Byrd switching to DB (per his Twitter)

The sad thing is we'll probably end up seeing how Tyler Byrd could of been breaking records at corner if he was there his whole career.

I'm excited for him.

Sadder would have been if he had spent his entire career at the wrong position. This is one of the decisions I voiced strong opposition to. Was always interested that posters who had already written Butch off defended his moves like this, overcautious handling of ST returners and the incorporation of the offset I into the offense.

The former coach sure did have a knack for not properly utilizing talent, huh?

This guy's family lives around the corner from me, have known them for years. Watched him grow into the man he is. The only thing I have wondered about for him as a tight end is quickness. He has the speed and the hands just not sure about quickness off the blocks. In high school he did play a lot of defense and played end with great smarts. He can and would be a force at defense end. A big thing with him, if he is asked to change, I think will be his attitude about the change, unless he goes against his "upbringing" and the way he conducted himself in his younger life, he will change and never miss a beat. Just an opinion from afar.

And considering TE looks to be a little crowded at this point. Bumphus had offers from all the big boys (including Pruitt and Bama), and on 247 it had him ranked #12 WDE out of HS in TN. I would think his upside at DE would be much higher since it seems Eli, Pope and Wood-Anderson will be ahead of him on the depth chart. Adding him to the group of Phillips, Kongbo, Johnson, Butler and Emerson would help immensely. Gives us a nice 3 deep since Taylor looks like he will move to fit the bill of an OLB in the 3-4.

Last edited:
And considering TE looks to be a little crowded at this point. Bumphus had offers from all the big boys (including Pruitt and Bama), and on 247 it had him ranked #12 WDE out of HS in TN. I would think his upside at DE would be much higher since it seems Eli, Pope and Wood-Anderson will be ahead of him on the depth chart. Adding him to the group of Phillips, Kongbo, Johnson, Butler and Emerson would help immensely. Gives us a nice 3 deep since Taylor looks like he will move to fit the bill of an OLB in the 3-4.

3-4 EDGE players OLB
D Taylor 6'4" 240
A Smith 6'3" 235
Allen 6'6" 240
D Bituli 6"3 240

ILB
Kirkland
Sapp
Blakely
Reid

Wildcard
Page
Kongbo
Peterson

3-4 EDGE players OLB
D Taylor 6'4" 240
A Smith 6'3" 235
Allen 6'6" 240
D Bituli 6"3 240

ILB
Kirkland
Sapp
Blakely
Reid

Wildcard
Page
Kongbo
Peterson

I was talking about DE, but yeah i agree with the above except i doubt Kongbo moves to LB. He’s not near as fast as Taylor is. Also curious as to whether Blakely moves back to LB. i would assume so since him carrying 260+ doesn’t suit him. Saw him on Broadway last year before the Music City Bowl. Not a very big frame.

3-4 EDGE players OLB
D Taylor 6'4" 240
A Smith 6'3" 235
Allen 6'6" 240
D Bituli 6"3 240

ILB
Kirkland
Sapp
Blakely
Reid
Ignont**

Wildcard
Page
Peterson

DE: Phillips-Emerson-D Johnson
NT: Tuttle-Crosby-Picou- A Johnson
DE: Kongbo-Butler-Bumphus?

-Obviously Lawless fits in there somewhere

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think you’re going to see these guys utilized in ways that we aren’t use to anymore, causing a tougher defense. Our defense could be a lot stronger this year than anticipated.:hi:

Considering we were dead last against the run and next to last in overall D, then we have a long road to hoe. Best to temper expectations until we see some results. Seems to me we were saying this same thing the last 2 years. Kind of like our OLine is finally going to be the best in conference this year.

I can appreciate a new coach and coaches making a difference, but let's wait and see. Please, hard times come again no more.

Just the thought of what a defensive mind like Pruitt can do with an athlete like Byrd. Oh my.

Just a thought of a coach that uses his mind....lol...he did what most of volnation scratched their head over for years....butch was a straight idiot in terms of a coach

Butch is not the blame for Tyler Byrd being at Wr that's what he chose when he got here because he wanted to play. That's Byrd fault.

What's he going to do? "No coach, I think I'll go against your wishes because I'd like to play DB." that'll accomplish nothing but put you in the doghouse.

What's he going to do? "No coach, I think I'll go against your wishes because I'd like to play DB." that'll accomplish nothing but put you in the doghouse.

He’s clueless. Guaranteed Butch would be back this season and said we’d NEVER hire a black coach, even tho we already have with Houston and Zo and tried to with Strong. He’s only here for his nephew so at most two years of him stepping in his own poop and trying to rub it on our walls. :)

nMMI4TT.gif

Reactions: 2 people
He’s clueless. Guaranteed Butch would be back this season and said we’d NEVER hire a black coach, even tho we already have with Houston and Zo and tried to with Strong. He’s only here for his nephew so at most two years of him stepping in his own poop and trying to rub it on our walls. :)

nMMI4TT.gif

:lolabove::post-4-1090547912:

I think moving Byrd to DB takes care of two things of need with this one move. First, it ads much needed help at corner and secondly, it frees up space for a top tier reciver to sign. I firmly believe this was done to send a message to recruit we’ve been targeting.

I think moving Byrd to DB takes care of two things of need with this one move. First, it ads much needed help at corner and secondly, it frees up space for a top tier reciver to sign. I firmly believe this was done to send a message to recruit we’ve been targeting.

It helps a little

But we need WRs regardless of where Byrd is.

nMMI4TT.gif

What was this guy going to do if he was successful at jumping on the board?

I really don't disagree with Butch putting Bird in the slot. He has the skillset to be a playmaker there but I think with Butch's offense and usage, it was damn near impossible to witness it.

But we need him at DB now and with Pruitt being a great DC, we'll see more of his versatility.

Why he was a AA in high school AT db, as thin as we were the last 2 years why would you waste his talent his first year was just learning the basic at WR, wasted 2 years of talent i guess thats why Butch is like me now days just watching football from the couch.:clapping:

VN Store

Back