Coach Doug Mathews radio show notes this morning

practice squad player in the games so far.

With a real nitch for picking up dumbass penalties

Really think it was more Him and Martinez not getting along and poor coaching from Martinez with the entire secondary. Fully expect that not to be an issue this year.

What?? I hope this is an attempt at sarcasm. UT will be replacing maybe the best DE is in school history, their all time sack leader and an All-American.

Practically never agree with Nationdom, but Barnett was ONE great player. If Taylor, Kongbo, Phillips, Butler et al play COLLECTIVELY well...we're better at the position.

Reactions: 9 people
Then you are really misinformed, a player like Barnett only comes around every generation, it's extremely unlikely than UT will find a player as good or better than him this season. UT has talent at DE but nothing like last season.

Not sure DB is a once a generation type talent.There are great DE's all over the country and I'm sure more are coming. Players these days are so much bigger,faster and are everywhere. Now Peyton was a once in a generation type player. Not that I buy this but most the majority outside Volnation think Myles Garrett was the better of the 2. I definitely think they couldn't be further from the truth and would take DB over him any day and every day.

You make 0 sense dude.

He makes great sense. Barnett didn't miss a game. Everyone else did miss and alot of the players multiple games or even out for the season. While you will not replace Barnett I think the defense will improve immensely if we stay healthy.

Reactions: 3 people
Likes injury status.
Should play young talent more over experience.Didn't do enuf of this last year.
Should beat Tech but will be close game.
Shamburger, Jackson, Ignont, Chandler, Palmer all good.
Must be better at stopping the run.
Thinks offensive tempo will slow some this year.
Won't score as many points this year.
Significant improvement on defense.
Really likes Hoke and Warren.
Tougher better aligned secondary.
Martin has had excellent fall camp.
Warrior can be exceptional.
More talented on D everywhere except DE.
DKJ may be all conference.

375 carries from last year must be replaced on offense.
Kelly not as good at pass catching as Kamara but ok.
Will mostly be used inside the tackle running.
CFA prob not 2nd team. Will be Chandler or Jordan.
JJ will get most balls thrown his way.
Only 5-6 rotation at WR.
Byrd and Calloway can be difference makers.
Only one quality TE. Ethan should see more passes.
Oline still strength of team.
Kendrick and Thomas prob won't start/shows depth of position.
Jashon at center is good move.

Daniel great weapon. Thinks he's best punter in country.
Thinks Medley much better than most do. Consistent from 40 yards in.
Good coverage teams.
Expects more zone than man coverage from secondary.
DBs will play more off ball...6-7 yards.
Less inside pressure from LBs.
Fewer sacks from dline but better tackling and run containment.
Hasn't seen enuf from QBs to know all of strengths.
But, expects QD to start against Tech. QD very strong arm.

Ended with tribute to Frank Broyles.

What I think is funny he makes all these predictions and then says hasn't seen enough from the QB's. Tells me he hasn't seen enough from any position to really make any playing predictions.

Reactions: 1 person
Practically never agree with Nationdom, but Barnett was ONE great player. If Taylor, Kongbo, Phillips, Butler et al play COLLECTIVELY well...we're better at the position.

I can't tell if you are agreeing with him or pulling a Bruin and being contrarian by saying "it's possible they could be better". Well, it's possible the sun explodes on Monday too.

Nationdom said it as an absolute. I know how you get miffed about those.

Vereen and Lewis weren't chopped liver. I think it's fine and reasonable to expect this new group to be good and not go into full paint chip eating mode and say they will be better.

I can't tell if you are agreeing with him or pulling a Bruin and being contrarian by saying "it's possible they could be better". Well, it's possible the sun explodes on Monday too.

Vereen and Lewis weren't chopped liver. I think it's fine and reasonable to expect this new group to be good and not go into full paint chip eating mode and say they will be better.

I said they have more talent. I didn't say all three were going to break the record.

Was just about to submit this, but saw yours.

I know it's been discussed, but I still just can't wrap my head around "thinks Medley is better than most do, he's consistent from 40 yrds. In".

Is it that hard to find a better one?

Seriously. We have got to get a top class kicker.

Collectively, Barnett, Vereen, and Lewis are better than Kongbo, Phillips, ect.

Really think it was more Him and Martinez not getting along and poor coaching from Martinez with the entire secondary. Fully expect that not to be an issue this year.

This.

I think ole Willie Martinez mailed it in after John jancek was canned. Those two are buddies going back to Georgia in 2008-9 where Martinez was actually the D-coordinator and Jancek was the D-backs coach....and Georgias defense sucked and Mark Richt canned Martinez.

Collectively, Barnett, Vereen, and Lewis are better than Kongbo, Phillips, ect.

Vereen was a great player, no doubt, but you can't dismiss the fact that Barnett was the one most opposing Offensive Line/Coordinator coaches focused on. And when you double team one player off the line, that opens up more potential for others to come in and make their mark.

I'm not taking anything away from Vereen, but some of our D-line play came from the fact people were more focused on trying to stop that freight train of Barnett and didn't realize until it was too late the locomotive on the other end of that train was coming for them.

Not sure DB is a once a generation type talent.There are great DE's all over the country and I'm sure more are coming. Players these days are so much bigger,faster and are everywhere. Now Peyton was a once in a generation type player. Not that I buy this but most the majority outside Volnation think Myles Garrett was the better of the 2. I definitely think they couldn't be further from the truth and would take DB over him any day and every day.

Barnett has a physical toughness and a relentless mentality than MG lacks. MG may have the more talent of the two but Barnett will be the better player of the two in the NFL just like he was in college.

Last edited:

If it does, we won't see it!

Vereen was a great player, no doubt, but you can't dismiss the fact that Barnett was the one most opposing Offensive Line/Coordinator coaches focused on. And when you double team one player off the line, that opens up more potential for others to come in and make their mark.

I'm not taking anything away from Vereen, but some of our D-line play came from the fact people were more focused on trying to stop that freight train of Barnett and didn't realize until it was too late the locomotive on the other end of that train was coming for them.

100 % agree Barnett absolutely influenced Vereen and Lewis' statistics.

But as I remember, Phillips and Kongbo shared the field with him too, to less results.

Now the question is, how much better does everyone have to be to replace the impact Barnett had in that instance?

Reactions: 2 people
You can never judge how good or bad a squad will be based on practice

Does the defense look more improved because the offense is bad?

Does the offense look bad because the defense is so good?

You cant tell how good a boxer is until hes in the ring

Barnett has a physical toughness and a relentless mentality than MG lacks. MG may have the more talent of the two but Barnett will be the better player of the two in the NFL just like he was in college.

Which does bring up a question I posed before the NFL Draft...

Does MG give his "all" for the Browns since prior to his draft he made public comments he didn't want to be drafted by them? Even now, some sportswriters are saying he's potentially going to be Defensive Rookie of the Year. Stupid...

Anyway, I think we see the Barnett Beast come out this year and start wrecking fools. And in the end, will get serious consideration for the Rookie of the Year award.

VN Store

Back