Cigars

Smoked a Brick House Corona Larga. This cigar was rated a 91 or 92 on Cigar Aficionado, which is really good. They also rated it the best value cigar. I was looking forward to this cigar and after lighting up it proved to be well worth the price. The taste was a little dark for me. I could tell there was a lot going on but my inexperienced pallet was not up to par with detecting all the complexities offered. The cigar was constructed really well and it smoked very well. To me, the smoke was light in comparison to the taste. However, I was outside and the lighting can play tricks with smoke. I wasn't a huge fan of the cigar, however i'd smoke it if someone offered me one. I'll probably not buy another because, at this point, im more into creamy cigars. I would recommend this cigar to a friend.

Love me some Brick House. Great values, very consistent.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a problem. I live in a city with only one cigar shop, however the state run liquor store has a nice humidor with a great selection of cigars. The cigars at the liquor store are kept at 70/70 while the local cigar shop is a store with cigars in the shop, no humidor, and I'm guessing the owner thinks, because it's south Florida, the humidity is fine without having a large humidifier. I've noticed the cigars I get from the local shop are never consistent and always have issues with taste and burn problems. I feel bad, I like the owner and I like supporting local businesses but I don't want to waste my money on cigars that are have issues. Where do you guys usually buy cigars?

I have a problem. I live in a city with only one cigar shop, however the state run liquor store has a nice humidor with a great selection of cigars. The cigars at the liquor store are kept at 70/70 while the local cigar shop is a store with cigars in the shop, no humidor, and I'm guessing the owner thinks, because it's south Florida, the humidity is fine without having a large humidifier. I've noticed the cigars I get from the local shop are never consistent and always have issues with taste and burn problems. I feel bad, I like the owner and I like supporting local businesses but I don't want to waste my money on cigars that are have issues. Where do you guys usually buy cigars?

Cigars - PipesandCigars.com

I buy from a local store, they'll order about anything they don't have on hand.

I'd ask the guy why he doesn't have one, mention that the tobacco is off more often than not. Stability is important for maintaining them

Last edited:

It is likely humid enough in the store to keep the cigars from damaging. If you have your own humidor at home, just buy the slightly dry cigars from the local store and then take them to your humidor. After a few weeks, they will be restored to the right humidity, will taste better, and will burn better. Any big walk in humidor won't have the best consistency with humidity, so it is a good idea no matter where you get cigars to get them a few weeks in advance so you can humidity them yourself. This will require that you build up a bit of a collection and replace as you smoke so that you have cigars that are humidified on hand as well as newer dried out could gigars.

Like Sam said, if you store them properly for a few weeks in your humidor they should be fine. I personally try to keep enough on hand where I can let them sit a few months. I have some that have been sitting in my humidor for years.

As for where to buy. I also like to support my local store but its so much cheaper to buy online I'd say I buy 90% online. There are plenty of good cigar sites but Ive used CI more than any other.

Cigars, Humidors, Cigar Accessories, Pipes - Cigars International

What Sam and Salute said is dead on.

I don't smoke all that much, especially in the summer, but I do keep enough on hand to rotate and let things age a bit.

Smoked several 'Cubans', that we purchased on the resort. Romeo y Julieta) in the Dominican. they were very tasty. Granted i was a tobacco user for many years (dipped grizzly straight, as well everything on the market). They were very good. Paid 40.00 for about 4 of them, so it wasnt too expensive.

i could taste the freshness. but that was about it. a cigar is a cigar is a cigar.

Last edited:
Smoked several 'Cubans', that we purchased on the resort. Romeo y Julieta) in the Dominican. they were very tasty. Granted i was a tobacco user for many years (dipped grizzly straight, as well everything on the market). They were very good. Paid 40.00 for about 4 of them, so it wasnt too expensive.

i could taste the freshness. but that was about it. a cigar is a cigar is a cigar.

