Butch Jones rumored to be in Tuscaloosa

I imagine he could be great in a role as an assistant. This seems like exactly the type of move Saban would make though. An ex head coach who sucked as a head but excels at an aspect of coaching. Put him on the staff and let him do what he knows best.

I imagine he could be great in a role as an assistant. This seems like exactly the type of move Saban would make though. An ex head coach who sucked as a head but excels at an aspect of coaching. Put him on the staff and let him do what he knows best.

What in the he** would Butch excel at coaching?? Proper hydration?

Yep...Saban's MO. Most of those guys are just happy to land on a staff of a successful program and ride its coattails.

He failed because he was too afraid of failure. I think the pressure got to him. He seemed to weak mentally, the guy consistently made excuses for possibly losing a game before every big game (too young, first time flying, a lot of injuries).

A lot with Butch was mental. He never took risks, and always played it too safe. He should have thrown the clip board down and used common sense more.

The greatest coaches, the guys that win big aren’t afraid of the moment, and they most definitely aren’t afraid to fail.

Look at Les Mile’s Career, heck Saban started a true freshman QB after halftime in the Championship game over his “proven” guy that got them there and had only lost 2 games in his career. Would Butch have done that? Absolutely not. The guy wouldn’t even start Kamara over Hurd.

Nailed it. At no point did I ever feel like he was confident enough or not being defensive. That mentality was mirrored by a lot of our players

Who in the college game wouldn't want to meet the man behind the concepts of numbering teams and the use of a trash can to motivate the team in lieu of any actual leadership?

If an Alabama coach led them to their worst record in their history, I'd be all in favor of inviting him to Knoxville with a ̶r̶e̶d̶ orange carpet welcome and awarding him our highest honor. So now it all makes sense.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Butch interviewing for Analyst Role.

He would probably be a pretty good hire for something like that. He knows a pretty good bit about football i think. I think his failures at Tennessee are more related to his ibability to manage people and it spiraled out of control. Couple that with his ego and attempts to control any narrative and it was a complete disaster. But he did show some ability to coach football if he wasnt forced to make quick decisions.

Last edited:
He would probably be a pretty good hire for something like that. He knows a pretty good bit about football i think. I think his failures at Tennessee are more related to his ibability to manage people and it spiraled out of control. Couple that with his ego and attempts to control any narrative and it was a complete disaster. But he did show some ability to coach football if he wasnt forced go make quick decisions.

ATROCIOUS at player development. See OL.

Reactions: 1 person
ATROCIOUS at player development. See OL.

Yeah, that too. But i think you rely more on your position coaches to develop players at individual postions and the HC is jst supposed to pull it all together. So imo that would gp back to his inability to manage people, coaches included.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back