Coach Doug Mathews radio show notes this morning

100 % agree Barnett absolutely influenced Vereen and Lewis' statistics.

But as I remember, Phillips and Kongbo shared the field with him too, to less results.

Now the question is, how much better does everyone have to be to replace the impact Barnett had in that instance?

It's a tough question to answer. But also remembering Kongbo played out of position for half the season (can't recall how many games honestly) and I personally think he bought into his own hype before getting a dose of humility.

What Hoke and Shoop have to do is present one playmaker to start a game, Kongbo for example, and get the opposing team to shift their focus on him. Then hit the opposing offense with the other side or some secondary blitzes to keep them off balance. I was just watching the highlights from the UF game last year and you can see how Shoop was bringing the heat in the second half of that game after UF focused on keeping Barnett from wrecking Appleby. Barnett was able to break free plenty of times because of his natural ability, but the pressure came from the remainder of the defense as well. It was a freaking storm of orange (or gray in this instance) going after Florida's QB.

I think there is plenty of talent on the defensive front four of the ball (barring injuries, knock on wood) to disrupt an offense. It's just determining who gets to be the "focused target" of the opposing offensive line that's the key.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, laugh at a kid giving his all for Tennessee.

Very adult of you.

I'm not laughing. Football isn't a garden of the month contest. He isn't a good kicker. Not my fault. Just my observation.

Guess we should just play anyone off the street then?

If I went to work this week and destroyed $50,000 worth of robotic equipment, you think my boss would let me just hang out on the same job the next week? Uh. No.

Not how the world works. You have a job. If you can't do it, then you have to be replaced. Nothing personal. It's all business. But that IS the business. Medley isn't a good kicker...next man up.

Reactions: 4 people
I hate to say this but extremely relieved upon hearing coleman thomas and brett kendrick areprob not starting?

My amateur, but dedicated eye has considered them to be a huge contributor to any overall weakness and under performance of our OL unit as a whole. For two years have noticed when Jack Jones comes in, we get a huge push all of the sudden.

I have been perplexed and wondered what the deal was. Im not saying Jones is a world beater or its totally a deal of addition by subtraction... but the truth is in there somewhere.

No offense meant to thomas or kendrick and deeply appreciative of the awesome depth and experience they will provide coming off the bench. That is huge to have two battle scarred warriors waiting and ready on the 2nd team!

Which does bring up a question I posed rrbefore

Does MG give his "all" for the Browns since prior to his draft he made public comments he didn't want to be drafted by them? Even now, some sportswriters are saying he's potentially going to be Defensive Rookie of the Year. Stupid...

Anyway, I think we see the Barnett Beast come out this year and start wrecking fools. And in the end, will get serious consideration for the Rookie of the Year award.

Barnett will put up better numbers as a pro because they actually do call holding.I've never seen a player held more than he was.

I hate to say this but extremely relieved upon hearing coleman thomas and brett kendrick areprob not starting?

My amateur, but dedicated eye has considered them to be a huge contributor to any overall weakness and under performance of our OL unit as a whole. For two years have noticed when Jack Jones comes in, we get a huge push all of the sudden.

I have been perplexed and wondered what the deal was. Im not saying Jones is a world beater or its totally a deal of addition by subtraction... but the truth is in there somewhere.

No offense meant to thomas or kendrick and deeply appreciative of the awesome depth and experience they will provide coming off the bench. That is huge to have two battle scarred warriors waiting and ready on the 2nd team!
I seriously doubt that Tatum is staring over Kendrick.
Thomas has been a huge liability on 3 man fronts when he has to take on a NG.
Tatum has played in one game while Kendrick has been one of the more consistent performers. He is coming back from surgery though.

It doesn't surprise that the defense would be ahead early in camp. That's to be expected. The problem is further exacerbated by the large number of new skill players. The timing should get better with each scrimmage. Same is true with the OL. Their communication and coordination should improve. Like has been said, it's the toughness that really needs to be better. All five need to play with an attitude.

We are most definitely more talented at DE this year.

Agree 100%. Kongbo and Taylor are SIGNIFICANTLY more talented than Barnett and Vereen. Who knows if they will be more productive but the talent advantage is clearly on their side. Both Kongbo and Taylor look like how you want NFL caliber defensive ends to look. Both are long and explosive. Especially Kongbo who has Myles Garrett-esque physical attributes.

With a big season, I could see Kongbo being drafted HIGHER than Barnett this past year. Mainly because his physical attributes are insane.

A person who attended Wednesday's scrimmage said the defense did look a lot better. Unfortunately, he also said the offensive line still did not look great. Which would worry me without Dobbs breaking away ability.

But I also want to make clear it was one scrimmage, that does not mean they're not going to come out and play very well by the first game. Even possible if our defense is doing that well, that's part of the reason the ol didn't look great.

I said earlier this off-season that the defense would be the strength of this team. We have significantly more talent on defense than offense if you look at the star ratings of our players when they were recruited. Based on recruiting ratings we actually have a top 5-10 defense based on talent. And I believe once the season starts the defense will play to that top 5-10 level.