I've been smoking cigars for years and I have to disagree with your last sentence. All cigars are not the same, not even closeÂ… ThatÂ’s like saying all beers are the same, or all wine is the sameÂ…

IÂ’m not one that says Cubans are head and shoulders above the rest but itÂ’s no secret that a REAL Cuban is a damn fine cigar. ItÂ’s possible that what you smoked were counterfeit Cubans. ItÂ’s estimated that over 80% of the Cubans sold in the Caribbean are fakes. IÂ’ve seen fake Cubans in the Dominican at very nice resorts. The only cigar chain that has a deal with Cuba to sell their cigars in the Caribbean is La Casa del Habano. They have stores all over the Caribbean and theyÂ’re the only store where youÂ’re guaranteed to be buying authentic Cubans. There are a few other reputable stores, Havana BobÂ’s in Cozumel comes to mind but for the most part if you buy a so called Cuban in the Caribbean anywhere other than a La Casa del Habano store there is a very high chance you are buying a fake.

With that said, the Dominican creates some of the best cigars in the world. When Castro seized control of Cuba and all industry there, many of the top tobacco growers fled Cuba and set up in places like Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic. Dominicans are actually some of my favorites. I had the chance to tour one of their cigar factories last year. The soil, the amount of sun light, the amount of rain fall, the drying and aging process are all huge factors in the flavor of the tobacco. Try a mild cigar like the Dominican Davidoff Classic and then something full flavored like the Nicaraguan Gurkha Warlord and let me know if you still think all cigars are the same.

I've been smoking cigars for years and I have to disagree with your last sentence. All cigars are not the same, not even closeÂ… ThatÂ’s like saying all beers are the same, or all wine is the sameÂ…

IÂ’m not one that says Cubans are head and shoulders above the rest but itÂ’s no secret that a REAL Cuban is a damn fine cigar. ItÂ’s possible that what you smoked were counterfeit Cubans. ItÂ’s estimated that over 80% of the Cubans sold in the Caribbean are fakes. IÂ’ve seen fake Cubans in the Dominican at very nice resorts. The only cigar chain that has a deal with Cuba to sell their cigars in the Caribbean is La Casa del Habano. They have stores all over the Caribbean and theyÂ’re the only store where youÂ’re guaranteed to be buying authentic Cubans. There are a few other reputable stores, Havana BobÂ’s in Cozumel comes to mind but for the most part if you buy a so called Cuban in the Caribbean anywhere other than a La Casa del Habano store there is a very high chance you are buying a fake.

With that said, the Dominican creates some of the best cigars in the world. When Castro seized control of Cuba and all industry there, many of the top tobacco growers fled Cuba and set up in places like Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic. Dominicans are actually some of my favorites. I had the chance to tour one of their cigar factories last year. The soil, the amount of sun light, the amount of rain fall, the drying and aging process are all huge factors in the flavor of the tobacco. Try a mild cigar like the Dominican Davidoff Classic and then something full flavored like the Nicaraguan Gurkha Warlord and let me know if you still think all cigars are the same.

And 80% is probably low.

i researched the romeo y julieta. although the label said habana, i almoat guarantee it was a fake. the way the resorts use pushy sales tactics makes me think its all a rouge

I agree, if you're not in a quality cigar shop I'd say its pretty close to 100%. Even some of the good shops are still selling fakes. Only way to be sure is buy at a La Casa del Habano.

Yep. Even places like Sandals sell the fakes.

The crazy thing is, some of the fakes I've bought haven't been half bad. Granted, I've never spent more than 2 or 3 bucks on them so I had low expectaions, but still...

Honestly, I'm perfectly happy with a good Dominican or Nicaraguan.

