Butch Jones rumored to be in Tuscaloosa

This is as bad as David having Uriah killed for Bathsheba. The college football national championship isn't enough for Nick. Now he's going for our Life Championships too.

Reactions: 5 people
Butch went 50-27 (33-12) at two mid-major schools before he came to Tennessee, including 4 conference titles. Central Michigan and Cincinnati have both been messes since he left; I imagine both of those schools wouldn't mind having him back. He can be successful at a lower level of college football - he has before. I don't think he's cut out for basically any P5 job. If he is cut out for one, it'd have to be at a place with really low expectations.

Even at a big boy school like Tennessee, he didn't have any trouble recruiting. He certainly didn't fail at Tennessee because he couldn't attract talent. Butch's problem is that at this level, he was average at best (and horrible at worst) at basically every aspect of coaching other than recruiting. That's why he failed. If you place him at a level of CFB that isn't as competitive, he can be a pretty good coach.

True, I think he would do ok at an AAC/CUSA/MAC school, athough he wouldn’t be following Brian Kelly this time.

Butch went 50-27 (33-12) at two mid-major schools before he came to Tennessee, including 4 conference titles. Central Michigan and Cincinnati have both been messes since he left; I imagine both of those schools wouldn't mind having him back. He can be successful at a lower level of college football - he has before. I don't think he's cut out for basically any P5 job. If he is cut out for one, it'd have to be at a place with really low expectations.

Even at a big boy school like Tennessee, he didn't have any trouble recruiting. He certainly didn't fail at Tennessee because he couldn't attract talent. Butch's problem is that at this level, he was average at best (and horrible at worst) at basically every aspect of coaching other than recruiting. That's why he failed. If you place him at a level of CFB that isn't as competitive, he can be a pretty good coach.

He failed because he was a control freak

Reactions: 1 person
He failed because he was a control freak

He failed because he was too afraid of failure. I think the pressure got to him. He seemed to weak mentally, the guy consistently made excuses for possibly losing a game before every big game (too young, first time flying, a lot of injuries).

A lot with Butch was mental. He never took risks, and always played it too safe. He should have thrown the clip board down and used common sense more.

The greatest coaches, the guys that win big aren’t afraid of the moment, and they most definitely aren’t afraid to fail.

Look at Les Mile’s Career, heck Saban started a true freshman QB after halftime in the Championship game over his “proven” guy that got them there and had only lost 2 games in his career. Would Butch have done that? Absolutely not. The guy wouldn’t even start Kamara over Hurd.

Reactions: 7 people
He failed because he was too afraid of failure. I think the pressure got to him. He seemed to weak mentally, the guy consistently made excuses for possibly losing a game before every big game (too young, first time flying, a lot of injuries).

A lot with Butch was mental. He never took risks, and always played it too safe. He should have thrown the clip board down and used common sense more.

The greatest coaches, the guys that win big aren’t afraid of the moment, and they most definitely aren’t afraid to fail.

Look at Les Mile’s Career, heck Saban started a true freshman QB after halftime in the Championship game over his “proven” guy that got them there and had only lost 2 games in his career. Would Butch have done that? Absolutely not. The guy wouldn’t even start Kamara over Hurd.

I definitely think he has a problem with criticism, and he seemed to want to be respected the same as a guy like Saban even though he hadn't earned it yet.

His cliches and slogans and robotic personality didn't help either, though if he won it would haven't been nearly as big of a deal. But I compare him to a guy like Barnes; Barnes has done a great job but also has things you can criticize him for, but one thing I don't hear a lot of criticism for his sometimes brutal honesty.

I definitely think he has a problem with criticism, and he seemed to want to be respected the same as a guy like Saban even though he hadn't earned it yet.

His cliches and slogans and robotic personality didn't help either, though if he won it would haven't been nearly as big of a deal. But I compare him to a guy like Barnes; Barnes has done a great job but also has things you can criticize him for, but one thing I don't hear a lot of criticism for his sometimes brutal honesty.

What I like about Barnes is he expects to win no matter the opponent. He has never made an excuse.

Reactions: 4 people

Spot dang on! Butch was a master....a master at making excuses for losing before his team played and lost to cover up for his failures. He planted that seed and some folks fell for it until they finally figured it out. I was done.....DONE with Butch when he came up with the 60% of his team had never flown on a plane before the days leading up to the 2015 Florida game and then he laid a big turd in that game...At that point Butch proved he was over his head. He was over his head before that but that game was the final nail for me.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back