Cal, Auburn, and Vols all in NIT?

Personally I think it's pathetic when the fans abandon them if they don't get in the NCAA tournament. Those are not true fans!!!! And that means all of you.

I abandoned them long ago when they turned their back on Pearl nothing to do with NIT bids.

Reactions: 1 person
Personally I think it's pathetic when the fans abandon them if they don't get in the NCAA tournament. Those are not true fans!!!! And that means all of you.

Then I guess there are only a relative handful of "true fans" then.

So congrats, you being a "true fan" and $1 will get you a cup of coffee.

I don't agree with SD that winning the NIT would mean more to this team as far as accomplishments, but the extra work could mean more developmentally for the team.

The 2013 NIT was a totally different scenario. TN was much closer to the NCAAT that year and had been to the NCAAT the previous six years.

UCLA doesn't need to hang an NIT banner when they have more NCs than EVERY other college team and also owns 4 of the 7 perfect, undefeated seasons. I haven't looked it up, but the NIT used to be more prestigious than the NCAAT and I doubt that any of UCLA's NCs are from that era. If they were I bet they'd hang NIT championship banners too.

I don't agree with SD that winning the NIT would mean more to this team as far as accomplishments, but the extra work could mean more developmentally for the team.

The 2013 NIT was a totally different scenario. TN was much closer to the NCAAT that year and had been to the NCAAT the previous six years.

UCLA doesn't need to hang an NIT banner when they have more NCs than EVERY other college team and also owns 4 of the 7 perfect, undefeated seasons. I haven't looked it up, but the NIT used to be more prestigious than the NCAAT and I doubt that any of UCLA's NCs are from that era. If they were I bet they'd hang NIT championship banners too.

The only reason the NIT was "more prestigious" was because the NCAAT used to so small a lot of good teams were left out. But it was also like 50-60 years ago.

I guess I can buy the extra practice/work but again, there doesn't seem to be any solid correlation between that and future success.

The only reason the NIT was "more prestigious" was because the NCAAT used to so small a lot of good teams were left out. But it was also like 50-60 years ago.

I guess I can buy the extra practice/work but again, there doesn't seem to be any solid correlation between that and future success.

I cited the NIT's past prestige in relation to why UCLA may or may not hang those banners. If they've only had recent NIT success then they get more mileage out of promoting that they are above hanging NIT banners. I bet all other NIT champions are hanging banners.

Wichita State is an example of building on NIT success. Teams that are loaded with seniors getting most of the playing time won't gain a lot of mileage out of winning in the NIT. Teams that play a lot of new guys would benefit tremendously.

Ohio State has built on their NIT championship. They've been in the NCAAT every year since, including an Elite Eight, a Final Four, and a couple more Sweet Sixteens.

1985 is the only time that UCLA has played in an NIT championship game.

Ohio State has built on their NIT championship. They've been in the NCAAT every year since, including an Elite Eight, a Final Four, and a couple more Sweet Sixteens.

The NIT has nothing to do with their success. Oden, Conely, Thomas , and Sullinger do.

Were you at that game? If not, that means you aren't a true fan either.

That was my entire point as to why I said there is no direct correlation as to an NIT championship and future success. For every team that did have future NCAAT success, another has no gain.

Case in point, South Carolina won 2 straight NIT championships and they've only had 1 winning season since. Minnesota won last year and probably won't make the NCAAT this year.

If Coach T had that team, they would have won the NIT in 2013 followed by the NCAA Championship in 2014.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Yea, there was so much interest in the NIT when we played Mercer as a 2 seed.

Attendance: 4,468

Mercer Bears vs. Tennessee Volunteers - Box Score - March 20, 2013 - ESPN

These guys get to do what they do because we find it entertaining. When they fail to provide a product that pleases the audience, the audience puts their time and money elsewhere.

I hope this team has the opportunity to provide fans with an escape from the daily grind for a few more games than expected this season.

That was my entire point as to why I said there is no direct correlation as to an NIT championship and future success. For every team that did have future NCAAT success, another has no gain.

Case in point, South Carolina won 2 straight NIT championships and they've only had 1 winning season since. Minnesota won last year and probably won't make the NCAAT this year.

It's South Freaking Carolina. How many times are those NIT championships going to be cited? That's probably about the pinnacle of their program. I'd like to see an in depth analysis of the rosters of all of the teams that had successful runs in the NIT and where they went from there. I would suspect that USCe had a lot of their minutes graduate or leave right after that second NIT championship.

Edit: Renaldo Balkman was taken in the first round of the 2006 NBA draft immediately after USCe won their second NIT Championship.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if I'm following you... but if you're comparing tOSU and UCLA my points were missed. I was addressing two separate earlier posts. I was following up that UCLA probably isn't going to hang the 1985 NIT banner next to their 10+ NC banners unless they had NIT championships from back when it was the more prestigious tournament (and the NIT champion was also the NC). They don't, 1985 is their only NIT championship or final, so why would they stick it up next to all of the NC banners?

Less than 40 years ago the NCAAT was only taking one team per conference. Certainly not 60 years ago.

On the second point, you're comparing two different things. ALL invitees get extra practice time... not just the one that wins the whole thing. There could be considerable positive correlation (closer to 1.0 v -1.0 or even v 0.0) between all of the first round NIT winners and future success (and excluding teams with senior dominated rosters and playing time).

VN Store

Back