Coach Doug Mathews radio show notes this morning

Huh?

I can't just repeat your words to make an inference about their meaning. You aren't even being coherent.

Let's just say you used an "if" when you meant to express your belief/opinion more directly and call it a day

Is this a prank? :lol: NOTHING you just posted made sense...and then you say I'm incoherent. :w00t: I say what I mean pretty clearly, I don't need your wine stompers mashing it up. Since you're determined to be confused, I think we have the potential for more aggregate talent to play ON THE FIELD at the DE position than last season. Not sure why that opinion vexes you so, but don't stop on my account.

Reactions: 2 people
The injuries most definitely hurt us last year but even with then we should have never lost to SCe and Vandy. Those are 2 inexcusable losses. And let's not forget we beat UF with 3 of our best defensive players hurt. And as many injuries we had last yr that wasn't what lost us the A'M game. Turnovers and penalties were the 2 reasons we lost to them and we weren't beating Ala whether we were healthy or not. Just my 2 cents but I really don't see a game we lost that we could really blame injuries on. SCe and Vandy was coaching,focus and just horrible play from pretty much everyone.

Spot on Jason. However, plenty on here with an agenda conveniently go the lazy route and say it was only about the injuries.....it wasn't vs SCar and Vandy, the two games that wrecked our season and even they know it. Doesn't stop em from pushing that falsehood though.

Reactions: 1 person
Was just about to submit this, but saw yours.

I know it's been discussed, but I still just can't wrap my head around "thinks Medley is better than most do, he's consistent from 40 yrds. In".

Is it that hard to find a better one?

Remember Daniel Lincoln? He was money from 25 and in, and wasn't to good from any farther. They couldn't find one better than him, so in comparison I doubt they will find one better than medley.

Remember Daniel Lincoln? He was money from 25 and in, and wasn't to good from any farther. They couldn't find one better than him, so in comparison I doubt they will find one better than medley.

I had really hoped that Laslo Toser would have challenged Medley for the kicker position. When he was at Ooltewah he was money in the bank. Not sure now if he is even on the roster. He may have gotten disgusted and went elsewhere. He was definitely a boomer.

Lettered at Ooltewah High School in Ooltewah, Tenn., for coach Mac Bryan
2014 TSSAA Kicker of the Year at Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards
Honored as 5A District and Regional Kicker and Punter of the Year
Ranked No. 1 kicker in the state of Tennessee by Kohl's Kicking
Kohl's All-American in 2014
Class 5A All-State selection as a senior in 2014
In 2014, made 15-of-20 field goals and 53-of-54 PATs as a senior
Kicked 72 of 79 kickoffs for touchbacks
Helped Owls to perfect 10-0 record in 2014 regular-season as a senior
As a junior in 2013, made 3-of-5 field goals and 48-of-50 PATs

I'd settle for having just one DE who could set an edge and demonstrate an ability to defend the outside run....

How many outside runs for long yardage did we give up last year?

This is what people miss. Selling out for a pass rush can leave you venerable to getting gash by the run

Practically never agree with Nationdom, but Barnett was ONE great player. If Taylor, Kongbo, Phillips, Butler et al play COLLECTIVELY well...we're better at the position.

Barnett is obviously a superstar. That said, due to the firing of our entire interior DL last year, outperforming the position group as a whole should be easily expected. The 2nd half of the season, we were decimated. UK, UM, & VU gashed us up the middle horribly.

I don't care if Barnett is a generation player or if Kongo can carry his gym bag! It doesn't matter if we get fewer sacks from a particular position group if the db's perform better. All I care is about is this year's team and how they perform on the field collectively. If they all play up to their potential as a team, we should be a better team than last year with better results.

I'm hoping for 10-2, losses to Bama and one of Ga, Fla, or LSU. I truly believe we can beat everyone on the schedule, but not likely.

GO VOLS!!!

I'm hoping for an undefeated mythical national championship season where theVols go 15-0 beating Alabuba three times en route to the mythical title and winning the best title on the planet, THE SEC FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP, but reality sets in and I realize that it's no longer 1995-1998, and these Vols have limitations including, serious limitations which include physical toughness at many positions, and until that gets resolved the Vols are no more than an 8-4 team. Hopefully, that will get resolved this season with the new strength coach, and new assistants, but I will believe it when I see it.

