Butch Jones rumored to be in Tuscaloosa

Saban is arrogant enough to make Jones his redemption project.

Tried it with Lane.
Was about to try it with Freeze

I would have chosen Freeze over Butch. Freeze made Saban his B several times. I'm still trying to understand that Saban move but when you win like him you can do what you want. He's a little too close to be though..I'm about 45 mins from Drill Sargent Butch.

I found an article where analyst at Clemson makes 90K. Alabama appears to be cheap.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Is this a part time job?

In another thread it was said that Butch was going to Volunteer at his son's HS.

Is he moving to gumpaloosa?

What a culture shock for the Jones'.

I found an article where analyst at Clemson makes 90K. Alabama appears to be cheap.

That should tell you all you need to know about what they get in return. The fallen go to be attached to the success thats gonna happen regardless of whether they are there.

I would have chosen Freeze over Butch. Freeze made Saban his B several times. I'm still trying to understand that Saban move but when you win like him you can do what you want. He's a little too close to be though..I'm about 45 mins from Drill Sargent Butch.

What Alabama is getting in analysts are former head coaches with tons of experience that can chart teams tendencies and preferences on offense and defense in down and distance scenarios. I would expect that coaches like Butch and Sark are much better at that Chris Weinke if only because they have many more years of doing it.

I doubt Saban has an desire to rehabilitate old coaches. He sees someone that he can get cheap that has decades of film charting experience. In case you don't know, there is no decision-making in film charting. Down, Distance, play call. That's it. For Butch and Sark, the value is having Saban on their resume.

Lastly, there is no Butch over Freeze here. Butch is going to make about 2.7 million this year, with or without Saban. There is no way Freeze was going to take an analyst position this year. It would cost him that much to move. Next year, if he doesn't land an on the field job, we will see.

Butch went 50-27 (33-12) at two mid-major schools before he came to Tennessee, including 4 conference titles. Central Michigan and Cincinnati have both been messes since he left; I imagine both of those schools wouldn't mind having him back. He can be successful at a lower level of college football - he has before. I don't think he's cut out for basically any P5 job. If he is cut out for one, it'd have to be at a place with really low expectations.

Even at a big boy school like Tennessee, he didn't have any trouble recruiting. He certainly didn't fail at Tennessee because he couldn't attract talent. Butch's problem is that at this level, he was average at best (and horrible at worst) at basically every aspect of coaching other than recruiting. That's why he failed. If you place him at a level of CFB that isn't as competitive, he can be a pretty good coach.

I don't think Butch was as good of a recruiter as some think. His 2 best classes he signed over 30 recruits which skewed those 2 rankings. His 2 best classes #4 and #7 had 31+ signees. If you base it off the per player ranking, neither class would have been top 10. There was definitely some wasted talent and horrible development. Truthfully a decent recruiter should be able to have us consistently in the top 10. Butch's 5 year ranking average was #14. Take away the #4 class and it drops to a #16 average. Throw in how many guys he's ran off from his 5 classes. It would be different if guys were leaving because they were buried on the depth chart but most of them left before even trying to win the job.Butch also benefited from Following Brian Kelly his first 2 HC jobs and just had to not screw it up. I do think Butch gets another HC job, either in a non power conference or a lower tier power 5 job like Cincinnati used to be or Like an Illinois, Indiana, Iowa St( Most Yrs) or VA. He doesn't handle pressure or high expectations well, so somewhere with limited expectations.

Reactions: 1 person
What Alabama is getting in analysts are former head coaches with tons of experience that can chart teams tendencies and preferences on offense and defense in down and distance scenarios. I would expect that coaches like Butch and Sark are much better at that Chris Weinke if only because they have many more years of doing it.

I doubt Saban has an desire to rehabilitate old coaches. He sees someone that he can get cheap that has decades of film charting experience. In case you don't know, there is no decision-making in film charting. Down, Distance, play call. That's it. For Butch and Sark, the value is having Saban on their resume.

Lastly, there is no Butch over Freeze here. Butch is going to make about 2.7 million this year, with or without Saban. There is no way Freeze was going to take an analyst position this year. It would cost him that much to move. Next year, if he doesn't land an on the field job, we will see.

