Cal, Auburn, and Vols all in NIT?

Were you at that game? If not, that means you aren't a true fan either.
Well, let's ask a little question and see what the response is. 6 straight NCAA appearances by UT were followed by an NIT bid in 2013. A very good Mercer team came to TBA. They had finished 2nd in the Atlantic Sun behind Florida Gulf Coast (Dunk City) which went to the Sweet 16. This was truly an embarrassing loss for Tennessee basketball but not nearly as embarrassing as an empty arena. Do you know how Donnie Tyndall is always preaching how important the fans are. Do you think the 2013 Vols were a little demoralized because they were abandoned by the fans and ran out into an empty arena with 4000 at a home game instead of 20,000? The fans cost them that game before the first tip. They lost by 8. 20,000 would most likely have created a win and another home game. By the way, guess who they played last year in the NCAA tournament.
Here's the question. How many of you that are close enough to attend would go to watch our current team play a home game in the National Invitation Tournament? I know I would! I'll take no response as one of those 16000 who didn't bother in 2013.

Well, let's ask a little question and see what the response is. 6 straight NCAA appearances by UT were followed by an NIT bid in 2013. A very good Mercer team came to TBA. They had finished 2nd in the Atlantic Sun behind Florida Gulf Coast (Dunk City) which went to the Sweet 16. This was truly an embarrassing loss for Tennessee basketball but not nearly as embarrassing as an empty arena. Do you know how Donnie Tyndall is always preaching how important the fans are. Do you think the 2013 Vols were a little demoralized because they were abandoned by the fans and ran out into an empty arena with 4000 at a home game instead of 20,000? The fans cost them that game before the first tip. They lost by 8. 20,000 would most likely have created a win and another home game. By the way, guess who they played last year in the NCAA tournament.
Here's the question. How many of you that are close enough to attend would go to watch our current team play a home game in the National Invitation Tournament? I know I would! I'll take no response as one of those 16000 who didn't bother in 2013.

So you weren't at the game, then?

Reactions: 2 people
You didn't answer the question SD....
Thank you for your service and your contributions to this forum. I don't even need to ask you. I know you would be here if your were back in the states even if you lived in California. PS. Interesting that "This We'll Defend" is the motto on the US Army drill sergeant badge.

Thank you for your service and your contributions to this forum. I don't even need to ask you. I know you would be here if your were back in the states even if you lived in California. PS. Interesting that "This We'll Defend" is the motto on the US Army drill sergeant badge.

Well seeing as how I was a DS it makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person
Hypocrite
You know, you make some of the silliest comments. I live in Bristol, you live in Kingsport. Do you go to all Tennessee basketball games? Hell, have you ever been to a Tennessee basketball game. People have lives. Evidently you don't. Tired of your constant nonsense.

I was. Don't you live in Bristol? That's not too far to get there for a retired fella with nothing to do but work at Bass Pro.
You know this is classic political strategy. See it every day. When you don't like the message, attack the messenger. I think it is pathetic that there were 4000 fans at the Mercer game. It is the same people who would rather see UT lose to Podunk College in the Big Dance than win an NIT championship. I include you in that group. After all, you had to make a poll to prove your point that most UT basketball fans are just "fair weather fans".

You know, you make some of the silliest comments. I live in Bristol, you live in Kingsport. Do you go to all Tennessee basketball games? Hell, have you ever been to a Tennessee basketball game. People have lives. Evidently you don't. Tired of your constant nonsense.

I guarantee I've been to more games than you. I was a student from 89-91. I also went to 3-5 games a year until a few years ago.

I sure as hell wouldn't call people out for not going if I wasn't going myself.

You know this is classic political strategy. See it every day. When you don't like the message, attack the messenger. I think it is pathetic that there were 4000 fans at the Mercer game.

Let me help you out here, SD. You said the following.

Personally I think it's pathetic when the fans abandon them if they don't get in the NCAA tournament. Those are not true fans!!!! And that means all of you.

I turned your own logic against you by asking if you were at the game. Which, by your own admission, you were not at the game where you said people who did not attend were not true fans. I was at that game. The fans and players were completely disinterested. You then said to Yankee Vol the following.

I don't even need to ask you. I know you would be here if your were back in the states even if you lived in California.

So why is it that you would expect another Drill Sergeant to be at the game even if he was in California, yet you wouldn't find a way to be at said game even though you were 2 hours away?

As far as my poll is concerned, I'm a numbers guy. I majored in math and have studied logic my entire life. You were making statements that were backed purely by your opinion so I made a poll and generated data that backed mine and disproved your opinion. You view it as attacking the messenger. I don't see it that way. I think you make ridiculous statements (also called opinions) and present them as fact even when there is data that goes against your opinion.

Maybe you need to answer your own question. My answer to the question is yes, I would go support them and I have done it before.
How many of you that are close enough to attend would go to watch our current team play a home game in the National Invitation Tournament?
Of course, now we all know your answer would be no. You were close enough to attend the game and support them in the NIT and did not. You were part of the 16,000. Can't wait to see how you spin this next.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Let me help you out here, SD. You said the following.

I turned your own logic against you by asking if you were at the game. Which, by your own admission, you were not at the game where you said people who did not attend were not true fans. I was at that game. The fans and players were completely disinterested. You then said to Yankee Vol the following.

