Can we take down the Creighton Gang?

0% chance we go 2 bigs in this one. We’d get run out of the building. Only one big needed for Kalkbrenner, the rest of their guys sprint around the perimeter and let it fly. Their 3/4 guards have some length to them (6’7” and 6’9”) but they don’t play in the paint. They’re shooters.
At first thought, I agreed that you were spot on with this assesment nodding in agreement. However, I think Aidoo can run with their slowest forward or guard with those long legs. Awaka can definitely keep up with Kalkbrenner. If so, they don't run UT out of the gym! Two bigs could give UT a big rebounding advantage as long as they box out correctly and move like they are on fire!

Reactions: spyfish007
We really need big minutes from Mashack and Gainey to stop their 3 pt onslaught.
Hopefully Santi can bust up some of their screens.

Unless JJJ can offer solid point production, Mashack needs some of his minutes in this one.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about a title. We've got a very tough game against Creighton. If we win it, which we could, we'd have
an even tougher matchup against 1 seed Purdue, probably. if we were to be good enough to win that game, against the odds, we'd
have to beat two more very good teams to raise the trophy. That's big ask for a team that shot 12 percent from the 3 line in the last game.
I expect us to shoot better against Creighton, and we'd better as the Blue Jays are better than texas.
I think Gonzaga takes down Purdue. Few will outcoach Painter.

I heard Coach Barnes on radio this morning when it was suggested to have that conversation with Coach English. CRB said something to effect CKE has his players and his style and so what works for them but we have different players. He also did acknowledge they watch those games but also the ones like Creighton dismantling UCONN. There are loads of games to pick apart Creightons identity. His answer satisfied me.
If Barnes doesn't reach out to English about his three games vs. Creighton is not smart. With English being a former assistant and maybe a replacement for Barnes at Tennessee in the future I feel the two discussed Creighton.

Reactions: CedarHillVol
If Barnes doesn't reach out to English about his three games vs. Creighton is not smart. With English being a former assistant and maybe a replacement for Barnes at Tennessee in the future I feel the two discussed Creighton.
I imagine he has but coaches dont typically want to be public about that so as to seem like alliances are being formed or as though a coach is going to out a conference rival gives bad blood going forward. In fact in Bruce Pearls first year here before the NCAA tournament first round Tennessee got slotted as a 2 vs Winthrop a 15 he was asked if he would reach out to Tennessee previous coach since Coastal Carolina beat them twice and the conference tournament came down to the wire. Pearl mentioned that he would love to pick Buzz Peterson brain about it but in coaching circles there is like an unwritten rule to not put the coach in a difficult position.

Do I think it happens of course but they likely dont discuss it publicly.

I doubt that it’s that big of a deal other than for CRB to have an opportunity to build his relationship with CKE and would assume that Barnes touches base with KE regularly anyway. Barnes has the videos of everything that English threw at Creighton. Nothing happened in those games that TN’s staff doesn’t fully understand already. English could share their scouting of Creighton and save UT some time while preparing their own scout but English might have a good relationship with the Creighton coach or staff and might not want to do that.

English was only here 2 seasons. I don’t know if he favors TN as a next step. He’s in a pretty decent situation where he’s at right now.

My gut feeling (which I dearly hope is wrong) is that we come out flat against them (while not being able to hit the broad side of a barn while standing 2 feet from it).....And losing in this game. I see this as our last game and I really hope I am wrong. It just depends on what team shows up and if the team is playing together and to win.

Reactions: 207 others
Agree. I’m concerned Aidoo will be passive or get into foul trouble. Creighton’s bjg guy is tall but not bulky, so Aidoo shouldn’t get pushed around. Awaka is giving up five inches but he can go around their big man or make one pump fake and get to the foul line.
Awaka better stay out of foul trouble.