Offense will take a step back because Dobbs and Kamara are all-time special athletes that covered up for a lot of deficiencies along the offensive line and in coaching. However, I like Larry Scott a lot more than Mike DeBord. He'll be an upgrade. I also expect the offensive line to improve. They won't be the strength of this team as some want to claim. They are still a weak link along with the wide receivers. But they should improve from the pathetic performances they put on tape all of last year.

Team 121 = 15-0 National Champions. :rock:

Reactions: 1 person
I said they have more talent. I didn't say all three were going to break the record.

Yeah these guys can't tell the difference between talent ad production.

Kongbo and Taylor are clearly more TALENTED than Barnett. Both are taller, stronger, faster, and significantly more athletic. Whether they get as many sacks as Barnett is questionable but their physical tools aren't.

I can tell you right now that if Kongbo gets 10+ sacks this year like Barnett did last year, he'll end up getting drafted higher than Barnett. Kongbo has those Myles Garrett-esque physical attributes that'll have the NFL scouts salivating.

Kongbo and Taylor are clearly more TALENTED than Barnett. Both are taller, stronger, faster, and significantly more athletic. Whether they get as many sacks as Barnett is questionable but their physical tools aren't.

I can tell you right now that if Kongbo gets 10+ sacks this year like Barnett did last year, he'll end up getting drafted higher than Barnett. Kongbo has those Myles Garrett-esque physical attributes that'll have the NFL scouts salivating.

Well you have been 100% correct on your draft predictions so far. Definitely no reason to believe this could be wrong.

Not sure DB is a once a generation type talent.There are great DE's all over the country and I'm sure more are coming. Players these days are so much bigger,faster and are everywhere. Now Peyton was a once in a generation type player. Not that I buy this but most the majority outside Volnation think Myles Garrett was the better of the 2. I definitely think they couldn't be further from the truth and would take DB over him any day and every day.

He only broke All-Everything Reggie Whites sacks record thats stood for 35 years... in three seasons here. But whatever he's no once in a generation talent breaking records that are almost 2 generations old. Keep talking out your butt, you look foolish.

Some of you guys are going to be shocked when UT can't get to the passer the way they did last season.

I'm not saying they will be bad at it, but there will certainly be a drop off from last season. I really hope y'all are right and I'm wrong, but I just don't see the DE position being better this season than last.

Last edited:
I suspect that we'll take a step back in the pass rush but the trade off will be a more effective defense against the run. A pass rush isn't solely dependent on the front four either.

I agree

didnt do enough what?

Play younger talent. Said the staff did a poor job of getting the following players on the field last season.....Bituli, Warrior, Taylor, even Dormady (although there weren't nearly as many opportunities for QD to play as they others). I think he was 100% right.

Agree 100%. Kongbo and Taylor are SIGNIFICANTLY more talented than Barnett and Vereen. Who knows if they will be more productive but the talent advantage is clearly on their side. Both Kongbo and Taylor look like how you want NFL caliber defensive ends to look. Both are long and explosive. Especially Kongbo who has Myles Garrett-esque physical attributes.

With a big season, I could see Kongbo being drafted HIGHER than Barnett this past year. Mainly because his physical attributes are insane.

I give you more props than chop you down but Barnett is a player you only see every 30 years. Kongbo isn't even close.

I can't tell if you are agreeing with him or pulling a Bruin and being contrarian by saying "it's possible they could be better". Well, it's possible the sun explodes on Monday too.

Nationdom said it as an absolute. I know how you get miffed about those.

Vereen and Lewis weren't chopped liver. I think it's fine and reasonable to expect this new group to be good and not go into full paint chip eating mode and say they will be better.

I DO get miffed at absolutes. This one teetered enough on the believable opinion side for me to roll with it as such...specially coming from our favorite absolutist. :) Equating the possibility of our overall DE talent being greater with a supernova (even tho our sun is too small) and the resulting black hole, however...:nono:

Completely disagree that either Kongbo or Taylor are more talented football players than Derek Barnett.

You still don't get it do you? It's not about your body fat % and how you look in your uniform.....and it's not about you're 40 time or vertical jump......it's about how you perform on the field.

Taylor is an outstanding athlete, no doubt about that, but Kongbo has shown absolutely nothing yet....nothing. Let's see either of them have the quickness, "get off", bend and ability to get to the football before saying either are "clearly more talented", shall we? Derek doesn't do all those things exceptionally well because he's the non athletic schlub you keep saying he is. Barnett is light years more talented than you evidently have the ability to see/understand.

Reactions: 4 people
I suspect that we'll take a step back in the pass rush but the trade off will be a more effective defense against the run. A pass rush isn't solely dependent on the front four either.

This is what im expecting also. I mean, Barnett was a generational guy. But he was also just one reallllyyyy good player on the worse defensive unit in Tennessee program history.

I would trade 20 something sacks in exchange for a top 20 rush and pass defense if thats what happens this season, and i think we could possibly do that.

I still see Phillips, Kongbo and a few others getting like 5 sacks each this year. That all adds up. Especially if you can actually stop the run and force the QB to throw it.

VN Store

Back