Butch Jones- Post-Game: Oklahoma

He acts like he keeps the ball because that is the play action. If he keeps the ball ...he passes into a layered west coast route system . This is the hallmark of this system . The play action , in theory , generates a pause by the defense . If the QB allows the hand off ...the back reads the gaps and picks an inside gap or cuts back to the H gap or another designated gap . This is the same action a QB takes when he is running the zone read .

The dive option by the running backs should answer most of all of your questions. The coach wants the running backs running the zone read ...not the QB .

So you run this formation to be multiple at the point of attack and to execute the passing game. When it is blocked well ...it is very effective and hard to stop .

I suppose Butch keeps mentioning it to make defenses practice for it and people keep asking about it.. It is not going to happen here and now . This is not Oregons offense. This is a West Coast passing game first and foremost , rooted in Rich Rod spread philosophy.

I understand the play action, I was more specifically meaning Worley actually rolls out and runs after handing it off.

I understand the play action, I was more specifically meaning Worley actually rolls out and runs after handing it off.

That is a Wing T type of action . There are multiple fakes going in multiple directions on every play. Do not pay attention to just the QB fake , there are others . All of this mis-direction is meant to pause the defense. The problem right now is blocking . We can fake all we want , in any multitude of ways , but if the front is not blocking well it is not going to help . when the front blocks well ..this is a fun offense to watch .

Typically you are going to see 2-3 QB runs a game , they are by design and not by read . You will almost never see it against a 34 defense because of their inherent ability to hold the H gap . The zone read you are looking for is by the RBs ...but they have not gotten into a rhythm with it yet and are slow on recognition . It will improve

Reactions: 1 person
That is a Wing T type of action . There are multiple fakes going in multiple directions on every play. Do not pay attention to just the QB fake , there are others . All of this mis-direction is meant to pause the defense. The problem right now is blocking . We can fake all we want , in any multitude of ways , but if the front is not blocking well it is not going to help . when the front blocks well ..this is a fun offense to watch .

Typically you are going to see 2-3 QB runs a game , they are by design and not by read . You will almost never see it against a 34 defense because of their inherent ability to hold the H gap . The zone read you are looking for is by the RBs ...but they have not gotten into a rhythm with it yet and are slow on recognition . It will improve

Here.

Coach Bajakian on Worley:
"Bajakian was asked why Worley doesn't run more and if he's been told not to keep the ball when the Vols run the zone read option.

"Not at all," Bajakian said. "In our zone read concepts, he's got the green light to pull the ball whenever he sees fit. There were probably two opportunities against Oklahoma when I thought he should have. A lot of times, that's a judgment call. I told him, ‘When in doubt, hand it out.' But there are certain times where it's ‘you should've pulled it because it ended up a zero-yard gain or a negative play. Over the course of the season, I think he's done a decent job."

Last edited:
Here.

Coach Bajakian on Worley:
"Bajakian was asked why Worley doesn't run more and if he's been told not to keep the ball when the Vols run the zone read option.

"Not at all," Bajakian said. "In our zone read concepts, he's got the green light to pull the ball whenever he sees fit. There were probably two opportunities against Oklahoma when I thought he should have. A lot of times, that's a judgment call. I told him, ‘When in doubt, hand it out.' But there are certain times where it's ‘you should've pulled it because it ended up a zero-yard gain or a negative play. Over the course of the season, I think he's done a decent job."

I agree . 2-3 a game is what I said . I think he is pulling your leg here ...the QB keep option is almost always a pass. Even at Cinci with a runner at QB ...the option was a pass. That guy would get 30 yards every time he ran ...but only ran 2-3 times a game . This is a passing offense and the occasional QB run is only a very minor counter action ...that is why they are recruiting pro-style packet QBs.

This will all look much better and be much more effective when the O-line can hold their blocks for 3.4 seconds . The top layer routes will develop , the D will get out of the box , and the running game will open up .

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back