
6 wins ok lets see about next year, and recruiting!
7 wins this was a good hire.
8 wins Great hire!
9+ wins look out! The sleeping giant is waking up!

Reactions: 2 people
He’s an honest man, but he’s also a winner. He very well could be our version of Dabo. Fulmer put his name on the line with this hire, and I think it’s going to pay off in a big way. There will be some bumps, but stick with JP because I believe he’ll have us back in the big league.

He hasn't done that since maybe 10 years ago or better yet that cool TV Commercial, 'Joint Health' Featuring Phillip Fulmer. As a Hall of Fame coach, Phillip Fulmer understands that winning championships takes the …Synodrin. Yeah, he's really done it this time.

We don't know if he will be great but he has the potential to be great. I like what I see so far.

How do you know he is honest? Honesty is subjective in some cases...

You don’t have the reputation and get the respect from players that JP has unless you’re an honest guy, unless they trust and believe in you. Also, JP wasn’t mealy-mouthed and in his presser yesterday the Lyle continually was for 5 straight years. He answered all the questions in a straightforward manner....he even andwered the question he didn’t answer, about which “positions of need” were most pressing honestly by saying “it wouldn’t be smart for him to answer that question”.

Look, the proof will be in the pudding over time with JP in terms of how honest he is, how forthright he is, how good a head coach he’ll prove to be. But in my humble estimation, his track record tells us he’ll very likely be all of the above here at Tennessee. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
As a Bama fan I respect how CPF allowed JP to finish what he started this year at Bama. I hope for JP he is a successful coach for you but not in October. He is a class act and will (should) do great things on the hill.

You be like:

1wewab.jpg

And we be like:

rocky-iv-best-rockyt.jpg

And then you be like:

hqdefault.jpg

And then we be like:

rocky-goes-on-to-avenge-his-friend-by-beating-drago-in-a-match-in-the-soviet-union.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
I'm starting out liking this guy vs. wanting to like the last 3.

Yea exactly. I liked Dooley’s personality more than Butch’s, but I wasn’t thrilled about either hire. But hell, what choice did we have when Kiffin left?

Where was CJP in 2010 when hired Derek Doofus? Finally what many are believing to be a quality coach. Go get um coach. Give em nightmare when they think of the Vols.

Where was CJP in 2010 when hired Derek Doofus? Finally what many are believing to be a quality coach. Go get um coach. Give em nightmare when they think of the Vols.

He was still early in his career gaining coaching experience and we were still fighting the Haslam machine

We are going to give Alabama fits in the near future.&#128556;&#128151;&#10084;&#65039;&#128077;

Okay Derek, Deja Vu again? I said this for about 3 yrs in a row since Kiffin was here. We'll see. They have the best staff in America and the best recruiting record for 3 of the past 4 years. Is luck strong enough to overcome those two obstacles "in the near future?" I don't know.:hi::hi:

Still disappointed with the hire. But after the schiano crap, I figured I can't really complain. It can always be worse.

He did great at Bama, so I know he will be great @TN..Saban would not have hired him if he wasn't..

QUOTE=VolFan4Life87;15006334]Time will tell. I’m cautiously optimistic and behind him 100% though[/QUOTE

Yea exactly. I liked Dooley’s personality more than Butch’s, but I wasn’t thrilled about either hire. But hell, what choice did we have when Kiffin left?

Name an interim coach for the season and do a thorough search the next offseason.

VN Store

Back