Butch Jones is a liar!

Swain must be a joke as a "journalist" then. How long had he been covering this "truth" before Jones was fired? Waiting until he's fired to say only guarantees that he's been on his knees slurping him and the program for access for as long as he's know this "revelation". Can't have it both ways.

Swain is not a journalist, he is a radio show host.

He did do things at UT that hadn't ever been done before.

Most were bad. But some were good.

Why expect anything different from a northern guy? They just don't get SEC Football. :lolabove:

If Tennessee could've gave him 7 more years, I think we would beat vandy on a regular basis. Lol

Dobbs was MVP in all 3 bowl games...thank God that Butch had him...beat unranked Iowa, #12 AP at time Northwestern who finished # 23 AP, #24 AP at the time Nebraska who finished unranked in AP Top 25.

Let's dig further...

Jones is yet to win a matchup with a top 10 team, going 0-15 against teams rank No. 10 or higher in his career (0-13 while at Tennessee)

Combined 6-24 (.250) against ranked top 25 teams while at UT...2 of those were against bowl ranked teams...otherwise, he had an .143 winning % against ranked teams in the regular season at UT...LOL, that's embarrassing.

Let's don't even talk about Butch's record against the SEC conference...think the points been made, his results were pretty terrible from an elite-level perspective.

you're basically blaming CBJ for winning big you say NW finished 24 and Nebraska unranked. Both would've finished ranked and NW probably top ten of we'd lost

Why expect anything different from a northern guy? They just don't get SEC Football. :lolabove:

I'll just say it, he was your typical pig-headed Yankee (hold on, not all are pig-headed). Lived and worked around a ton of them, like mostly all of them. They called me 'hillbilly', LOL...Just did not care for the ones who 'think' they are superior to people who have a Southern twang.

CBJ was thin-skinned, defensive and paranoid at times...he thought he was above certain people and points of view. Nothing wrong with that, but facts are facts. Not a 'natural' good fit with the UT values and culture, in my view.

Reactions: 1 person
you're basically blaming CBJ for winning big you say NW finished 24 and Nebraska unranked. Both would've finished ranked and NW probably top ten of we'd lost

UMMMM... NO. I DID NOT.

That said, you have a valid point on the surface, they would have likely if they won.

From a micro perspective, what do these bowl opponents look like after the bowl games were played...Strength of Schedule (SOS); a rating of strength of schedule and Simple Rating System (SRS); a rating that takes into account average point differential and strength of schedule.

NW finished RANKED: #31 per SOS & #37 SRS

Nebraska finished RANKED: #37 SOS & #35 SRS

Iowa, if one cares, finished RANKED: #68 SOS & #64 SRS

Last edited:
I don't know why he keeps telling the media that we hadn't won 9 games in 15 20 years. We won 10 games in 2007. I cant believe this guy!

You do realize he makes himself look like an idiot when he says these things, right?

Take solace in that my VolNation brother..

Didn’t realize Butch was still our HC....

Who cares?

Move on to the next chapter.

Botch Jones was once a man.
He was once 40.
But, he was never the man for the job.

He just misrepresents the truth and never believed Tennessee was elite enough to warrant the expectations placed on him. Glad he's gone.

Someone needs to explain to him that Tennessee isn't Cincinnati. The SEC isn't the MAC.

Thankfully, Pruitt already knows all of this and doesn't require a 5-year learning curve to understand it.

If he was talking just about injuries, fine. It's not clear what he meant. He has had a team go 4-8 before though. His first team at Cincinnati in 2010 went 4-8 just one year after Brian Kelly had gone 12-1 and finished his 3 year tenure at Cincinnati with a 34-6 record. It's a little strong to call Jones' statements "lies" but it's fair to say that he was trying to sugarcoat his time here. There is not a good excuse for a coach going 4-8 at Tennessee in his 5th season. I've not seen him take any personal accountability for that at all.

When immediately observable truths that support a sequence of statements are a matter of record, it is disingenuous of the OP to ignore them and roll out "alternate facts" to fabricate a strawman he may then call a liar.
It's false logic.

Others dragging truths that are outside the scope of Jones's statements linked in the OP(red herrings), and are obviously not what he was referring to are performing no better. Logic fails abound.

You all want to have a "We all pissed at Butch pity party", go right ahead, but do your High School English Lit teacher proud and show some reading comprehension paired with a knowledge of UT sports stats.

And in other news, how are the Grudenites going to spin Chucky going to the Raiders as a smokescreen?

When immediately observable truths that support a sequence of statements are a matter of record, it is disingenuous of the OP to ignore them and roll out "alternate facts" to fabricate a strawman he may then call a liar.
It's false logic.

Others dragging truths that are outside the scope of Jones's statements linked in the OP(red herrings), and are obviously not what he was referring to are performing no better. Logic fails abound.

You all want to have a "We all pissed at Butch pity party", go right ahead, but do your High School English Lit teacher proud and show some reading comprehension paired with a knowledge of UT sports stats.

Really? You are going to make this statement to VN?

:thud:

Butch Jones improved our program over where it was during the Dooley years. That being said, there were several dozen other coaches who could have done the same for the same price or less. I hold no ill will towards the man, but I don't exactly have warm feelings towards him either at this point. Meh, he is nothing but a historical side note now.

VN Store

Back