Canales coming for second interview

Often, people give credit to a coach when it could just as easily be talent makes the difference. It's possible that every coach that goes through Alabama's door is just amazing, but it's more likely that it's Alabama.
Winning a national championship with Cam Newton does not make Gene chizik a genius.
Nor am I convinced that Lamar Jackson or Deshaun Watson have the greatest QB coaches ever. But it sure makes the resume look great.
Exactly... Coaching surely matters, but people concoct this genius persona for every coordinator that is associated with a winner or talented individual player.

Reactions: 5 people
Exactly... Coaching surely matters, but people concoct this genius persona for every coordinator that is associated with a winner or talented individual player.

Just take the list of prospects that UT has interviewed for QB coach, maybe even Co-OC/QB, then look at some of the recent hires by such monsters of the gridiron as West Virginia or Kansas. Now google some of those names and compare resumes. You will notice some obvious differences.

1. I argue that coaching has a greater impact in football than any other sport.

2. Perception is reality when it comes to recruiting. How recruits perceive a coach's ability to develop them and get them to the next level is a huge factor in determining what school they decide to play for.

Just take the list of prospects that UT has interviewed for QB coach, maybe even Co-OC/QB, then look at some of the recent hires by such monsters of the gridiron as West Virginia or Kansas. Now google some of those names and compare resumes. You will notice some obvious differences.

2. Perception is reality when it comes to recruiting. How recruits perceive a coach's ability to develop them and get them to the next level is a huge factor in determining what school they decide to play for.

GA is a smart guy. He knows that UT is bargain bin shopping.

I think you misinterpreted his post.
GA made it very clear that he believed coaching had an obvious impact. But sometimes, that resume is padded when great players come in and leave being superstars.
I give credit where credit is due, even when I dislike someone. The turnaround in QB play here was obvious when Lane's staff took over. That shows coaching a position. Starting with someone great and them still being great when they leave, does not necessarily do so.

You can have several quarterbacks or running backs or any position on the roster, some "suck" and some excel. Yet they have the same coaches. Resumes can be padded and sometimes decent coaches don't have a lot to work with.

Reactions: 2 people
I know it's all speculation, but we're looking at Butch promoting TE/ST Scott to OC, promoting QC Wells to OL, and hiring his buddy Canales for QB. Lol what a joke. Tennessee football baby!

I will give everybody their fair chance, but this was the opportunity Butch had to truly upgrade this staff. If these decisions end up being the hires then obviously that leaves a lot to be desired. I do not even know if they will be upgrades. Scott may be ok, but he has no OC experience, I do not think anybody associated with the OL should be retained, and Canales does not have anything on his resume that makes him desireable. I expect Tennessee to go after the best coaches available and we are being outdone by numerous schools. It's embarrassing. Our coaching staff does not belong in the SEC. It's almost hilarious how our staff matches up to other elite programs.

I hope we're all wrong and Butch surprises us, but at this point we know what to expect with Butch Jones.

Last edited:
Oh and ftr, when I said "even when I dislike someone" in my previous post,I was talking about Lane, not GA.

I ain't got no time for no meeting at a waffle house. Especially in another state :)

Oh and ftr, when I said "even when I dislike someone" in my previous post,I was talking about Lane, not GA.

I ain't got no time for no meeting at a waffle house. Especially in another state :)

It's ok. Besides, I'm more Cracker Barrel speed when it comes to ass whipping.

They might be. But just because you don't recognize a name doesn't mean a guy can't do the job.

It's not just recognizing a name, it's comparing resumes. Good coaches recognize other good coaches and those coaches are often in high demand. WVU and Kansas both made recent hires with extensive recent power 5 experience. Respectively, each coach on UGA's staff held at least a power 5 job at their previous stop and about 5 of those guys have recent NFL experience. That's part of the reason why they spanked us in recruiting this year.

In search for QB coach, we've interviewed a guy with 1 year of coaching in the NFL and Chattanooga's OC. The long shot/dark horse has 2 years coaching in the NFL and there's a reason the leading candidate is a guy that's been relegated to a decade or so in the mid majors after a marginally successful decade in power 5 and NFL.

I'm normally pretty optimistic and I'm certainly no expert, but It doesn't take a genius to see this is not good.

I know it's all speculation, but we're looking at Butch promoting TE/ST Scott to OC, promoting QC Wells to OL, and hiring his buddy Canales for QB. Lol what a joke. Tennessee football baby!

I will give everybody their fair chance, but this was the opportunity Butch had to truly upgrade this staff. If these decisions end up being the hires then obviously that leaves a lot to be desired. I do not even know if they will be upgrades. Scott may be ok, but he has no OC experience, I do not think anybody associated with the OL should be retained, and Canales does not have anything on his resume that makes him desireable. I expect Tennessee to go after the best coaches available and we are being outdone by numerous schools. It's embarrassing. Our coaching staff does not belong in the SEC. It's almost hilarious how our staff matches up to other elite programs.

I hope we're all wrong and Butch surprises us, but at this point we know what to expect with Butch Jones.

We don't actually KNOW anything just yet and won't until official announcements are made.