Oh I know, I just meant I was shocked he didn't go with Freeze as his OC. But Saban wouldn't have let him run that fast paced offense the way he likes with the strain it would have put on his defense. I'm shocked Butch's ego and control freak demeanor would let him take an off the field job. I just can't see a non coaching position improving his coaching resume. I'm not sure I would even want Butch breaking down film. If there's any way to screw up that position, Butch will be the one to do it. I hope Saban can get it cleared and get Butch on his staff. Get him far away from Knoxville as possible.Oh ok, I didn't fully understand how the buyout worked. I knew getting a job would lessen what TN has to pay but didn't know he got all his first year money regardless. But Analysts can still work with players during practice and be on the sidelines during games. I wouldn't want Butch anywhere near the practice field. Typically analysts are guys inspiring to get into coaching and learning the ropes, similar to GA's but they get paid.

The Butch Jones Ballad

Like heartbroken little girls often do and do way too so much
Whining Vols fans, I was your Butch and you were touched
For a while at least, I loved you, you semi-loved me, well, never mind
Since then all you've done has been complaining and crying all the time
You and your clan remain at home
So you're not whining entirely alone
But nobody's calling on the telephone

Now some people are good and some people are bad
The bad keep putting poor Butch down, and brag
Making fun of the slightest real or made up misfortune
It doesn't hurt ole Butch, but makes you feel better I presume

[Ok, I'm done making fun of you guys-for real]

I don't think Butch was as good of a recruiter as some think. His 2 best classes he signed over 30 recruits which skewed those 2 rankings. His 2 best classes #4 and #7 had 31+ signees. If you base it off the per player ranking, neither class would have been top 10. There was definitely some wasted talent and horrible development. Truthfully a decent recruiter should be able to have us consistently in the top 10. Butch's 5 year ranking average was #14. Take away the #4 class and it drops to a #16 average. Throw in how many guys he's ran off from his 5 classes. It would be different if guys were leaving because they were buried on the depth chart but most of them left before even trying to win the job.Butch also benefited from Following Brian Kelly his first 2 HC jobs and just had to not screw it up. I do think Butch gets another HC job, either in a non power conference or a lower tier power 5 job like Cincinnati used to be or Like an Illinois, Indiana, Iowa St( Most Yrs) or VA. He doesn't handle pressure or high expectations well, so somewhere with limited expectations.

They only count the top 20 recruits towards your rankings. The excess did nothing to bump em up. And even if they counted , since two per class usually were low-rated blueshirts from the previous season, they would have knocked their ranking down further.

Oh I know, I just meant I was shocked he didn't go with Freeze as his OC. But Saban wouldn't have let him run that fast paced offense the way he likes with the strain it would have put on his defense. I'm shocked Butch's ego and control freak demeanor would let him take an off the field job. I just can't see a non coaching position improving his coaching resume. I'm not sure I would even want Butch breaking down film. If there's any way to screw up that position, Butch will be the one to do it. I hope Saban can get it cleared and get Butch on his staff. Get him far away from Knoxville as possible.Oh ok, I didn't fully understand how the buyout worked. I knew getting a job would lessen what TN has to pay but didn't know he got all his first year money regardless. But Analysts can still work with players during practice and be on the sidelines during games. I wouldn't want Butch anywhere near the practice field. Typically analysts are guys inspiring to get into coaching and learning the ropes, similar to GA's but they get paid.

10-4. I would love to know the conversations between Saban and Freeze.

I am pretty sure analysts are not on the field at all during practice or games. I know they are in coaches meetings, but I am not sure what direct contact they have with players. I could be wrong, so don't hate on me, just ridicule my ignorance. :)

They only count the top 20 recruits towards your rankings. The excess did nothing to bump em up. And even if they counted , since two per class usually were low-rated blueshirts from the previous season, they would have knocked their ranking down further.

That's my point. It's a lot easier to get a few extra 4* guys when you are signing 32-33. Increases the odds of the highest 20 rated recruits being higher.The odds are gonna be in your favor to get a few higher rated players. That's why a team's per player average is more telling. Especially when everyone doesn't sign the exact same amount each class. But that's not how it works on 247 anyway. You get allotted points for every signing. Think it was rivals who does that or used to. Not sure how they even do it now. 247 even says it in their formula. You get credit for EVERY commitment in that years class. Rivals could still do the 20 thing but I only pay attention to 247.

10-4. I would love to know the conversations between Saban and Freeze.

I am pretty sure analysts are not on the field at all during practice or games. I know they are in coaches meetings, but I am not sure what direct contact they have with players. I could be wrong, so don't hate on me, just ridicule my ignorance. :)

I didn't think so either, but I had to look it up out of curiosity.I had heard it both ways, so I didn't know which was right.They can be on the field during practice and on the sidelines during games. I always thought it was purely an office and errand boy job. I learned something new today.I'm with you, I would love to hear a conversation between Saban and Freeze. Freeze's offense gave Saban fits.

Analysts provide manpower and brainpower to football powers

VN Store

Back