Thanks for the buying sites suggestions. I purchased a premium variety pack and love it. Previously, I only kept one or two sticks in my humidor and now I have over ten. I usually smoke one a week. But now I have a problem. I live in Florida and we keep our house between 78-82 degrees. I know cigars are suppose to be keep at the 70/70 range. I wanted to buy an thermo electric wine cooler to store my sticks but it's been hard finding one worth the money. However, my neighbor was throwing away some large strofoam coolers which I grab and I'm now storing my sticks inside the coolers and putting in an ice pack to keep cool. I have to change out the ice packs at least once a day to keep it cool. It's kinda of a pain paying a lot of attention and the humidity seems to be high because of the condensation. I'll let you know how it's progressing but I don't think I want to keep switching out ice packs.

Thanks for the buying sites suggestions. I purchased a premium variety pack and love it. Previously, I only kept one or two sticks in my humidor and now I have over ten. I usually smoke one a week. But now I have a problem. I live in Florida and we keep our house between 78-82 degrees. I know cigars are suppose to be keep at the 70/70 range. I wanted to buy an thermo electric wine cooler to store my sticks but it's been hard finding one worth the money. However, my neighbor was throwing away some large strofoam coolers which I grab and I'm now storing my sticks inside the coolers and putting in an ice pack to keep cool. I have to change out the ice packs at least once a day to keep it cool. It's kinda of a pain paying a lot of attention and the humidity seems to be high because of the condensation. I'll let you know how it's progressing but I don't think I want to keep switching out ice packs.
Ice packs may lead to condensation and to high humidity , go to a gun shop and get a dry silica pack to possibly equalize humidity, your local cigar shop may have electric humidors

Ice packs may lead to condensation and to high humidity , go to a gun shop and get a dry silica pack to possibly equalize humidity, your local cigar shop may have electric humidors

here is a humidor i like real well and it is very cheap

"Tennessee Waltz" cigars are pretty good!
Enjoyed one tonight in celebration of our Victory over Northwestern!

9$ a stick at The Tinder Box

Or you can buy online.http://www.crownedheads.com/cigars/tennessee-waltz/

Spicy and very leathery at first, smooths out midway and finishes strong, I had to poke it for some aeration , but it's a nice full bodied cigar.
I'll smoke more in the future, I'd like to be able to buy a box for the "Third Saturday in October 2016" !

How sweet would it be to enjoy a Tennessee Waltz Cigar while swaying to "The Tennessee Waltz" after we beat Bama!?!?!!!

I wish they sold a them in 5 packs, more affordable and frees up space in my humidor.

Lil sis got me a 5 pack of Camacho toro Tubos "Ecuador" (currently my all around favorite) and a 5 pack of Romeo y Julietas "Reserve in a 60 gauge!
Dad threw some Drew Estate Acids variety in my stocking , so I'm pretty well stocked up for a while.

Merry Christmas and Happy Newyear y'all! Happy smokes!

Got a shipment of cigars in last night. I'm enjoying a Rocky Patel catch 22 Robusto right now. Its delicious.The best deal I came across was a box full of Torano noventa. Going to try those out this weekend. They were on sale from $290 a box down to $49.99 so I bought two of them.

Got a shipment of cigars in last night. I'm enjoying a Rocky Patel catch 22 Robusto right now. Its delicious.The best deal I came across was a box full of Torano noventa. Going to try those out this weekend. They were on sale from $290 a box down to $49.99 so I bought two of them.

CI is your friend.

I order from everywhere. Thompson Cigars, Cigars.com and Cigar International. CI seems to have the best deals on super nice cigars.

CAO Mx2

Decent smoke it's quite the slow burner, not box worthy but a nice long relaxing stick. Super complex, double Madura wrappers, Brazilian and broad leaf Connecticut. Would've paired better with some Woodford reserve, I'm drinking Sam Adams summer ale.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
CAO Mx2

Decent smoke it's quite the slow burner, not box worthy but a nice long relaxing stick. Super complex, double Madura wrappers, Brazilian and broad leaf Connecticut. Would've paired better with some Woodford reserve, I'm drinking Sam Adams summer ale.

Been buying those for a year or so, good smokes

VN Store

Back