Reactions: vol94
I doubt that it’s that big of a deal other than for CRB to have an opportunity to build his relationship with CKE and would assume that Barnes touches base with KE regularly anyway. Barnes has the videos of everything that English threw at Creighton. Nothing happened in those games that TN’s staff doesn’t fully understand already. English could share their scouting of Creighton and save UT some time while preparing their own scout but English might have a good relationship with the Creighton coach or staff and might not want to do that.

English was only here 2 seasons. I don’t know if he favors TN as a next step. He’s in a pretty decent situation where he’s at right now.
Last sentence is what I have read or heard from others. Not saying it is the true. If I am barnes I am talking to English as his team has beaten Creighton twice this year. I know they have different personnel compared to Tenn's but I hope someone from Tenn staff has contacted English as they have done their scout on Creighton.

I'm counting on our Regressing to the Mean; 34.2% from 3 and 44.4 from the floor! In statistics, regression toward the mean (also called reversion to the mean, and reversion to mediocrity) is the phenomenon where if one sample of a random variable (shooting %) is extreme, the next sampling of the same random variable is likely to be closer to its mean. Math will win us this one! lol GBO
The law of averages definitely points back upwards towards the mean from last weekend. They can win this game if they can just shoot their average.

This is a Jahmai Mashack shut down defense type of game. We need him on Baylor Scheierman like flies on poop.

I do think our fans are overhyping Creightons scoring a tad bit though... They are good at scoring the ball and are 31st in ppg at 80.6 ppg. But we're at 50th at 79.1 ppg.

They aren't Bama (1st), UK (2nd), Florida (6th), and Illinois (9th)... who we all beat and are in the top 10.

Florida 85.6 ppg - we held them to 66.

Bama 90.7 ppg - played them twice and they averaged 72.5 ppg.

Illinois 84.6 ppg - held them to 79 points.

Our fans are really underestimating how good our defense really is. We're 2nd in FG Percentage Defenese, right behind Houston.

Vols defense is very physical and should push Creighton out of their comfortable sets, shots should be contested. If Creighton gets in foul trouble, they do not have a deep bench at all. Tennessee has to hit shots, Creighton will be one of the best offensive teams they will play all season.

Lets face it, we have had 3 times more big games this season than Creighton. We started the season with tough opponents (including MSU) Maui Classic, the SEC is no slouch at all, and the finish of the regular season 7 of 10 Tournament teams. Battle tested

I am hopeful. I think the shooting woes against Texas will have them focused on making their shots. I suspect they have spent extra time on it. Should be a good game, but it can certainly go either way, with some streaks. Whoever gets hot late will win.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
We can definitely win but I have 0 expectations and honestly worried about this one. Probably my BVS talking but I’m prepared to get hurt again. I’ve seen this song and dance too many times before.
that's exactly how I feel - we are just so inconsistent

hoping for the best, we can do it... but I'm not putting money on it

This is the part that worries me the most. When the other team has a decent sized defender in the paint, Aidoo stops going to the hole and we resort to chuckin 3s. Then it's up to whether we're hot or cold shooting. Their 7'1" guy is 270 pounds. That's 30 more than Aidoo. I'm nervous. I feel good about this one but not overly confident.
It seems like when we talk about 6'11" and 7'1", 30 pounds would be equivalent to 10 or 15 pounds for someone 6', which isn't that much. Or is that not the case?

Reactions: spyfish007
At first thought, I agreed that you were spot on with this assesment nodding in agreement. However, I think Aidoo can run with their slowest forward or guard with those long legs. Awaka can definitely keep up with Kalkbrenner. If so, they don't run UT out of the gym! Two bigs could give UT a big rebounding advantage as long as they box out correctly and move like they are on fire!
I mean I’m not saying that he isn’t capable of possibly staying with Miller but that matchup won’t happen. It’s not something you test out. Aidoo will be on Kalkbrenner and Awaka will be on Kalkbrenner when he is in. The only time I could possibly see 2 posts being in the game is when Kalkbrenner and Green are in the game at the same time but I still doubt that happens. Creighton just isn’t the style of team you defend with 2 post players.

VN Store

Back