I had really hoped that Laslo Toser would have challenged Medley for the kicker position. When he was at Ooltewah he was money in the bank. Not sure now if he is even on the roster. He may have gotten disgusted and went elsewhere. He was definitely a boomer.

Lettered at Ooltewah High School in Ooltewah, Tenn., for coach Mac Bryan
2014 TSSAA Kicker of the Year at Tennessee Titans Mr. Football Awards
Honored as 5A District and Regional Kicker and Punter of the Year
Ranked No. 1 kicker in the state of Tennessee by Kohl's Kicking
Kohl's All-American in 2014
Class 5A All-State selection as a senior in 2014
In 2014, made 15-of-20 field goals and 53-of-54 PATs as a senior
Kicked 72 of 79 kickoffs for touchbacks
Helped Owls to perfect 10-0 record in 2014 regular-season as a senior
As a junior in 2013, made 3-of-5 field goals and 48-of-50 PATs

True freshman Brent Cimaglia is reportedly kicking well and pushing Medley. I don't care who it is, Cimaglia or a much-improved Medley, or even Toser, just have to be much better than Medley has been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyman View Post
He only broke All-Everything Reggie Whites sacks record thats stood for 35 years... in three seasons here. But whatever he's no once in a generation talent breaking records that are almost 2 generations old. Keep talking out your butt, you look foolish.

Little man I need you to give your ears the same opportunity you're giving your suck and pay attention. I'm only simplifying this for you one time brother. I was talking about physical attributes,overall talent and production not just stats. What DB did was nothing short of amazing and will always be one of my favorite all time Vols. But he doesn't have the attributes and once in a generation type talent that some guys have. He had to do his through hard work,heart and sheer desire. If he had the stats combined with MG or Kongbo size,strenghth and pure athleticism he would then be a once in a generation type talent. Put DB in Kongbo's body and God only knows the type of numbers he would have put up. Kongbo has the potential to put up better numbers,be better and go higher in the draft than DB once he gets the experience and fully learns how to play the game. He just hasn't played it near as long and is still learning how to play football but once he does I fully believe and expect him to be one of the better DE's we have seen in a long time. I hope I explained that in a way you understand and realize it was not a knock on DB at all just saying he wouldn't fall in the once in a generation type player. You're welcome BTW that was free!!

"he broke (a) record...that stood for 35 years (in 3/4 of the typical time period)"

"but once he does, I fully believe" -- okay, I fully/totally hope you're given the chance to say "look, I told you so" (in addition to the "look, I'm telling you so.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyman View Post
He only broke All-Everything Reggie Whites sacks record thats stood for 35 years... in three seasons here. But whatever he's no once in a generation talent breaking records that are almost 2 generations old. Keep talking out your butt, you look foolish.

"he broke (a) record...that stood for 35 years (in 3/4 of the typical time period)"

"but once he does, I fully believe" -- okay, I fully/totally hope you're given the chance to say "look, I told you so" (in addition to the "look, I'm telling you so.).

Barnett was a once in a generation player for the Vols at DE. His play, effort on the field, and production demonstrate that much.

For those that doubt that he's that type of a player for the Vols ask this simple question.

When was the last time UT had a DE selected in the first round of the NFL draft? And once you figure that out, ask yourself this, how many Vols at DE have ever been drafted in the first round of the NFL draft?

True freshman Brent Cimaglia is reportedly kicking well and pushing Medley. I don't care who it is, Cimaglia or a much-improved Medley, or even Toser, just have to be much better than Medley has been.

Agreed KB. I'm really tired of watching many high school and small college programs put kids on the field who routinely kickoff through the end zone where UT somehow finds kids that cannot get it to the end zone line. Same for kids kicking field goals, we just cannot seem to find kids year in and year out that are solid consistent performers at a level one would expect to see in the SEC.

I think "We still shouldn't have lost to Vandy and South Carolina" will eventually replace "Rest in Peace" on headstones across the southeast.

Agreed KB. I'm really tired of watching many high school and small college programs put kids on the field who routinely kickoff through the end zone where UT somehow finds kids that cannot get it to the end zone line. Same for kids kicking field goals, we just cannot seem to find kids year in and year out that are solid consistent performers at a level one would expect to see in the SEC.

Medley's kickoffs haven't been an issue...now start the list.

I agree - was just hoping a home boy could make a name for himself

VN Store

Back