Canales coming for second interview

1237363745_old_people_fighting.gif

That left hook tho!

Fair enough, and I'm not saying he is a terrible coach in all regards. Obviously he has been employed for quite awhile. I know I'm being picky. I'm just salty. The SEC has some of the best coaches in the country. We have to upgrade our staff if we truly want to recruit, develop players, and play like the elite teams are in today's game. I want us to go after the best of the best. In my opinion, hires like this and our current staff just continue to put us at a disadvantage in the SEC. We have been losing in the SEC East while it has been down. We need to bring our staff up to par with the rest of the SEC and country.

However, I'm not paid millions of dollars to make these decisions. Scott and Canales could turn out to be great additions if they happen. I just do not believe we have the luxury of taking chances on these hires. I'd like someone to have a proven track record with successful experience. It'd bring new ideas to our offense and create instant credibility with recruits.

Agree with everything you say. I think Canales is an improvement over a GA QB but if I could choose it would be Weinke over Canales and a slew of other over them both. Like you said, I don't have the position to make the call.

I agree but I believe it is a salary issue. Bang for the buck. Butch is probably as bummed as you.

That's a possibility. But our coaching staff is the 9th highest paid in all of college football. Also, LWS has said that we have 1.5-1.8 million for OC/QB coaches. It seems the money is there, but Tennessee is getting content with accepting mediocrity. We definitely do not play like we have the 9th highest paid staff.

I know Hart almost cost us Shoop and Butch was able to make it work. So it seems if he wanted more money he could get it for an OC/QB coach. Plus the $500,000 DeBord was making is freed up, we paid a lot more to get Rock, and if Scott is promoted it would only increase his salary a bit. But I think people are not so keen on jumping on the ship just to watch it sink so he's having a hard time. That or he is seriously only considering the guys we have heard mentioned. It'll be interesting to see how it all unfolds. God have mercy on us. Make the Vols great again!

So much of the battle is about creating sizzle on the recruiting trail. It doesn't seem like we're even trying to do that. I don't get it.

I don't even know what to think at this point. It may well be Canales if for nothing else than every other coach will have been hired by the time this gets done. It is unbelievable that this is taking so long. I understand the administrative debacle at UT right now but Butch has the power to make this hire. Until then the prolonging of this hire is only hurting us in recruiting.

Don't know why some people assume Butch will botch the hire(s) somehow. I think Butch has done extremely well hiring people since getting here. Larry Scott, Debord, and Shoop (a home-run hire even if it hasn't paid off yet) all great hires

Reactions: 6 people
Is Butch afraid to hire a high profile OC in that he would not have enough control over the offense? If he expects to compete for championships in the SEC, he needs to have championship caliber assistants and let them call their plays.

Is Butch afraid to hire a high profile OC in that he would not have enough control over the offense? If he expects to compete for championships in the SEC, he needs to have championship caliber assistants and let them call their plays.

its already been said that Butch doesnt have a problem giving up control of the offense. The problem is BoT and not having an AD. Butch is trying to light a fire with water.

Reactions: 5 people
I know it's all speculation, but we're looking at Butch promoting TE/ST Scott to OC, promoting QC Wells to OL, and hiring his buddy Canales for QB. Lol what a joke. Tennessee football baby!

I will give everybody their fair chance, but this was the opportunity Butch had to truly upgrade this staff. If these decisions end up being the hires then obviously that leaves a lot to be desired. I do not even know if they will be upgrades. Scott may be ok, but he has no OC experience, I do not think anybody associated with the OL should be retained, and Canales does not have anything on his resume that makes him desireable. I expect Tennessee to go after the best coaches available and we are being outdone by numerous schools. It's embarrassing. Our coaching staff does not belong in the SEC. It's almost hilarious how our staff matches up to other elite programs.

I hope we're all wrong and Butch surprises us, but at this point we know what to expect with Butch Jones.
it's pretty easy to see Butch will only hire his buddies on offense so he can control it

Can anyone name a QB that Canales has personally groomed and gotten to the NFL ?

It's rhetorical, there is one huge name that answers this question.

That's the kind of things recruits will be looking at, not how Snow College was top 10 in the nation in total offense 1992.

They will probably notice how Canales presided over one of the worst offenses in the country during his tenure at North Texas unfortunately.

It's not that people are questioning whether Canales knows more than they do about coaching offense, it's seeing teams like West Virginia and KANSAS of all teams landing hotshot coordinators and QB coaches who have actually done something meaningful this decade to add to their resume.

Reactions: 1 person
its already been said that Butch doesnt have a problem giving up control of the offense. The problem is BoT and not having an AD. Butch is trying to light a fire with water.

It's been widely reported that Butch can hire who he wants. The only hiccup could be guaranteed years on a contract. Butch is coaching for his job this year. It's hard to attract talent under those circumstances unless you overpay like hell or have some very good friends that you can call in a marker from.

Often, people give credit to a coach when it could just as easily be talent makes the difference. It's possible that every coach that goes through Alabama's door is just amazing, but it's more likely that it's Alabama.
Winning a national championship with Cam Newton does not make Gene chizik a genius.
Nor am I convinced that Lamar Jackson or Deshaun Watson have the greatest QB coaches ever. But it sure makes the resume look great.

I would add Phillip Rivers to your list of QB's that help pad a resume.

Butch treats his coaching staff like the cast of Oceans 11. Just get a bunch of your friends to come together for a project. It doesn't matter if it's good or not.

My God guys he's just a QB coach not an OC... This is a step up from not having a QB coach at all... You all still complain though

Most people understood Sheridan had a hand in developing the QB's as a grad assistant.

More than a few apparently don't feel Canales is much of an improvement on that situation other than filling a spot on the staff.

Most people understood Sheridan had a hand in developing the QB's as a grad assistant.

More than a few apparently don't feel Canales is much of an improvement on that situation other than filling a spot on the staff.

Except Sheridan was a GA, and Canales has actually been an OC several times and been a QB coach a lot as well. Been in coaching for years. So... Quite a bit of an upgrade

think about how crazy that is.... Believing a GA is equivalent to a guy that's coached for 20 years anywhere.

A full time QB coach would be an improvement over what we saw development wise with Dobbs in the passing game. No doubt.

The part that bothers me though is that Tennessee is looking to hire a coach who wasn't good enough for North Texas to retain.

And the man hasn't done anything particularly noteworthy with his players on the field in the lifespan of most current recruits to point to as a selling point.

A full time QB coach would be an improvement over what we saw development wise with Dobbs in the passing game. No doubt.

The part that bothers me though is that Tennessee is looking to hire a coach who wasn't good enough for North Texas to retain.

And the man hasn't done anything particularly noteworthy with his players on the field in the lifespan of most current recruits to point to as a selling point.
that argument, I completely get. I just don't think it's something worth getting worked up about.

I'm definitely not going to get into a debate where I defend the guy's ability. I know zero about him other than his resume and I'm not going to pretend like I have the knowledge to have a clue whether he's any good or not.

Reactions: 3 people
that argument, I completely get. I just don't think it's something worth getting worked up about.

I'm definitely not going to get into a debate where I defend the guy's ability. I know zero about him other than his resume and I'm not going to pretend like I have the knowledge to have a clue whether he's any good or not.

Can't speak for anyone else but I seldom actually get worked up talking UT football on here. It's a diversion for me, nothing more.

We are in a lull with currently so there isn't much else to discuss though.

I don't know anymore than you do either, just don't see anything on his resume that makes me feel like we can expect to see Guarantano develop into a first round pick under him. Not saying it can't happen but it seems like there would be better options available.

VN Store

Back