Byrd switching to DB (per his Twitter)

so, it's official I guess...if so, then probably a good move if he's not going to really be involved in the slot game...heck, I'd still probably let him play a little slot...you know, keep him busy so he doesn't get bored...:)...

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
I remember people raving about Theo. I wonder if he'll crack the two deep? Also, it'll be interesting to see if Osborne, Labruzza, and Shamburger can develop.

I remember people raving about Theo. I wonder if he'll crack the two deep? Also, it'll be interesting to see if Osborne, Labruzza, and Shamburger can develop.

agreed. there's some talent there, and i think Shamburger has the best chance to see the field as a starter this year. he really flashed last season. made youngster mistakes too...but he had a few plays that stood out to me.

i would expect Labruzza, and Jackson to figure in rotationally as well.

i'm not sure about Osbourne? came in with some hype, but i honestly don't know where he stands...

Byrd and Warrior in the secondary will be huge. If we can add Griffin and Stuart we will have one of the best secondaries in the country.

Let's pump the brakes now. Next you will say we are going 10-2 next year.

Seen a lot speculation here but I've been waiting for something more 'official'... YES!

Butch is not the blame for Tyler Byrd being at Wr that's what he chose when he got here because he wanted to play. That's Byrd fault.

Butch is not the blame for Tyler Byrd being at Wr that's what he chose when he got here because he wanted to play. That's Byrd fault.

and we know this how? byrd hasn't exactly been shy about touting his defensive back skills since he's been here.

and it's not like he's been uber productive as a WR. he wasn't even getting a ton of snaps, much less targets.

Let's pump the brakes now. Next you will say we are going 10-2 next year.

No, actually I wouldn't. I would still say having 4 high school All Americans in the secondary would give us one of the best secondaries in the country. I know that is difficult for some to grasp.

Reactions: 2 people

That’s not true. Byrd was asked and agreed but his preference was always DB.

He didn't have to though he could've stayed at corner. That was the quickest way for him to get on the field

thats just not true. no way a kid that has talked about his skill set at DB as much as he has, would choose WR, if DB was up to him.

don't forget what position our former HC coached.

He didn't have to though he could've stayed at corner. That was the quickest way for him to get on the field

You originally said “CHOSE”. Doesn’t jibe.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/0ERKT54K4ks[/youtube]

I’ll be interested to see if Bumphus makes a switch too...he’s another one who’s ceiling is much, much higher on defense IMO

This guy's family lives around the corner from me, have known them for years. Watched him grow into the man he is. The only thing I have wondered about for him as a tight end is quickness. He has the speed and the hands just not sure about quickness off the blocks. In high school he did play a lot of defense and played end with great smarts. He can and would be a force at defense end. A big thing with him, if he is asked to change, I think will be his attitude about the change, unless he goes against his "upbringing" and the way he conducted himself in his younger life, he will change and never miss a beat. Just an opinion from afar.

Im calling it now....if he moves to DB he will be all SEC next year. I re-watched his highschool film...goodness this kid is a ball hawk and beast. How is the hell did Butch not want this kid to play DB. I cant decide which decision is worse, AK not starting or Byrd not playing DB. :confused:

Edited: Our secondary just got better. Can you imagine at corner

FS Todd Kelly Jr SS Nigel Warrior
Maleik Gray

CB1 Tyler Byrd
Nickle Shawn Shamburger
CB2 Olaijah Griffin
Baylon Buchanan
Cheyenne Labruzza

Last edited:
The sad thing is we'll probably end up seeing how Tyler Byrd could of been breaking records at corner if he was there his whole career.

I'm excited for him.

The problem was they put him at WR then he was never targeted it seemed. Odd use of skills by the former staff

VN Store

Back