Canales coming for second interview

Coach Mike Canales‏ @coachcanales

"See Something, Believe in it and Go Get It!" - Inky Johnson

The man quoted Inky on his Twitter and got 37 likes. He's in

Can't speak for anyone else but I seldom actually get worked up talking UT football on here. It's a diversion for me, nothing more.

We are in a lull with currently so there isn't much else to discuss though.

I don't know anymore than you do either, just don't see anything on his resume that makes me feel like we can expect to see Guarantano develop into a first round pick under him. Not saying it can't happen but it seems like there would be better options available.

"Better" is believable. "Option" is where I'm not as certain. The entire AD seems to be in a weird limbo right now, not great for negotiating contracts. Wish the top was in place before coach hiring season.

Reactions: 1 person
I have friends who dont have a filter when they drink

Ive tried to run interference too many times

The bright side is they usually hang out with a good looking one

Win!

"I have this friend. It's not for me"

I got your back, count.

Dooley was a complete bust as a head coach, but even he could attract Power 5 quality coaches. We are at the MAC or OVC level now.

People discount how difficult it is to make an established OC/QB hire while not having an AD. Don't blame Butch for this because he has his hands tied right now. Made a good Strength and Conditiong hire, and I think that was the main issue last season. Hard to make a great OC hire without an AD, so I see him promoting Scott and hiring Canales as QB coach as playing it safe.

Reactions: 2 people
People discount how difficult it is to make an established OC/QB hire while not having an AD. Don't blame Butch for this because he has his hands tied right now. Made a good Strength and Conditiong hire, and I think that was the main issue last season. Hard to make a great OC hire without an AD, so I see him promoting Scott and hiring Canales as QB coach as playing it safe.

Yeah I'm not buying the whole AD thing being a big obstacle. CBJ is just set in his ways. If a high quality OC wanted to come to UT and it would take the program in the right direction UT would find a way to make it happen

Promoting Scott to OC and giving Canales the QB Coach position wouldn't be the worst case scenario without an AD in position. Scott would gain a stronger hold on South Florida in recruiting as well.

This would be a great hire at QB coach, he also coaches mutiple position, sat as an associate head coach and interim, knows how to call plays and has coached alotbof football

The Tennessee Steps To Filling A Coaching Position

1. Announce vacant position.
2. Determine the top most qualified people for the position.
3. Leak rumors of reaching out to these people.
4. Claim to be taking time to look for right "fit".
5. During this time top candidates get hired by other programs.
6. Hire candidate that is unproven at this level.
7. Sell the new hire as the hottest up and coming thing in football.
8. If no one buys the #7 argument, use the "Who would you have hired? No one else was available." argument instead.

Reactions: 4 people

8. If no one buys the #7 argument, use the "Who would you have hired? No one else was available." argument instead.

Sums up Shoop and Scott pretty much. :)

Reactions: 3 people

This X1,000,000,000

That's just not true. Not having an AD isn't the issue.

That's just not true. Not having an AD isn't the issue.

How do you know this?

All I ever read here is people quoting the VN belief that Butch is stubborn and won't delegate. It's repeated over and over and over, so after a while people think it must be true.

Reactions: 3 people

LoL. Sad, but true

Well crap you don't like the hire? I guess we better start over the hiring process then.

True, they went away from the plan with Shoop.
After seeing the results this year, they will get back to the plan and cling to it religiously.

Hard to study a "plan" that hasn't been tested that many times. In four seasons the OC, DC and TE's coach have been replaced...two of them didn't follow your "plan". :wink2:

VN Store

Back