Can we take down the Creighton Gang?

Certainly capable if they can manage to match the shooting percentage for the season and not this past game. Creighton has a center who is over 7 foot I think and has a decent shot. Have to contain him as well. Fingers crossed that our guys down low can start finishing strong too.
Agree. I’m concerned Aidoo will be passive or get into foul trouble. Creighton’s bjg guy is tall but not bulky, so Aidoo shouldn’t get pushed around. Awaka is giving up five inches but he can go around their big man or make one pump fake and get to the foul line.

I feel pretty good about this one. For some reason, I would've felt worse about Oregon. I think losing to teams like FAU and Loyola Chicago in the past did me in. You feel like the bracket opens up with lower seeds winning, and then BAM—you're gone.
We have certainly had the FF dropped in our laps twice only to blow it. It should be a looong time before Vols ever complain @ a bracket after being handed those two gifts! Let's try the normal route this time.

I think it will come down to the last minute if the game, possibly the last possession.

Hopefully we are the last team standing this time around.
If it goes down to the last minute, I will die. If they win, I’ll die happy. If they lose, I’ll get to escape the heartbreak. I’m at peace with it.

All boils down to how we shoot the ball IMO. It’s somewhat of a miracle we beat Texas with such a poor shooting performance. Do that against Creighton and the tourney will be over for TN.
If we play D against Creighton like we did against TX, the tourney will be over for Creighton.

This. I’m 52 yrs old and crave a TN championship in football and/or basketball. We had the talent with Grant, Admiral, Bone, etc. but came up short. I have a feeling the window is closing and this will be our best opportunity to make a deep run.

I’m embarrassed to say that I was yelling at the TV during the Texas game and thought for sure we’d give the game away. I’m hopeful we will prevail but can’t help thinking that we will get knocked off Friday or Sunday. Hope not!

I’m with you, buddy. Difference this season is that we seem to have the offense in one player that we didn’t quite have with Grant, et al. That offense is Knecht. Another possible difference is that we seem to have a bit more depth with this team…people who can come off the bench and put points on the board. Major worry for me is that when Creighton doubles and triples on Knecht and neutralizes him, who do we have that will step up and score? James? Vescovi? Gainey? Mashack? If we can get points out of those four that exceeds their individual season averages (and I don’t know what they are), then we should win. If we depend mostly on Knecht, we lose.

Forgive me for being an oracle of the obvious.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about a title. We've got a very tough game against Creighton. If we win it, which we could, we'd have
an even tougher matchup against 1 seed Purdue, probably. if we were to be good enough to win that game, against the odds, we'd
have to beat two more very good teams to raise the trophy. That's big ask for a team that shot 12 percent from the 3 line in the last game.
I expect us to shoot better against Creighton, and we'd better as the Blue Jays are better than texas.

They are going to have to shoot a lot better than 12% from 3 and 33% from the floor to have a chance. No way they can shoot that historically horrible two games in a row and expect to win.
I'm counting on our Regressing to the Mean; 34.2% from 3 and 44.4 from the floor! In statistics, regression toward the mean (also called reversion to the mean, and reversion to mediocrity) is the phenomenon where if one sample of a random variable (shooting %) is extreme, the next sampling of the same random variable is likely to be closer to its mean. Math will win us this one! lol GBO

Really think they'll struggle against our defensive pressure. it'll be close but 4 guys beside DK shoot half way decent and we can advance.

Reactions: BradstarVols
I think it will come down to the last minute of the game, possibly the last possession.

Hopefully we are the last team standing this time around.
One or two shots that fall or don’t fall and a couple of turnovers. Thin margins.

Reactions: vol94
It's all about who can dictate their style. An offense that can go bananas and a defense that can make life miserable. Creighton, UConn, and Houston was the three teams I didn't want Tennessee to play. They can just shoot like crazy from anywhere on the floor. I hope it's the best defense we've ever played and that's saying a lot because the defense is so solid

Certainly capable if they can manage to match the shooting percentage for the season and not this past game. Creighton has a center who is over 7 foot I think and has a decent shot. Have to contain him as well. Fingers crossed that our guys down low can start finishing strong too.
Aidoo will have trouble with him and Awaka will surely be able to lean on him, but will foul out in the process. I'm thinking we might want to try the 2 bigs again.

We get it done. Vols shoot better and play great defense again. Aidoo plays better and Awaka plays great again but stays out of foul trouble. JJJ and Santi play better and DK has a quiet 22 pts. We get it done folks. Go Big Orange!!

Agree. I’m concerned Aidoo will be passive or get into foul trouble. Creighton’s bjg guy is tall but not bulky, so Aidoo shouldn’t get pushed around. Awaka is giving up five inches but he can go around their big man or make one pump fake and get to the foul line.
This is the part that worries me the most. When the other team has a decent sized defender in the paint, Aidoo stops going to the hole and we resort to chuckin 3s. Then it's up to whether we're hot or cold shooting. Their 7'1" guy is 270 pounds. That's 30 more than Aidoo. I'm nervous. I feel good about this one but not overly confident.

I feel good about our chances.

Especially if we have more points when the game ends.
The way the we’ve been going, I could see us being the first team in turned history to win a game with less points than the other team. These guys are making all kinds of history, let’s not assume they need more points. They find new ways to win.

We are capable of beating Creighton, but it will take a strong performance. Can’t go 3-25 from three point land again and expect to beat them.

Aidoo will have trouble with him and Awaka will surely be able to lean on him, but will foul out in the process. I'm thinking we might want to try the 2 bigs again.
0% chance we go 2 bigs in this one. We’d get run out of the building. Only one big needed for Kalkbrenner, the rest of their guys sprint around the perimeter and let it fly. Their 3/4 guards have some length to them (6’7” and 6’9”) but they don’t play in the paint. They’re shooters.

VN Store

Back