Butch Jones- Post-Game: Oklahoma

I totally agree and after watching these interviews you can tell that CBJ needed to make some changes. It was obvious that we lost because of our coaching. First time I heard CBJ talk about another teams scheme.

Obvious we lost due to coaching? Dude, that is crazy. Did I question some calls, yes. But we were totally outmatched by OU and coaching was never going to make up that ground.

I have to agree with sjt18 here . With the Oline as undeveloped as it is ....no formation or play call was going to be effective here. Okie beat the heck out of Bama and Bama was in their vaunted I form and max protect for much of the game

Okie sat on the receivers and run gaps for most of the game knowing that our Oline would not give us time to develop the top layer of routes.

You cant throw slants or screens into that underneath mass. This QB keeper that everyone loves to hope for was not there ...the H gap was covered up by edged out guys

The only thing they could have done was pack it into a single wing and pound the rock and hope for the best . If the O cannot block in other formations , there is no reason to think they could block a single or max protect . It didnt work for Bama. The result woulda been the same

To each his own.

The OL is bad but that doesnt change my opinion of the OC.

Good grief people, 80% of our team are freshmen who has never played a team that talented and probably never will again. we did all we could and it had nothing to do with coaching. It did have everything to do with inexperience. The coaches hands are tied on what they can call. Once we get the experience the playbook will open.

Reactions: 3 people
I never cease to be amazed by the guys that think play calling solves everything. I'd hate to see the numbers on how many plays went for 0 or negative yardage. The calls really didn't matter.

Only thing I saw all night that I thought was dumb were those jet sweeps.

Does it solve everything? No. But having a coordinator that can put a scheme together with the players that he has, and can adjust his game plan depending on what's happening on the field is not unheard of in college football. Plenty of other teams have been in similar situations, and had coordinators that managed to put together something with the players that he had at his disposal.

Seriously, Bajakian gets paid a lot of money to do just that,and guys like you want to give him a total pass when he fails.

I'm not calling him to be fired yet, but at some point we have to entertain the idea that what he is trying to do schematically isn't working with the personnel he has, and that not coming up with something else, is a failure of his position as offensive coordinator.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe Butch when he says UT is "goin', to be back, but he may need to rethink if Bajakian is part of that future. I'm sorry, but continuing to run the read option with these QBs and oline is pointless & confusing. NO ONE is buying the keeper and we really don't have a QB on the horizon to run this. Add his questionable play calling, I think his position should be rethought.

It's always a good idea to change your offensive philosophy mid-season. I'm surprise some of the better coaches in the conference haven't thought of this.

Does it solve everything? No. But having a coordinator that can put a scheme together with the players that he has, and can adjust his game plan depending on what's happening on the field is not unheard of in college football. Plenty of other teams have been in similar situations, and had coordinators that managed to put together something with the players that he had at his disposal.

Seriously, Bajakian gets paid a lot of money to do just that,and guys like you want to give him a total pass when he fails.

I'm not calling him to be fired yet, but at some point we have to entertain the idea that what he is trying to do schematically isn't working with the personnel he has, and that not coming up with something else, is a failure of his position as offensive coordinator.

The scheme he has is working ...it just did not work against Oklahoma . It wont work against Alabama either most likely , but has a great chance of working fine against every other team on our schedule .

This Okie D front blew Bama's tried and true I form up . I am not sure what a freshman laden O line could do against this front . I am interested to hear what scheme you propose would be effective when their front will blow up our front : Wing T ? Veer ? Fun and Gun ? I form ? Wishbone ? Pro-set ?? Double wing ? single wing ?

I got news for you ...every one of those schemes requires blocking at the point of attack.

The way I saw it , the scheme we ran probed every aspect of this D . They threw bubbles , screens , ran inside , ran outside , and threw deep. Because we could not block , they sat on the receivers and played under and inside . WE had no time to get deep because their presure was instant . So throwing slants , shallow crosses , and waggles were out ...you are throwing into a crowded box. The H gap was covered up by their flared backers ...no QB keeps or cutbacks

The only answer in this scheme or any scheme is to attack deep and be successful ...backing them out of the box . Our o-line just could not give us time.

The only problem I have is the read option doesn't work if the QB never keeps the ball. I don't know if they tell Worley not to run the ball but if the defense knows who's carrying the ball everytime it's difficult to run it. Also they could basically time the snap because the guard would tap Crowder and he would snap.

The only problem I have is the read option doesn't work if the QB never keeps the ball. I don't know if they tell Worley not to run the ball but if the defense knows who's carrying the ball everytime it's difficult to run it. Also they could basically time the snap because the guard would tap Crowder and he would snap.

I am not sure why this keeps being said . We dont run a QB zone read offense. WE run a dive based offense . The QB has read #1 to A ) hand off or B ) pull the ball and pick it up and pass into a layered west coast passing pattern.
The running back has read #2. He can go to 1 of 2 forward gaps or cut back to the H gap . At no point is the QB run an option.

When you see the 2 or 3 QB runs ...they are not reads , but designed runs. They are called when the H gap is abandoned or when the QB is left unassigned .

There is no QB read keeper here . The QB option is to pull the ball and pass it , short , medium , or deep .

Even if we were a 'read option' team ...we could not have ran a QB keeper last night for the same reason the backs were unsuccessful at their cut backs. Okie shored up the H gap by flaring their outside backers .

Please stop this QB keep thing ...it is not what this offense does. You are not going to see that anymore than you are going to see the triple option.

I don't understand this read option thing yet. And damn we got hammered some - but we did move down the field a few times as well against a good defense.