As totally screwed up at the Admin, BoT and AD are right now it's very realistic that buTch has his hands tied behind his back with very little room to work.

AD Hart is still on the job but he's a lame duck and his bosses above him may have limited buTch on the amount of money buTch can spend to fill out his staff.

buTch may also be limited on the length of time of a contract he can offer anyone.

The morons in charge may be limiting buTch to offer only a 1 year contract so that the new incoming AD won't have his hands tied and he'll be able to make his own moves.

No serious coach will take a 1 year contract or a limited income when greener fields are wide open to him.

What we don't know might totally stun us if it leaks out later.

1 thing we do know...The Admin and BoT do NOT care at all about our sports programs and all of them should be fired and replaces post haste.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Jake Spavital will probably go to Auburn a light it up. Hope I am wrong. I would prefer Weinke over Canales for QB coach due to IMG Academy connections.

I agree completely, with Weime. IMG is to Power 5 teams like the Smokies are to the Cubs. See how that worked out, plus didn't Weinke play at Bill Meyer for the KJays?

This guy was a great OC at USF...he would do fine at Tennessee. Coached under Jim Leavitt.

He was only at USF from 2007-2009, and only was the OC in 2009. He then went to North Texas and after a few years they didn't even want him anymore. Now he coaches RB at Utah State. I do not see one QB that he developed into a star or anything on his resume that excites me. I'm being hard on him, but these are not the type of hires you make if you want to be competitive in the SEC. Butch is making Tennessee a midmajor team. We would probably win a lot of games in the American conference.

Reactions: 3 people
What did Weinke do to prepare Jared Goff during his rookie year? Not much that I saw considering he didn't even begin the year on the active roster. That's a red flag for QB development. Also, Weinke has never had to recruit. Jumping into SEC recruiting sounds like a nightmare for a new recruiter.

He was only at USF from 2007-2009, and only was the OC in 2009. He then went to North Texas and after a few years they didn't even want him anymore. Now he coaches RB at Utah State. I do not see one QB that he developed into a star or anything on his resume that excites me. I'm being hard on him, but these are not the type of hires you make if you want to be competitive in the SEC. Butch is making Tennessee a midmajor team. We would probably win a lot of games in the American conference.

Not disagreeing since he had a short time with Rivers but...

Mike Canales Bio - GoUSFBulls.com—Official Athletics Web Site of the University of South Florida

In his first stint at USF from 1996-2000, Canales, 47, was responsible for the development of USF’s first-ever quarterback Chad Barnhardt and his stellar successor, Marquel Blackwell.

Tutoring quarterbacks has been a Canales forte as he left USF in 2001 to join North Carolina State as quarterbacks coach and pass game coordinator. While at NC State (2001-2002), he coached Phillip Rivers and also helped develop future NFL receiver Jericho Cotchery.

Reactions: 1 person
Not disagreeing since he had a short time with Rivers but...

Mike Canales Bio - GoUSFBulls.com—Official Athletics Web Site of the University of South Florida

In his first stint at USF from 1996-2000, Canales, 47, was responsible for the development of USF’s first-ever quarterback Chad Barnhardt and his stellar successor, Marquel Blackwell.

Tutoring quarterbacks has been a Canales forte as he left USF in 2001 to join North Carolina State as quarterbacks coach and pass game coordinator. While at NC State (2001-2002), he coached Phillip Rivers and also helped develop future NFL receiver Jericho Cotchery.

Fair enough, and I'm not saying he is a terrible coach in all regards. Obviously he has been employed for quite awhile. I know I'm being picky. I'm just salty. The SEC has some of the best coaches in the country. We have to upgrade our staff if we truly want to recruit, develop players, and play like the elite teams are in today's game. I want us to go after the best of the best. In my opinion, hires like this and our current staff just continue to put us at a disadvantage in the SEC. We have been losing in the SEC East while it has been down. We need to bring our staff up to par with the rest of the SEC and country.

However, I'm not paid millions of dollars to make these decisions. Scott and Canales could turn out to be great additions if they happen. I just do not believe we have the luxury of taking chances on these hires. I'd like someone to have a proven track record with successful experience. It'd bring new ideas to our offense and create instant credibility with recruits.

It's ok. Besides, I'm more Cracker Barrel speed when it comes to ass whipping.

1237363745_old_people_fighting.gif

Fair enough, and I'm not saying he is a terrible coach in all regards. Obviously he has been employed for quite awhile. I know I'm being picky. I'm just salty. The SEC has some of the best coaches in the country. We have to upgrade our staff if we truly want to recruit, develop players, and play like the elite teams are in today's game. I want us to go after the best of the best. In my opinion, hires like this and our current staff just continue to put us at a disadvantage in the SEC. We have been losing in the SEC East while it has been down. We need to bring our staff up to par with the rest of the SEC and country.

However, I'm not paid millions of dollars to make these decisions. Scott and Canales could turn out to be great additions if they happen. I just do not believe we have the luxury of taking chances on these hires. I'd like someone to have a proven track record with successful experience. It'd bring new ideas to our offense and create instant credibility with recruits.

I agree but I believe it is a salary issue. Bang for the buck. Butch is probably as bummed as you.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back