Butch Jones too robotic?

CBJ is not an idiot, he knows all the axioms of football, but if change is needed to win a game, fake field goals, half-back passes etc...are not robotic.

Go Vols!

Robot Butch:

butch-jones-tennessee-volunteers.jpg

1391546776000-ButchJones.jpg

butch-scar.jpg

Yeah, dude's a real drone. Emotionless as HAL. :)

Reactions: 4 people
Originally Posted by Wylo View Post
You'd recognize that as you fit that description as well. :banghead2:

Originally Posted by butchna View Post
Speaking of "mothballs"...the old YOU comeback! :bash:

butchna :mega_shok: Wylo :question:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So he can only plan on doing more once he has a perfect team? Most coaches try to win with what they have. They go for it. They don't try to out field goal undermanned Florida teams.

so you use the low point of his career against him, guess what I bet he does too. Urban Meyer lost to a terrible VT team. I don't think Butch is at that level, crap happens. How does the miracle vs South Carolina rack up against Florida? we lost that game, and he pulled a victory out of no where. is he perfect, no, is he the long term solution, maybe, is he moving in the right direction, YES.

Reactions: 2 people
I think he does use a lot of coach speak but where it differs than the guy commenting is that he is trying to revive a fallen program. How do you sell it to kids and fans that they should believe in a program that has fallen to shambles? He has to make cliche slogans and catchy things. He's building an atmosphere and a culture here. I consider him a marketing genius and a hell of a salesman. He inherited terrible defense and a subpar offense. If he doesn't produce in the next two years barring injuries then we can make the claim that he is all coach talk.

Reactions: 4 people
Butch can use all the cliches he wants, if it results in top recruiting classes and wins. (Although it does get a little annoying when he uses the same catch phrases)

so you use the low point of his career against him, guess what I bet he does too. Urban Meyer lost to a terrible VT team. I don't think Butch is at that level, crap happens. How does the miracle vs South Carolina rack up against Florida? we lost that game, and he pulled a victory out of no where. is he perfect, no, is he the long term solution, maybe, is he moving in the right direction, YES.

Definitely moving in the right direction. But you can't take away the low point and I can't take away the high point. I certainly hope he's learned to go for it this season. Don't hold back. Crush everyone. He flip flops between ultra conservative and hyper aggressive. It isn't a fault. I hope he robots his arse to the SEC title game.

Reactions: 1 person
How many other SEC programs would trade their present HC for Butch Jones right now?

Probably more than most people outside the conference think.

They're right. I would much rather have a mouthy HC like Lane Kiffin who steps on his nuts every time he's in front of a mic than someone who is robotic like Butch. He should be fired.

(Blue font)

How many other SEC programs would trade their present HC for Butch Jones right now?

That's a really interesting question, PC Jr. Really interesting. Right now, I'm thinking:
  • Vandy for sure ...
  • Kentucky wavering (the name "Stoops still has mystic power) ...
  • A&M wondering (Sumlin's good, but the price tag is higher than the delivery lately) ...
  • USCe bitter (they know the ole ball coach is on last legs, and are very worried about whether they can get another anywhere near his caliber) ...
  • Arky in denial (they think BB's record at Wisconsin in the very weak B10 offsets his dismal 2-14 start in the SEC, but some are beginning to have doubts....) ...
  • Florida in a spin (never been this bad before in the living memory of most Gator fans, and they are frantically hoping that McElwain pans out...but they're really nervous about it) ...
So only one of those six teams' fan bases would take Butch today...but all of them will potentially be wishing they had Butch a year from now.

On the other end, these fan bases are nowhere near coveting our Butchomania (yet):
  • Alabama in worship mode (hoping they have the Second Coming of Bear Bryant in Nick Saban) ...
  • Auburn in delirium (Malzahn is like buying a DeLoran, it's unconventional as hell, but exciting and fast nonetheless) ...
  • Ole Miss & Miss St in Eden (they never been here before, it feels too good to stop and ponder, for now) ...
  • Georgia constipated (can't see a way to win it all with him, can't see a way to give him up without risking the "Fulmer effect") ...
  • Mizzou proud (showed them bastiches of the SEC they're not an afterthought of expansion the past two years, not giving up Mr. Pinkel for anything) ...
  • LSU bemused (they get too much fun out of Les's impromptu speeches to worry about replacing him) ...

So I'd say just 1 of the 13 now, but it'll grow to about 50/50 if 2015 is our breakout year. :good!:

Last edited:

Let's do the math

Not Bama
Not Georgia
Not Mizzou
Not Texas A&M
Not LSU
Not Ole Miss
Not Miss State
Not Auburn
Not Arky

Probably

Vandy

Maybe

Kentucky
USCe
Florida

Not as many as I think you think.

But I wouldn't want about half of those coaches either. Maybe more. Maybe 4 that are worth having.

For the record I like coach, but his interviews are kinda hard to listen to at times. It is a bunch of cliches and he really never answers the questions. BUT all that doesnt matter if he continues to recruit and starts winning

I wanted to get VNs opinion on something. I live in Arkansas and as such, I listen to the hog slanted sports radio here in Little Rock. One of the recruiting guys who covers the Razorbacks said that he hasn't bought into Butch Jones yet because he said he was too "robotic". He went on to say that yes, he recruits at an extremely high level but that he is a "cliche machine" and "the biggest coach speak guy in the SEC" and that his "brick by brick" mantra is as cliche as it gets.

Butch seems to be a pretty conservative coach by nature and one of the guys said he might be too inflexible as far as in game coaching and that hurts him. So what do you guys think? Accurate? Denial? Some of both? I'll hang up and listen.

The main thing I agree with is that so far he does seem to be a bit to conservative. I think that will change though because of the teams overall talent. There's some times in games for instance the USCjr game where he ran dobbs up the middle on some 3rd and 5s or something like that. And of course didn't convert and SC goes on to score. Instances like that I don't understand

I care about what the outside opinion of our coaches and program is and Arkansas is a nice gauge because by and large, we are pretty low on each others hate lists.

I don't hate Arkansas.. they made it possible for us to go all the way in 98..:thumbsup:

I honestly think the past couple of years Butch has been limited because of talent. The talent is there now, and these next two years we'll see him take advantage of it.

I wanted to get VNs opinion on something. I live in Arkansas and as such, I listen to the hog slanted sports radio here in Little Rock. One of the recruiting guys who covers the Razorbacks said that he hasn't bought into Butch Jones yet because he said he was too "robotic". He went on to say that yes, he recruits at an extremely high level but that he is a "cliche machine" and "the biggest coach speak guy in the SEC" and that his "brick by brick" mantra is as cliche as it gets.

Butch seems to be a pretty conservative coach by nature and one of the guys said he might be too inflexible as far as in game coaching and that hurts him. So what do you guys think? Accurate? Denial? Some of both? I'll hang up and listen.

There's a lot of truth in this. Butch does recruit at an extremely high level, is big on cliches, loves coachspeak and has been pretty conservative. He wants things done how he's always done them-- as hiring DeBord clearly shows.

But it's only negative if it doesn't work. And so far, it has.

VN Store

Back