Cheating Under Rick Barnes

Yay our media doing their best to make our athletics look good any way they can. Even though this is beyond a non issue that has nothing to do with our coach. Heaven forbid they see it for what it is.

No kidding. You would think they would read the article before just tweeting about it like its end of the world. It doesn't look anything like the UNC scandal where there was a system of cheating. This looks to be the typical college kid cheating on a test. Heck I don't know many people that have never cheated on a test. Hardly a scandal

In other news:

There are 87 days left until it's FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 6 people
Here's what I don't understand: If Barnes did not personally engage in or enable academic misconduct, and did not have personal knowledge of other people engaging in or enabling academic misconduct on his or his players' behalf, how can he be held responsible for it? Especially considering that these academic tutors are way, way down the chain of people he could have routinely interacted with. It would be one thing if they had called his DBO for instructions. But they didn't. They called the football support guys, who called a senior assistant AD. At no point were Barnes or his staff in the chain of communication, if the article can be believed.

If he is seriously penalized, I hope he lawyers up and takes the NCAA to court. I already thought this rule was insane to begin with, but it very well may be illegal.

Reactions: 1 person
From another article: march 2015

Texas coach Rick Barnes recalled that when the Longhorns lost one of their talented players to academic ineligibility in 2005 he went to his athletic director, then DeLoss Dodds, and said it couldn’t happen again. According to Mr. Barnes, it hasn’t.

“Nothing is more important than the integrity of the University of Texas,” Mr. Barnes said. “If you look at our compliance office now, you would think we had a satellite NCAA office on our campus. If our academic adviser tells me a guy needs to be in study hall, we’ve got guys who have missed practice.”

No kidding. You would think they would read the article before just tweeting about it like its end of the world. It doesn't look anything like the UNC scandal where there was a system of cheating. This looks to be the typical college kid cheating on a test. Heck I don't know many people that have never cheated on a test. Hardly a scandal

Have any of you guys in this thread actually read the report? It's not good. This isn't something to shrug off.

Reactions: 3 people
I can't believe Mr. Anti-Rick hasn't chimed in. I guess not a big enough BUZZ.

These problems seem to have been out in the open like the Kabongo suspension.
You run into trouble with the NCAA when you lie, cover up or destroy potential evidence.
Not the case here.

Basilio had the writer on his show earlier. I was unable to listen but it should be archived later.

If the NCAA were to find violations at Texas, Mr. Barnes — now head coach at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville — could face NCAA sanctions.

I'd like for them to explain this statement.

They don't provide the slightest bit of evidence that suggests Barnes was responsible for any of the improprieties that went on...

F it, if anything happens I'm done.

image.jpg

Yay our media doing their best to make our athletics look good any way they can. Even though this is beyond a non issue that has nothing to do with our coach. Heaven forbid they see it for what it is.

You figure if there was ANY cred to it that someone bigger would have picked it up...weak sauce.

@Ben_Fred: FWIW, @bradwolverton told @sports180 his gut read is he doesn't think Barnes will have an NCAA problem based on his reporting for the story.

@BDavisAAS: Curious to see response from Tennessee. Impossible to believe Rick Barnes wouldn't know the story was in the works.

Some texas reporter

@Ben_Fred: FWIW, @bradwolverton told @sports180 his gut read is he doesn't think Barnes will have an NCAA problem based on his reporting for the story.

But he found it necessary to publish an article that be front page news and contribute to the image that Tennessee athletics are a dumpster fire.

VN Store

Back