Butch Jones Discussion

This is a very misleading fact. We'd easily get beat by the top 5 teams in the sec west

What top 5 teams are you referring to?

TX A & M? We took them to OT with 7 turnovers at their place.

Ole Miss - Vandy beat them

LSU - FL beat them

Auburn - GA beat them

We would beat every team in the west except maybe Bama.

We are dealing with unproveable hypotheticals aren't we?

Any other coach in America benches Dobbs in the second half of the SC game. Especially, given his turnover issues all year.

As poorly as Dobbs played he still had UT in a position to win.
But, what I was referencing was the many fans here saying Dobbs should be benched AFTER the USC game.

Reactions: 1 person
As poorly as Dobbs played he still had UT in a position to win.
But, what I was referencing was the many fans here saying Dobbs should be benched AFTER the USC game.

Our defense kept us in a position to win that game, not our offense to be certainly clear about that.... IT was abundantly clear that Dobbs he was not going to be able to pass the ball and the defense was going to stop the run.... Given how that game played out with him staying in and not helping us out, giving QD some early series with the starters was a fair argument. Especially, since we were playing Tenn Tech and UK.

Dobbs has a big share of the blame for the South Carolina loss that kept us from going to Atlanta.

Our defense kept us in a position to win that game, not our offense to be certainly clear about that.... IT was abundantly clear that Dobbs he was not going to be able to pass the ball and the defense was going to stop the run.... Given how that game played out with him staying in and not helping us out, giving QD some early series with the starters was a fair argument. Especially, since we were playing Tenn Tech and UK.

Dobbs has a big share of the blame for the South Carolina loss that kept us from going to Atlanta.

Yeah I guess when he got called for holding on his TD run and knocking the ball out of his own hand on that fumble really hurt our chances. The whole team sucked, including the defense.

And again I was specifically referring to people talking about AFTER that game.

Any other coach in America benches Dobbs in the second half of the SC game. Especially, given his turnover issues all year.

At a minimum, many coaches would have at least given Dormady a few series to see what he could do. If the first series he throws a pick six, then Butch probably goes back to Dobbs. Of course, we'll never know but Dormady could have been a spark to the offense. Most anyone who follows TN football could see Dobbs had one of his worst if not worst games as a VOL. One did not need to wait until 1/2 through the 4th qtr. to see that.

In hindsight John Kelly should have had A LOT more touches this year and well before the Hurd departure.

Regardless of not meeting expectations or the disappointment this season, Butch does have us at 8-3 with a decent shot at the Citrus Bowl or possibly even the Sugar should we beat Vandy coupled with some losses by FL, AUB, A&M etc.

My feeling on the recent Champions of Life comment was Butch meant well but his timing was off. This would have been much better received by the VOL faithful had it come following a Sugar Bowl win. For example…Butch could have waited for the right time to say “these seniors are SUGAR BOWL CHAMPS and in my mind Champions of Life.”

I will still continue to support Butch however I can. He does need to beat Vandy handsomely and win the bowl game both of which I think he and his team will do.

GO VOLS!!!

Last edited:
What top 5 teams are you referring to?

TX A & M? We took them to OT with 7 turnovers at their place.

Ole Miss - Vandy beat them

LSU - FL beat them

Auburn - GA beat them

We would beat every team in the west except maybe Bama.

We are dealing with unproveable hypotheticals aren't we?

Oh snap...

At a minimum, many coaches would have at least given Dormandy a few series to see what he could do. If the first series he throws a pick six, then Butch probably goes back to Dobbs. Of course, we'll never know but Dormandy could have been a spark to the offense. Most anyone who follows TN football could see Dobbs had one of his worst if not worst games as a VOL. One did not need to wait until 1/2 through the 4th qtr. to see that.

In hindsight John Kelly should have had A LOT more touches this year and well before the Hurd departure.

Regardless of not meeting expectations or the disappointment this season, Butch does have us at 8-3 with a decent shot at the Citrus Bowl or possibly even the Sugar should we beat Vandy coupled with some losses by FL, AUB, A&M etc.

My feeling on the recent Champions of Life comment was Butch meant well but his timing was off. This would have been much better received by the VOL faithful had it come following a Sugar Bowl win. For example…Butch could have waited for the right time to say “these seniors are SUGAR BOWL CHAMPS and in my mind Champions of Life.”

