Cheating Under Rick Barnes

Rumors don't even bother me about the basketball program anymore, we got rid of Donnie and the paper trail he brought with him. Not happening again.

That's what I said! :) Doesn't seem to matter anymore whether the head guy knew anything about it or not. They are investigating 3 players under the Barnes banner, same as Tyndall, I believe.
Tyndall and staff knew what was going on at Morehead State. Played the 'duh' card when it came to light.
Don't think the same tactic will work for him this time.

Inb4 cite it.

First let's dispell one of your falsehoods:
"The NCAA charged Tyndall with failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance and failure to monitor his staff's interactions with a booster, put Morehead State on probation for two years and levied penalties that included the loss of one scholarship for one season and the reduction of permissible recruiting days, phone calls and official visits."

"According to the NCAA infractions report, Tyndall and his staff "had knowledge of and at times directed or encouraged the impermissible recruiting activities by the booster." Although the NCAA conceded it's not uncommon for fans and alumni to contact coaches about prospects, it acknowledged this booster went beyond just the sharing of information.

The report said Tyndall "mistakenly thought that as long as the representative interacted with prospects and Morehead State's coaching staff as a talent evaluator, then his activities and his interaction with the coaching staff were permissible" and "never recognized" that the booster's activity "were contrary to NCAA legislation."

And then he lied to us:

"It was isolated to one booster situation," Tyndall said Tuesday. "A gentleman who meant no ill harm or ill will, but because he was a graduate of Morehead State University and was contacting some players without our knowledge, he became quote-unquote an extra coach. It wasn't the case that we asked him to do any of these things."

Coach Donnie Tyndall 'learned from' NCAA case at Morehead State | Local News | Times Free Press

And the part you left out, "athletic director Dave Hart said Tennessee did its due diligence looking into Tyndall's past NCAA trouble. "We looked into that as you would expect we would," he said. "We looked into that very thoroughly and were absolutely satisfied at the end of that examination. We have no concerns moving forward."People that know me and people that work in this department know that compliance is our No. 1 priority, and our staff will tell you we very rarely meet where we don't talk about compliance. We've invested in it. We have nine people in compliance, and one dedicated to basketball and one dedicated to football."Many schools at the lower levels, they don't have those resources, and some maybe are lucky to have one person who oversees that and does the education. We were absolutely satisfied moving after we had researched that situation."

We do not yet know if he lied to us about anything, my friend, and we won't until the NCAA reports.

And the part you left out, "athletic director Dave Hart said Tennessee did its due diligence looking into Tyndall's past NCAA trouble. "We looked into that as you would expect we would," he said. "We looked into that very thoroughly and were absolutely satisfied at the end of that examination. We have no concerns moving forward."People that know me and people that work in this department know that compliance is our No. 1 priority, and our staff will tell you we very rarely meet where we don't talk about compliance. We've invested in it. We have nine people in compliance, and one dedicated to basketball and one dedicated to football."Many schools at the lower levels, they don't have those resources, and some maybe are lucky to have one person who oversees that and does the education. We were absolutely satisfied moving after we had researched that situation."

We do not yet know if he lied to us about anything, my friend, and we won't until the NCAA reports.

I'd love for you to find a time when an AD didn't say they did a thorough job. It is quite obvious they didn't do a good enough job.

I'd love for you to find a time when an AD didn't say they did a thorough job. It is quite obvious they didn't do a good enough job.

It has been reported in various places that UT did as well as they could have on CDT. USM gave him clearance and the NCAA was contacted and reported that there was no concerns on their part. Obviously something was wrong at USM but nothing came out until the coach had been here several months. Unless Dave Hart is an oracle there's not much else he could have done.

Yet Tennessee's actions following their phone conversation with the NCAA would suggest they certainly do know something.

Last edited:
It has been reported in various places that UT did as well as they could have on CDT. USM gave him clearance and the NCAA was contacted and reported that there was no concerns on their part. Obviously something was wrong at USM but nothing came out until the coach had been here several months. Unless Dave Hart is an oracle there's not much else he could have done.

This.

He believed Tyndall could bring stability to a program that had lacked it since Bruce Pearl left Tennessee amidst his own NCAA violations in 2011.

On Friday, Hart held a news conference to admit he was wrong.

“I was convinced at the time that Donnie had learned from that,” Hart said hours after informing Tyndall that he had been fired as Tennessee’s basketball coach with cause because of the looming likelihood of sanctions against Tyndall for possible violations during his time at Southern Miss. “That’s why I referenced the fact that there are a lot of coaches in the industry who have had a transgression but never had another one. Was that a risk worth taking? Not standing here today, it wasn’t.”

Hart said it’s a risk he won’t take again.

“I do,” Hart said when asked who bears responsibility. “Just as I bear responsibility for any and all hires that I have ever made, of coaches, of administrators. And I am proud of my track record in that regard. But I am certainly not perfect, and I have yet to meet that man or woman who is. ... That anger, that frustration, that disappointment (felt amongst the fan base), that is being felt, believe me. I feel those emotions very much so. So I can certainly identify with what people are feeling right now. That is why I slept an hour and a half last night. I feel those same emotions.”

Apologetic Dave Hart takes responsibility for hiring Donnie Tyndall - GoVolsXtra Story

Dave Hart admitted he made a mistake. Wish you would wake up too,

Well, let's just hope Rick Barnes doesn't get shanghaied by the NCAA like Tyndall did. The NCAA investigator having worked with the source for four years caused the NCAA to give him a "reduced role" in the investigation. Lots of angles and we will know nothing until the report is issued. Gonna be a doozy either way. All coaches are really at risk since the rule changed. This may be the case that changes that.

Well, let's just hope Rick Barnes doesn't get shanghaied by the NCAA like Tyndall did. The NCAA investigator having worked with the source for four years caused the NCAA to give him a "reduced role" in the investigation. Lots of angles and we will know nothing until the report is issued. Gonna be a doozy either way. All coaches are really at risk since the rule changed. This may be the case that changes that.

Translation: I really hope Barnes gets fired too because I'm so mad that my favorite coach/best friend got caught; so much that I will continue to try as hard as I can to make it seem like Barnes is anywhere close to the same situation Tyndall put himself into.

Reactions: 7 people

This is nothing close to a landmark case.
I'd focus on UNC.

VN Store

Back