I can understand our line not busting big holes in the line that takes strength and drive - but damn, our guys weren't even getting in front of them or worse yet sliding over and giving their D-line straight shots. Need to stand those guys up and let the whole team taking a running wollop on 'em.
If anybody needs to be fired it's the O-line coach. He needs to take them to bball practice and teach them how to slide their feet and take a charge - at least it would give worley 3 seconds instead of 1!!

No doubt our play calling is not SEC level. O coordinator may be the first change CBJ makes on this staff.

Coaches and systems always look better when they have experienced and talented players to run them. Butch is getting the talent level up to top tier level, but experience only comes with time. Elite football teams are not made in a microwave. IMO, no coaching changes should be made at either coordinator for at least two more years. Give them the opportunity to play games with players they recruited and have been in our program for 2 or 3 years minimum. Switch the coaching staffs on Saturday and I think the result would be the same.

Reactions: 2 people
Really hard to stomach the level of ignorance of some of our fans..we are unranked young team on the road against the #4 team in the country and 2 or 3 plays away from an upset and you question the OC. #retardation

As the OL gets better, we will make those plays productive..and if we do not run them now then they never get the experience they need to get better.

Reactions: 7 people
Coaches and systems always look better when they have experienced and talented players to run them. Butch is getting the talent level up to top tier level, but experience only comes with time. Elite football teams are not made in a microwave. IMO, no coaching changes should be made at either coordinator for at least two more years. Give them the opportunity to play games with players they recruited and have been in our program for 2 or 3 years minimum. Switch the coaching staffs on Saturday and I think the result would be the same.

well said .

Reactions: 1 person
With the QB we have, and Dormady coming in, all they need to do IMO is tweak the offense and run it similar to how Peyton runs it in Denver. Instead of a bogus fake handoff on every play, just execute the play. If a run, the. Hand it off. If pass, throw it. All out of the shotgun.

All our bogus fake handoff does is delay the play a split second, and allow the defense to cue on our RBs.

Just run it like Peyton ,that should be a easy task for a college QB .

Not sure why this keeps coming up . The QB does not keep it and run in this offense . There is a zone read ...but it is by the RBs. They run alot of dive plays and the RB have a 2 or 3 gap option. When the QB pulls the hand-off , he pulls up and passes into a layered west coast system . The QB 'keeper' is not a read here and not a real part of this offense. The QB pass is the option. An occasional QB counter is run ...but it is a design run and it is a one or two time a game thing . It is a simple counter to an empty H gap and is by design ...not QB read . The H gap was not open all night

Whatever you 'zone read' guys are perceiving and hoping for is not going to happen ...it is just not part of this offense.

Then why did CBJ make a comment earlier in the year about Worley needing to keep the ball more?

Reactions: 1 person
Really hard to stomach the level of ignorance of some of our fans..we are unranked young team on the road against the #4 team in the country and 2 or 3 plays away from an upset and you question the OC. #retardation

As the OL gets better, we will make those plays productive..and if we do not run them now then they never get the experience they need to get better.

Agree , but most don't realize that we were a fumble and Int from being a real close game.

Couple of dummies here. ^

Really? Cause Worley has actually kept it on 3 plays in 2 years. None of which where huge gains. It's just dumb to pretend to run it. We recruited the best RB in the state, and we ran the ball ZERO times the first 3 possessions.

I am not sure why this keeps being said . We dont run a QB zone read offense. WE run a dive based offense . The QB has read #1 to A ) hand off or B ) pull the ball and pick it up and pass into a layered west coast passing pattern.
The running back has read #2. He can go to 1 of 2 forward gaps or cut back to the H gap . At no point is the QB run an option.

When you see the 2 or 3 QB runs ...they are not reads , but designed runs. They are called when the H gap is abandoned or when the QB is left unassigned .

There is no QB read keeper here . The QB option is to pull the ball and pass it , short , medium , or deep .

Even if we were a 'read option' team ...we could not have ran a QB keeper last night for the same reason the backs were unsuccessful at their cut backs. Okie shored up the H gap by flaring their outside backers .

Please stop this QB keep thing ...it is not what this offense does. You are not going to see that anymore than you are going to see the triple option.
Then why do all the QBs practice keeping the ball? Why does he act like be has the ball after he hands it off in games? Why does CBJ talk about Worley keeping the ball? Why even use that formation?

Last edited:
It's always a good idea to change your offensive philosophy mid-season. I'm surprise some of the better coaches in the conference haven't thought of this.

Where in my post do I say that? Is reading comprehension difficult for you?

Then why do all the QBs practice keeping the ball? Why does he act like be has the ball after he hands it off in games? Why does CBJ talk about Worley keeping the ball? Why even use that formation?

He acts like he keeps the ball because that is the play action. If he keeps the ball ...he passes into a layered west coast route system . This is the hallmark of this system . The play action , in theory , generates a pause by the defense . If the QB allows the hand off ...the back reads the gaps and picks an inside gap or cuts back to the H gap or another designated gap . This is the same action a QB takes when he is running the zone read .

The dive option by the running backs should answer most of all of your questions. The coach wants the running backs running the zone read ...not the QB .

So you run this formation to be multiple at the point of attack and to execute the passing game. When it is blocked well ...it is very effective and hard to stop .

I suppose Butch keeps mentioning it to make defenses practice for it and people keep asking about it.. It is not going to happen here and now . This is not Oregons offense. This is a West Coast passing game first and foremost , rooted in Rich Rod spread philosophy.

VN Store

Back