I will still continue to support Butch however I can. He does need to beat Vandy handsomely and win the bowl game both of which I think he and his team will do.

GO VOLS!!!

Who is Dormandy?

Yeah I guess when he got called for holding on his TD run and knocking the ball out of his own hand on that fumble really hurt our chances. The whole team sucked, including the defense.

And again I was specifically referring to people talking about AFTER that game.

That fumble was on Dobbs... Even Butch came out and said that he didn't execute the fake. I guess the holding call is why Dobbs threw two balls in the dirt yards short of the receiver... He had a piss poor game and our defense kept us in it.... Butch committed malpractice that entire game.

I get that, but I dont think 18 year old kids do. When internet memes are bashing JRM, I dont think that will play well with a kid that wants to play LB. So the context is irrelevent if it is nationally percieved out of context.
So yeah, while the parents might like it, the kids will not. And if CBJ cant translate his championships in life to championships on the field, he isnt going to be coach here very long.
So as much as we like to say all this other stuff matters (and it does to me personally) it doesnt. Winning is the only thing that matters.

Everyone pointing to the Memes, tweets, etc is forgetting that that stuff has a shelf life of about 1 day. It will be something else by about 3pm today.

Everyone pointing to the Memes, tweets, etc is forgetting that that stuff has a shelf life of about 1 day. It will be something else by about 3pm today.

To you and I, not to 18 year old kids. I think you underestimate the power of social media amoung teenager

To you and I, not to 18 year old kids. I think you underestimate the power of social media amoung teenager

I'm not underestimating it at all.

That's the entire purpose of social media. Its constantly changing, new material. Nothing is permanent.

Kids don't have an attention span longer than a few minutes. They might have chuckled, but you are reading WAY too much into it if you think its going to be a long lasting thing, particularly if they already have an established relationship with Jones (and any 18 year old senior already does).

I'm not underestimating it at all.

That's the entire purpose of social media. Its constantly changing, new material. Nothing is permanent.

Kids don't have an attention span longer than a few minutes. They might have chuckled, but you are reading WAY too much into it if you think its going to be a long lasting thing, particularly if they already have an established relationship with Jones (and any 18 year old senior already does).
We will see. The reason I think it might be long lasting is because it will continue to be brought up. If we win a bowl, you think people arent going to make memes of a player with the trophy?

We will see. The reason I think it might be long lasting is because it will continue to be brought up. If we win a bowl, you think people arent going to make memes of a player with the trophy?

They probably will, but it isn't a big deal.

Every single school has some sort of negative meme. Its just how twitter works. People still bring up the Warriors blowing 3-1, Urban Meyer and A. Hernandez, Penn State, etc. It is what it is.

They probably will, but it isn't a big deal.

Every single school has some sort of negative meme. Its just how twitter works. People still bring up the Warriors blowing 3-1, Urban Meyer and A. Hernandez, Penn State, etc. It is what it is.
Yeah, and why would a highly sought after high school football player subject himself to knowingly be the butt of internet jokes? Hopefully you are right, time will tell.

Yeah, and why would a highly sought after high school football player subject himself to knowingly be the butt of internet jokes? Hopefully you are right, time will tell.

That was my point...every school is the butt of Internet jokes/memes.

Just because UT takes a turn being the meme of the day is irrelevant, especially to teenagers.

That was my point...every school is the butt of Internet jokes/memes.

Just because UT takes a turn being the meme of the day is irrelevant, especially to teenagers.

Dont really remember a top school being raked over the coaches after stupid comments from a current coach like Tennessee has been.

Earlier, in the Butch Jones discussion thread I was bashed for asking if Butch sealed his fate with this Champions of Life" nonsense.

I am and have been a Butch supporter and think anyone that questioned his job security is crazy.

However, kids do not like to be ridiculed and I dont see high touted recruits subjecting themselves to it.

It has begun.....

Last edited:
Earlier, in the Butch Jones discussion thread I was bashed for asking if Butch sealed his fate with this Champions of Life" nonsense.

I am and have been a Butch supporter and think anyone that questioned his job security is crazy.

However, kids do not like to be ridicules and I dont see high touted recruits subjecting themselves to it.

It has begun.....

972355d1426213929-beat-dead-horse-thread-image.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back