So why is it that you would expect another Drill Sergeant to be at the game even if he was in California, yet you wouldn't find a way to be at said game even though you were 2 hours away?

As far as my poll is concerned, I'm a numbers guy. I majored in math and have studied logic my entire life. You were making statements that were backed purely by your opinion so I made a poll and generated data that backed mine and disproved your opinion. You view it as attacking the messenger. I don't see it that way. I think you make ridiculous statements (also called opinions) and present them as fact even when there is data that goes against your opinion.

Maybe you need to answer your own question. My answer to the question is yes, I would go support them and I have done it before.

Of course, now we all know your answer would be no. You were close enough to attend the game and support them in the NIT and did not. You were part of the 16,000. Can't wait to see how you spin this next.

Boom!

Attachments

• boom_display.jpg
    boom_display.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
I was. Don't you live in Bristol? That's not too far to get there for a retired fella with nothing to do but work at Bass Pro.
Would bet good money you can't describe the scenario at the NIT Mercer game in a lengthy diatribe like your last post. Then I might believe you were actually there. Wanna give it a try. Didn't think so!

It's South Freaking Carolina. How many times are those NIT championships going to be cited? That's probably about the pinnacle of their program. I'd like to see an in depth analysis of the rosters of all of the teams that had successful runs in the NIT and where they went from there. I would suspect that USCe had a lot of their minutes graduate or leave right after that second NIT championship.

Edit: Renaldo Balkman was taken in the first round of the 2006 NBA draft immediately after USCe won their second NIT Championship.

You're making this way too hard.

I'm saying there is no provable correlation that winning the NIT means you will make the NCAAT the next year; it's roughly a 50/50 coin flip.

You can't point out OSU is an example of a correlation then ignore South Carolina and Minnesota.

Not to mention OSU had gone to the NCAAT the 2 years previous to them winning the NIT, including losing the NC game to Florida the year before. So I don't see their NIT win as much as some momentum builder as it was actually a step back.

Last edited:

You seriously don't handle be called out very well.

So it's embarrassing that Vol fans wouldn't go to an NIT game; except for you, then it's cool.

Would bet good money you can't describe the scenario at the NIT Mercer game in a lengthy diatribe like your last post. Then I might believe you were actually there. Wanna give it a try. Didn't think so!

You're a funny guy, SD. I don't have to prove anything to you. I already put your last couple of posts through a shredder. It appears you only like well put together posts when they aren't tearing your arguments apart piece by piece.

Reactions: 3 people
You're a funny guy, SD. I don't have to prove anything to you. I already put your last couple of posts through a shredder. It appears you only like well put together posts when they aren't tearing your arguments apart piece by piece.
Just like I thought. You said you were there just to criticize me. Looks like you'd learn you'll never win these battles. Now you are called out for not being one of the 4000 even though you claim to be. Sad. Seems like the only way you can attack my argument is to say you were there. Otherwise, everything you say has zero significance, doesn't it?

Just like I thought. You said you were there just to criticize me. Looks like you'd learn you'll never win these battles. Now you are called out for not being one of the 4000 even though you claim to be. Sad. Seems like the only way you can attack my argument is to say you were there. Otherwise, everything you say has zero significance, doesn't it?

I'm confused why you think I wasn't there? What situation are you wanting me to explain? We got beat. There were no fans there. The players did not care. I've tried to forget about it every day since then. It was embarrassing. Not much else to say really.

I'm not attacking you personally. I'm attacking the contradiction in your argument.

Last edited:
You're making this way too hard.

I'm saying there is no provable correlation that winning the NIT means you will make the NCAAT the next year; it's roughly a 50/50 coin flip.

You can't point out OSU is an example of a correlation then ignore South Carolina and Minnesota.

Not to mention OSU had gone to the NCAAT the 2 years previous to them winning the NIT, including losing the NC game to Florida the year before. So I don't see their NIT win as much as some momentum builder as it was actually a step back.

I believe that there is a positive correlation between a young team winning NIT games and then having future success. 100% of them won't have it though.

Nearly two-thirds of all teams don't go to any post season tournament. Learning to win, especially tournaments, starts somewhere.

I'm confused why you think I wasn't there? What situation are you wanting me to explain? We got beat. There were no fans there. The players did not care. Not much else to say really. I'm not attacking you personally. I'm attacking the contradiction in your argument.
I asked for a description of the scene which you apparently are unable to give since someone who was there might contradict you. As for your lengthy post which you had no trouble composing since it was criticizing me, here are your responses.
On point number 1, if you were there, were you thinking it is pathetic that no more fans than this showed up?

On point number 2, being in Afghanistan and being and as active as he is in this forum, do you not think this fellow drill sergeant would go through hell and high water to see a game in person?

On point number 3, what your poll (actually my poll) proved was that 90% of Tennessee fans are totally apathetic to the NIT. That was a total surprise to me. But with only 4000 at the first round game should have clued me in on that. That is totally illogical.

On point number 4, I am going to see them play Kentucky and contrary to most, I think they can pull the upset!

I believe that there is a positive correlation between a young team winning NIT games and then having future success. 100% of them won't have it though.

Nearly two-thirds of all teams don't go to any post season tournament. Learning to win, especially tournaments, starts somewhere.

I'm picking up what you're laying down.

VN Store

Back