Butch Jones- Post-Game: Oklahoma

For those of you who keep criticizing the coaches for not allowing Worley to run with the ball, consider that he was already taking punishment inside the pocket. I'm sure they didn't want him to get injured.

Reactions: 2 people
For those of you who keep criticizing the coaches for not allowing Worley to run with the ball, consider that he was already taking punishment inside the pocket. I'm sure they didn't want him to get injured.

I might agree if it weren't for the fact that he has done this in every single game prior to tonight.

The majority of this loss was a desparity in talent and in experience, not coaching.

I never cease to be amazed by the guys that think play calling solves everything. I'd hate to see the numbers on how many plays went for 0 or negative yardage. The calls really didn't matter.

Only thing I saw all night that I thought was dumb were those jet sweeps.

Reactions: 1 person
Foolish statement. We are talented and young. They are talented but loaded with juniors and seniors.

OK will lose most of their OL and Defensive playmakers to the NFL this year.. We owe them a complete ball crushing next season at home.. I hope Jones told Stoops at the end of the game.. "See you next year at our place":)

I never cease to be amazed by the guys that think play calling solves everything. I'd hate to see the numbers on how many plays went for 0 or negative yardage. The calls really didn't matter.

it's quite possible our first down yard avg was close to zero or even negative. A couple of years ago, it seems we went games without converting 3rd downs. Yes, bajack made some bad calls. He also made some calls and we got more 3rd downs vs a tops in the nation D than their explosive offense got against our still rebuilding D with freshmen everywhere.

OK will lose most of their OL and Defensive playmakers to the NFL this year.. We owe them a complete ball crushing next season at home.. I hope Jones told Stoops at the end of the game.. "See you next year at our place":)

Yeah and leave your replay officials at home.

Thought the 5-wide interception was going to be a QB keeper. OKlahoma were selling out on pass defense, rushing 3 and the middle of the field was wide open. Pig also got open on the right slant. Can't blame play-calling there as options were available.

I thought we moved the football much better in the second half when the TE's stayed back in pass protection to give Worley a little more time. Pretty sure these adjustments limited play calling in a TE heavy offense.

Play calling was all Big East. Running that fly sweep against a faster defense on their 2 yard line was senseless. We did very little to help Worley in the third quarter until we decided to run the ball. I was screaming at the TV to trap the middle for a couple of series.

I believe Butch when he says UT is "goin', to be back, but he may need to rethink if Bajakian is part of that future. I'm sorry, but continuing to run the read option with these QBs and oline is pointless & confusing. NO ONE is buying the keeper and we really don't have a QB on the horizon to run this. Add his questionable play calling, I think his position should be rethought.

Not sure why this keeps coming up . The QB does not keep it and run in this offense . There is a zone read ...but it is by the RBs. They run alot of dive plays and the RB have a 2 or 3 gap option. When the QB pulls the hand-off , he pulls up and passes into a layered west coast system . The QB 'keeper' is not a read here and not a real part of this offense. The QB pass is the option. An occasional QB counter is run ...but it is a design run and it is a one or two time a game thing . It is a simple counter to an empty H gap and is by design ...not QB read . The H gap was not open all night

Whatever you 'zone read' guys are perceiving and hoping for is not going to happen ...it is just not part of this offense.

Reactions: 3 people

The sweeps, delayed inside WR screens and throwing those screens to Smith.
Smith has a spot in this offense but the flares to him hoping hes gonna make that guy miss is futile in a game like that.

Thats true.

But that also doesnt mean the OC is legit either.

I have to agree with sjt18 here . With the Oline as undeveloped as it is ....no formation or play call was going to be effective here. Okie beat the heck out of Bama and Bama was in their vaunted I form and max protect for much of the game

Okie sat on the receivers and run gaps for most of the game knowing that our Oline would not give us time to develop the top layer of routes.

You cant throw slants or screens into that underneath mass. This QB keeper that everyone loves to hope for was not there ...the H gap was covered up by edged out guys

The only thing they could have done was pack it into a single wing and pound the rock and hope for the best . If the O cannot block in other formations , there is no reason to think they could block a single or max protect . It didnt work for Bama. The result woulda been the same

Every...single...game!

They work once in a while, but have become so predictable for UT to run that it's easy for a defense to pick up on.

I believe Butch when he says UT is "goin', to be back, but he may need to rethink if Bajakian is part of that future. I'm sorry, but continuing to run the read option with these QBs and oline is pointless & confusing. NO ONE is buying the keeper and we really don't have a QB on the horizon to run this. Add his questionable play calling, I think his position should be rethought.

With the QB we have, and Dormady coming in, all they need to do IMO is tweak the offense and run it similar to how Peyton runs it in Denver. Instead of a bogus fake handoff on every play, just execute the play. If a run, the. Hand it off. If pass, throw it. All out of the shotgun.

All our bogus fake handoff does is delay the play a split second, and allow the defense to cue on our RBs.

Score 13-7. Oklahoma fumbles. Big 12 replay crew would never overturn and did not. Take 7 points off Okies' score. 3rd and 2 inside the 5. Worley throws interception returned for touchdown. Add 7 to Okies' score and subtract 7 from Tennessee. Net +7 for Tennessee. Score 14-13. Does the rest of the game play differently? That's just how close we really were. 2 plays, 1 each, against Georgia and Vandy stopped us from being 7-5 instead of 5-7. He is right. :good!:

This has been especially true for UT vs. UF in the past few years in many games - 1 or 2 plays that set the tempo which usually has UT playing "uphill" the rest of the game.

It goes both ways. You could say the same thing for our opponents in games we won.

Yes, and that shows how close we were to losing some of those games. That doesn't make the argument any less valid. The point is that if we make a couple of plays instead of a couple of mistakes we're in the game with a chance at winning. Obviously that's not how it went, but it shows how much better we are since 2012 as that game would most likely not have been in reach if "that guy" was still our coach.

Football is a game of inches and big plays. I think when we get the talent to keep up with teams like OU with their ridiculous front 7 then I think we will start pulling these wins in with regularity.

All the people are saying when they talk about "2 plays" is the improvement you can see and the hope they have for the future.

With the QB we have, and Dormady coming in, all they need to do IMO is tweak the offense and run it similar to how Peyton runs it in Denver. Instead of a bogus fake handoff on every play, just execute the play. If a run, the. Hand it off. If pass, throw it. All out of the shotgun.

All our bogus fake handoff does is delay the play a split second, and allow the defense to cue on our RBs.

Exactly but we need to run some play action as well.

The read option buys time with a weak o-line. That split second during the hand off defenses have to freeze their lbs to adjust, not only against the two possible runs but against the play action.
The coaching was fine. Clearly a lot of folks don't know anything about football on here. When the difference in the score is turnovers and a botched review, your scheme did its job.
The defensive scheme worked really well and the offensive scheme was hampered by the line. There is not an offense in football that would have made our line better. If we ran the pro form, we wouldn't have moved the ball at all and Worley would be dead right now.
One last thing, a year ago that game is humiliating. Two years ago it would have been the end of our season. This year we fought a great team for sixty minutes and lost. We have to okay more great teams and we may lose some more games, but the days of rolling over and quitting are over.

I really love on this board that ANY alternative opinion is met with one of 3 responses: You're stupid & no nothing about football; you're not a real fan; or, you should go root for another team. So freaking lame...

VN Store

Back